Pro-CCW TV report from Colorado Springs

This is a discussion on Pro-CCW TV report from Colorado Springs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the local TV reporters went through a CCW class following the New Life church shootings here. To my surprise, they kept it positive. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro-CCW TV report from Colorado Springs

One of the local TV reporters went through a CCW class following the New Life church shootings here. To my surprise, they kept it positive. Gave credit to Jeanne Assam as CCW carrier (not a "security guard"), and showed support for CCW from our local sheriff.

The video of this report is still available online, but probably won't be for long. At the moment, it's linked to this story:

KRDO.com - Shootings Prompt More To Apply For Concealed Carry Permits

Always good to hear something positive for the cause. I can't believe the class for CCW there is only three hours though. Mine was at least eight with range time after that.

VIP Member
    Good report. Although it did give some misinformation. Stating that once the class was complete you could carry concealed, instead of saying you had met the requirements for the classroom portion and were then able to apply for a permit.

3 hours has to be a mistake...when I took class here in Colo. it was a 2 day 6 hours each and about 2 hours of range time for the nra class.
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I didn't take the class because of my military experience so I'm not sure on that. I live in El Paso County and I'm surprised it is only 1% who has permits. I have to say too that Terry Maketa is a execellent sheriff.

There is no set standard for the CC classes, other than the instructor has to be certified. 3 hours is the shortest I have heard. Mine was 5 and I have heard of 4 hour classes. There is no other requirement other than the fingerprinting and background search.

So, in short, Jane or Joe citizen who has never handled or fired a handgun in their life, can take a "Safety Class" fill out the paperwork, pay the fees and if the Sheriff approves (Shall issue state), be carrying within 90 days.

Scares the heck out of me.

I know it is a right, but this right was written when every household in the 13 colonies and the unsettled territories had at least one gun, and every person in that house knew how to use it. Now days, the number of people that have a gun, know the safety and responsibilities, and know how to shoot is minimal at best.

Personally, I feel that CO should have a bit more qualifications necessary to obtain the permit (I do agree that it is wrong to jump through the hoops for this right). We have way too many big city transplants that have no concept of owning a gun.

The class that I took scared me listening to the questions and comments of the other 30 odd persons taking the class. The instructor instilled little confidence in me as well. Other than the JAM, I learned nothing new. I grew up with guns in the house, my dad taught me to shoot when I was 8, gave me his .22 and 20 ga. that he grew up with (and his dad as well) when I turned 14 after I took the hunter safety class.

Thankfully since the shall issue law was passed in '03, CO has not had any bad shootings that I know of. I would say that given the minimal requirements, our risk is higher for having a bad shoot.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I caught her misleading statement also. Completing the class does not certify you to carry concealed, it just allows you to apply with the sheriff for a license.

Class length in Colorado is all over the map. My class was about 4 or 5 hours classroom plus an hour at the range. Most of the range time was just waiting my turn to put 9 of 10 in a 12-inch circle at 7 yards (or something very similar to that). Range time is not a requirement, but a lot of classes include it. The class the reporter took was "NRA First Steps", which is a 3-hour class (at least it is at Whistling Pines Gun Club) and qualifies for the CHL application here.

I haven't seen the numbers yet for 2007, but in 2006 El Paso County licensed more people for CCW than any other county in the state.

I did my class time at The Firing Range in Aurora and have since taken advanced pistol 1 with plan's on taking pistol 2 in the near future which is about all I can really take locally in DEnver as we do not have very much better choices locally. I have found tho a place up north about and hour away that has an open range etc. with steell and moving target's that do advanced traning and plan on contacting them next month when the weather gets nicer to see about the training. Tactical Skills Institute
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

Yeah, I had my training at TSI. It was 4 hours classroom and 4 hours range time. The primary instructor runs a hot range as well so I would trust the students to be able to handle a hot weapon in a safe manner.

Good for them. I can guarantee that nobody from the Gazette-Telegraph (where they make bird- and rabbit-cage liner) would have done that.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Uhhh....

The Springs Gazette routinely runs pro-2A and pro-CCW editorials.
    Like this one after the New Life church shootings, and this one about a new law to keep a database of CCW holders, and this one about an anti-gun Ohio lawmaker who saw the light and got a CCW.

The newspaper here has been pro-2A for a long time. The same TV station that ran this piece, ran a very anti-2A story immediately following the New Life church shootings.

Desk Jockey,

I stand corrected then. I haven't lived there since '94, and there wasn't much in the paper other than Academy-bashing back then. As I recall, they liked Pat Schroeder and everything she stood for, too. Friends say the town has gotten noticeably more "blue" with all the imported Californians. Thus, it really surprises me to see them (the GT) take a conservative stance on the CCW issue.

Herk
    Last edited by Herknav; February 17th, 2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Clarification
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    In Minnesota 3 hours is about all it takes. $175.00 but have to repeat this process every 5 years.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    In Minnesota 3 hours is about all it takes. $175.00 but have to repeat this process every 5 years.
    Now that is a lot of money for three hours.

You think your worried in Mississippi there is no class $200.00, fingerprints, 90 background check, and your permit shows up in the mail.LOL They must know us rednecks know how to shoot. I wish we would require to have some range time. Then again we are a open carry state, except the A.G. has stated that a holstered weapon is concealed by the holster. Got to love state laws and to renew $50.00 and a new picture every 4 years.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links