Pro-CCW TV report from Colorado Springs

This is a discussion on Pro-CCW TV report from Colorado Springs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PA is great. Walk into the sherrif's office, turn in application, have photo taken to put on the permit. Pay $30.00, get card in the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro-CCW TV report from Colorado Springs

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    PA is great. Walk into the sherrif's office, turn in application, have photo taken to put on the permit. Pay $30.00, get card in the mail in about 2 weeks saying to come in and pick up your permit in person.

There is no training requirement. The reason is similar to the reason there is no waiting period to buy a gun, only the phone check. If some one, say a lady being persued by a nut case ex husband or boy friend, needs a gun like "right now", they shouldn't have to wait for days or weeks to be able to buy it. And many of the people most likely to need protection don't have that kind of money to spend on classes.

There was a 911 story on here not long ago where the lady got a gun by borrowing one earlier in the same day she was attacked. The cops got there right after she would have been killed. When people discover they may need to defend themselves, they shouldn't have to wait days to be able to do it.

I've never seen any statistics that show taking a $175 dollar class does anything to reduce the accident rate. The folks selling the classes wish there were such statistics, but so far I've not been able to find them.

The good news in PA is that the CCW rules are so simple you almost can't go wrong. Don't carry in schools, court houses (which have metal detectors in case you forget), Post Offices, or airports. That's it. The whole list of prohibitions. You can carry into your voting booth in PA, there was a recent court case that upheld that in either Shippinsburg or Chambersburg, I forget which.

No expensive training requirement, simple rules (not as simple as Vermont but still pretty simple), no waiting. Vermont is better, but PA is pretty good.

The streets aren't running red in Vermont either, and they have had their current laws, and no training requirements, for close to 90 years if I remember right.

Fitch

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    So, in short, Jane or Joe citizen who has never handled or fired a handgun in their life, can take a "Safety Class" fill out the paperwork, pay the fees and if the Sheriff approves (Shall issue state), be carrying within 90 days.

Scares the heck out of me.
    Sarah Brady and her coharts just love gun owners like you.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    Actually scare me too...and they actually use this as a reason...hummm, wonder why?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Desk Jockey View Post
    I caught her misleading statement also. Completing the class does not certify you to carry concealed, it just allows you to apply with the sheriff for a license.

Class length in Colorado is all over the map. My class was about 4 or 5 hours classroom plus an hour at the range. Most of the range time was just waiting my turn to put 9 of 10 in a 12-inch circle at 7 yards (or something very similar to that). Range time is not a requirement, but a lot of classes include it. The class the reporter took was "NRA First Steps", which is a 3-hour class (at least it is at Whistling Pines Gun Club) and qualifies for the CHL application here.

I haven't seen the numbers yet for 2007, but in 2006 El Paso County licensed more people for CCW than any other county in the state.
    Douglas Co. is number 2. But, we try harder. I think Jefferson is number 3.

I would be okay with a stardardized class with range requirements. I personally practice twice a month for about two hours using my carry equipment at various ranges, multiple BGs, etc. I fire about 200 round per month. In the summer we do friendly practical pistol comp every othe monday. They also do it every wednesday at my range.

Having too many hoops to jump through, training, etc makes CCW for the financially gifted. It will be just like golf, to be good and play often you will need $$$ major dollars. I heard a Colorado State Rep. the other day day on a radio station want to propose a second level of CCW that would greatly increase training at the state's cost for specially trained K-12 teachers, parents, church parishioners, etc. Basically it was just after the Co Springs church shooting. It sounded like the special CCW would be open to all basic CCW holders that would accept the added training and responsibilities. It would add a layer of "hold harmless" for actions in good faith. After reading some of Ayoob's writings I believe an "armed citizen" shooting in good faith to stop the action of a violent attack would not be held liable for unforeseeable damages.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    Sorry, but Sarah and her cohorts are also foaming at the mouth for bad CC permit holder shootings.

Maybe "requirements" was the incorrect term, something more like "Education" should have been used.

Look, we all know that the BB's statistics and justifications are exaggerated, and they would accomplish more by going after teen driving skills (and street racing) to save more kids, the use of cell phones and DVD players in cars, and influenza, if they wanted to save lives. We are a small group, shootings are a minor problem in the grand scheme of things, and though we are gaining ground, they do have the upper hand.

I am willing to bet that 99% of the anti's knowledge of guns comes from the media, and Hollywood. They can not wrap their feeble little minds around the fact that it is not the tool, but the person that has the tool dictates it's use. People that have guns are either BGs or LEO/Military. If you have a gun and do not have a uniform or a state issued badge, you must be a BG waiting for a target.

A BG's use of said tool is evil and intended. A GG's use of said tool is hopefully a last resort and based on their education. The less education, the greater the risk of making a bad decision.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Desk Jockey,

I stand corrected then. I haven't lived there since '94, and there wasn't much in the paper other than Academy-bashing back then.
    Herk -

I have to admit that my statement about "a long time" stretches all the way back to January 2000 when I moved here (not so long, really). Since the Gazette has had this stance as long as I've been here, I assumed that it had always been the same. Apparently not, based on your experience.

If not 'corrected', then at least I stand 'more educated'. Thanks for the info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links