More Guns on Campus? - Newsweek's take - Page 2

More Guns on Campus? - Newsweek's take

This is a discussion on More Guns on Campus? - Newsweek's take within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to school yesterday and truly wished that my 45 were on my side. My situational awareness was crazy tense all day. I actually ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I went to school yesterday and truly wished that my 45 were on my side. My situational awareness was crazy tense all day. I actually thought about wearing my body armor openly as a statement; I also realized that could be construed as my being pro-defense OR anti-defense.

Two others and I discussed it. One agreed that he and I should be able to have our weapons on campus. The third said "That's silly." I asked him to justify his comment and he flat out admitted that he couldn't. Perhaps it's a planted seed.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I am all for concealed carry, but I am not sure about the idea of 18-21 yo's walking around with guns. I remember being in college and it wasn't the most mature of times for me. Maturity-wise, I would not(should not) have been given a permit for CC. Years have gone by since and that is a whole different story.

I am sure that there are students who are mature/wiser beyond their years but what about the others who tend to be on the wilder/irresponsible/less mature side? Carrying a gun is a HUGE responsibility. Sorry, but I just have mixed feelings about this....

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    I am all for concealed carry, but I am not sure about the idea of 18-21 yo's walking around with guns. I remember being in college and it wasn't the most mature of times for me. Maturity-wise, I would not(should not) have been given a permit for CC. Years have gone by since and that is a whole different story.

I am sure that there are students who are mature/wiser beyond their years but what about the others who tend to be on the wilder/irresponsible/less mature side? Carrying a gun is a HUGE responsibility. Sorry, but I just have mixed feelings about this....

It's not really about 18-21 yo's being able to carry guns. In most states you have to be atleast 21 to obtain a ccw anyway. I believe that students who are already licensed should be able to legally carry their weapons concealed on campus (considering the fact that these students are allowed to carry their weapons just about everywhere else). The problem is that detractors always want to make arguments suggesting that students are around alcohol and aren't mature enough to handle guns. Arguments of that nature are really a non-issue because students that are legally licensed already can take their guns several other places. Why not include campus as one of those places?
    "Campus "gun free zones" may make some people feel safer, but as recent events demonstrate, feeling safe is not the same as being safe."
    www.concealedcampus.org

In Minnesota, Anyone with a carry permit can carry on colleges and Universities. Colleges and Universities have made their own rules stating you will be brought up for discipline but no "legal" impacts just lose your job or get expelled.

For K-12, if you get written permission from the principal or superintendent you can carry. I know many folks here in MN that have this permission.

We need the legislature to make it explicit that Colleges and Universities can not bring up discipline against a carry permit holder or they lose state funding.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

The news reported that he had purchased TWO HANDGUNS IN THE SAME SHOP last saturday........hmmm........no "one a month" rule in Illinois, a state where the right to bear arms has been suspended?

cannon

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    It will take one or two times with armed professors or ccw stopping this madness and this foolish acting out will stop!When will our leaders wake up?
    Five shootings in one week; how ridiculous! These trouble young people
    are bring way too much attention to firearms and easy access.I want it to stay that way with no more bans stuff like this can only add fuel to the fire.Our opponents don't realize killers will use whatever means available no guns how about swords?

VIP Member
    The news report I saw said he had purchased the shotgun and glock the same day. Since only one was a handgun I don't think the 1 a month rule applys.

I'm still waiting for one of these 'nuts' to try and storm a police station and start shooting...I wonder what would happen?
    It has happened and it's a definate case of "Suicide By Cop". Check out the book, "Street Survival" for a documented case of someone going in and shooting up a Police Station.

The local Police Station has a metal detector, like the Airport, and a Police Officer behind bullet resistant glass with a pass-through window slot, like a Bank Teller Drive Through.

Biker

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I'm still not convinced that these shootings are not arranged by the Brady Bunch.

The amount of recent shootings coming up on an election year, the sheep are going to stampede to one extreme or another.

Abolish all guns (yeah, that'll work) or Abolish all gun restrictions on citizens with no criminal history.
    I agree with you, although I would put the blame more on those that support the Brady Bunch -- like billionaire George Soros. (Not saying he IS behind these things -- just that I would not be surprised.) That kind of money could sure be used for all kinds of nefarious ways of denying our rights. And in every single instance where the shooter offs himself -- makes it very tough to determine what REALLY happened.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post

Hubs,

Let me give a context for this...

Imagine a recent graduate of military physical security class.
    He has graduated Top Gun-best in class overall (both classroom and gun range time). He went through one scenario with FATS (computer firearms training) where he shot and killed a BG faster than the computer could register it.

He spends 5 years in the military. He gets out, goes to college, where he sets every curve on every test throughout his college career. He graduates at age 27. But, through all his time in college, he is not allowed to carry a weapon to protect himself or anyone else.

By the way, now teaching High School, he is STILL not allowed to carry for his safety or that of anyone else.

I can't imagine anyone can come up with an intelligent, rational explanation for why he cannot carry.

Oh, I just described my son, Agentmel on this forum.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

In most cases at least 30-40% of the people on campus at any given time are well over 21 years old. And in our state you have to be at least 21 to get a CWP. But yet the same rules and laws preclude me from carrying on campus and I am 51 years old. And most of our Staff and Faculty obviously are. As well as many Graduate students are in their 30's or more.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm still waiting for one of these 'nuts' to try and storm a police station and start shooting...I wonder what would happen?
    What happens is cops die, citizens die, and/or cop property including guns are stolen.

The following happened at a major police station roughly to miles from where I last lived over in NoVA...
    Fairfax Officer's Widow Rebukes Killer's Father
    40-Month Term Imposed for Gun Crimes
    By Tom Jackman
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, November 9, 2007; Page B01
    Fairfax Officer's Widow Rebukes Killer's Father - washingtonpost.com

Additional stories...
    Woman killed in police station
    No one in building in Dodge County as she sought refuge
    By MEG JONES
    mjones@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: March 11, 2007
    JS Online: Woman killed in police station

Teen breaks into N.H. police station, fires shots
    The Associated Press
    SPRINGFIELD, N.H
    June 13, 2007
    Suicide-by-Cop

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links