Several St. Louis radio hosts support students carrying on campus

This is a discussion on Several St. Louis radio hosts support students carrying on campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On my job today, I drove about 4 hours in the vicinity of St. Louis. While driving, I listened to several different radio stations. Three ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Several St. Louis radio hosts support students carrying on campus

Several St. Louis radio hosts support students carrying on campus

On my job today, I drove about 4 hours in the vicinity of St. Louis. While driving, I listened to several different radio stations. Three of the most popular stations in St. Louis had programs on today where the host supported students carrying on campus. The stations were 1120 AM, 550 AM, and 97.1 FM.

1120 AM had as a guest John R. Lott, Jr., the author of "More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws". He was very calm and very convincing in his support for concealed carry, not only for students but as a whole. The host invited callers to call in and give Mr. Lott tough questions, asking callers to throw "hard balls, not soft balls." Although only 3-4 callers got the chance to speak, every single caller agreed with the author and host that gun laws don't work, and that the only chance students have in a situation with a shooter is to be carrying themselves. I don't listen to this station a lot, but I was surprised to hear no dissenters. It's not like St. Louis has a shortage of anti-gun sheep.

I didn't catch any specifics of the second program. I think I was in shock to hear a second program host from this area supporting students carrying on campus. The third was Glenn Beck's program, and he also supported students carrying.

I was surprised to hear so many in the mainstream media here agreeing that allowing students to carry on college campuses was the best option. I don't think St. Louis is known for overwhelmingly conservative radio stations. I've heard some pretty anti-gun talk before from at least 2 of those stations.

Oh, and I heard the police report of yesterday's shooting where the police said they got there in 29 seconds. Still too late for those who were killed or wounded.

I read on cnn about a student running out of the room while jumping over some on the floor curled in fetal positions. Combine that with the shooting in the St. Louis suburb of Kirkwood last week where one man fended off the shooter by throwing a chair at him... It's a shame that some will choose to curl up on the floor at the first sign of danger, and it's a shame that sometimes the only legal weapon one might have is to throw a chair at a shooter.

God help us all. May He save us from our politicians and lawmakers.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There is indeed some slim glimmer of hope left.

RE:

Its a battle were all fighting, And hey you know college is supposed to refine and tune maturity, If young adults cant be trusted to respect guns they dont need to be takin classes in chemistry or subjects that teach material that could be used negativly.

If anti gun parents are in the picture, this is the perfect grassroots approach to this generation of people. Its either hug or throw away.
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

I heard Bill O'Reilly discussing on his show on FOX tonight with a college professor from Kansas who has a permit taking the pro CCW side. It is indeed getting some air play. Let's keep hoping our kids and carry on campus soon.
    Bill O’Reilly | The O’Reilly Factor - FOXNews.com

According to what I see on the web, is that Utah is the only state to allow CCW on campus...........both faculty and students. I don't know the history ....as to what prompted the law or what the results have been. Hope someone can provide more information.

Quote Originally Posted by ezman38 View Post
    According to what I see on the web, is that Utah is the only state to allow CCW on campus...........both faculty and students. I don't know the history ....as to what prompted the law or what the results have been. Hope someone can provide more information.
    yes all Utah schools are CCW clear...

But as of 2003 religious originations could opt out of CCW – only one church has done that so far in Utah.

Also some time ago The University of Utah tried to ban CCW on their campus & found themselves out of bounds with state law.

good read grady, hopefully via radio,we can show the sheep that
    law-abiding ccw'ers and makea difference,not just terriable events
    such as campus shootngs but the crime world itself. not that we're
    trying to be a police force,just that law-abiding ccw'ers can and do
    help makeadifferents.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    It's long overdue.Take down one or two of the killers this problem would go away real fast!

It is hard to imagine that they got there in 29 seconds but it points out that these types of things do not happen like you seen in the movies but at a speed that just by someone having a CCW isn't going to prevent these. They may very well help with the number of victims but if he shot 16 people and himself in 29 seconds and you are sitting in the audience what are you going to do? All these scenarios about looking for cover and assessing the situation go out the door and you just hope that you can react fast enough to help before you become one of the victims.

Just as pro-gunners focus on the low crime rate of CCW holders, I wish the pro-gunners would focus on the low camus shootings (exactly...NONE!) in Utah, and that's BOTH colleges and high schools!

Stay armed...in school...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    It is hard to imagine that they got there in 29 seconds
    IIRC it was campus security, that responded in 29 seconds, not the local police. Which obviously did no good, all they could do was bring pepper spray to a gun fight. RULE#1.....When in a gunfight, bring a gun!!!!!!!
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

Our campus security could bring more than pepper spray but doubt that they could be there in 29 seconds unless they were in the room where it was happening. Ours do carry guns. :)

someone having a CCW isn't going to prevent these. They may very well help with the number of victims but if he shot 16 people and himself in 29 seconds and you are sitting in the audience what are you going to do?
    No offense intended this sounds like Brady Bunch reasoning.

A
    someone having a CCW isn't going to prevent these.
    Really, so when Jeanne Assam shot the scumbag before he killed any of the hundreds in the church with his 1,000 rounds plus of ammo does not count as prevention?

B
    They may very well help with the number of victims
    So saving five ten fifteen twenty lives or one human life is insignificant in what way?

C
    You are sitting in the audience what are you going to do?
    There are many here with far more experience skill knowledge and training than I. By no means am I an expert or a professional. For a fact in less that a second I would have drawn from concealment and be moving to cover if not already there acquiring COM. 29 seconds is a life time in a gun fight, literally. Ask any combat vet or LEO who has been there how long 29 seconds is. IMO if you can not end an attack from an armed assailant in under a third of that time you will probably be dead. Everyone here keeps repeating the same mantra "train practice train practice for a reason

At best the clock on the 29 seconds started after the first shot. No doubt in my mind someone draws a shotgun on a stage in front of me my responce begins a long time before that first shot. Sorry I really do not mean or want to make this sound like an attack it is not. Rather I want to point out how pervasive the Brady Bunch anti gun brain washing is. This is an example of we have come to accept the mythology of victim hood as fact and it IS NOT fact. Is a gun a guarantee that you I or anyone will survive an armed assault? NO Will a gun with proper training and practice give you the very best possible odds of surviving and maybe save other lives? ABSOLUTELY

Quote Originally Posted by ezman38 View Post
    Utah is the only state to allow CCW on campus...........both faculty and students.
    Here in Washington State there is a bill in the house right now that will allow CCW on all college campuses. Write your rep and have them support SB6860 use the link to get more info. If you do not know who your legislator is go to Find Your Legislator
    FYI Snail mail or a phone call is more effective than e-mail
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member
    LongRider---you are spot on!!!!!!

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

+1!!! LongRider

Nolite timere!

Lord, please help me to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links