Students for Conceal Carry

This is a discussion on Students for Conceal Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a situation like what happened in IL, the voice that's likely to be listened to the most is the demographic that was victimized. When ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Students for Conceal Carry

Students for Conceal Carry

After a situation like what happened in IL, the voice that's likely to be listened to the most is the demographic that was victimized. When there's a situation like this, Students for Conceal Carry on Campus have been right there. They have a unique voice in this debate and should be supported. I'm not a student, but have kids entering college next year. If you have kids in college or nearing college age, have them sign up with SCCC, and throw a few bucks their way in terms of donations.

Of all "gun related groups," my bet is that you will hear more from SCCC in the coming days/weeks than any other from our mainstream media. They deserve the right to kick butt on this issue... after all, they're the ones being gunned down in these school shootings.

I'm not associated with the SCCC (although I wish I were).. but here's their page: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

These kids are doing a good job.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

2. Remove Ads

That's good they got something like this started. I'm sure it will continue it's rapid growth.

I agree with you. I found this group a month ago and joined and am now recruiting. I am graduating soon, but Im sick of not being able to defend my self in a situation. Seems like nothing but shooting are making the news today.

This group also does "empty holster" protests to make statments. Good group of people.

A representative of SCCC was on Good Morning America this morning. The rep was Michael Guzman, from Texas.

He represented himself and gun owners well. Here's the link:

ABC News

I agree that supporting this movement is worth the effort, even if you aren't a student or faculty member. The right to bear arms in self defense should be afforded all citizens -- students shouldn't have to be victims just because they choose to seek an education.

Washington has legislation proposed (SB 6860) that would prohibit colleges from restricting conceaed carry. Washingtonians are encouraged to contact their legislators about this bill, which was stalled in committee by an anti-gun senator.

VIP Member
    I have extremely mixed feelings about whether or not to allow students to conceal carry on Campus. Too many students view the least setback in their grades as an existential threat. Emotions run high, and it is frankly somewhat miraculous that we don't see more events like this. I know of many a prof. who practically begs for a violent retribution by being entirely irrational about grad student mentoring. There are big time problems especially with the unsupervised relationships between professors and their graduate students.

I'm unsure that introducing arms into a charged emotional atmosphere and in the hands of mostly immature younger people, is wise. Yet at the same time, I recognize that the unwanted events would be quickly terminated if someone else but the perp. was armed.

Twenty five years ago my friends' daughter was killed in a campus shooting at the University of Iowa. My friend had previously lost her husband to cancer when the kids were very young, and struggled to raise them herself, get herself through graduate school, and make a life. The daughter's death was unbelievably devastating to my friend.

I'm not wise enough to have an answer. I do strongly suspect that there was a reason why the young man left one school for another, and if that reason could be uncovered we would learn the real reason for the instability and rage.

I'd allow the faculty to be armed, and other senior people, but I am uncertain what I think is right with regard to arming the younger adults. Again, schools take everyone who makes the grade. They don't do any psychological screening and sometimes the best students are the least stabile personalities. This is tough stuff to make policy about.

In most states, it's my understanding that in order to get your CCW you must be 21 years old. Also, allowing on campus allows faculty and staff to carry as well. Here in Colorado at CSU, the campus is simply in line with state law... Not a magic exception area.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'd allow the faculty to be armed, and other senior people, but I am uncertain what I think is right with regard to arming the younger adults. Again, schools take everyone who makes the grade. They don't do any psychological screening and sometimes the best students are the least stabile personalities. This is tough stuff to make policy about.
    The thing is, most states DO psychological screening when CCW permits are issued. The schools don't need to. There are plenty of 18 year olds in the Armed forces that are responsible with firearms, why would that change when they step foot on a college campus?

I'm now working on a second degree (at 28) and at least 25% of my class is over 21. These are people in the medical profession and have lives in their hands daily, but can't be trusted to have firearms to defend themselves???
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

A student with a CPL is trusted to act responsibly, and is allowed to carry almost everywhere except on campus. At the library, at the state capital, in the unrestricted areas of airports, in the lobby of the police station (at least in Washington). Why not on a college campus? If they are mature enough to go to war and defend our country, they are mature enough to carry a concealed weapon.

Our colleges and our schools are a microcosm of the communities where they are located -- what supposedly magical transformation occurs when we cross into a "gun free" zone? It seems to me that we fail our students by pretending they are completely safe on campus. College is supposed to lead to enlightenment -- shouldn't students become enlightened about the reality that they are responsible for ensuring their own safety?

I fairly recently finished a third college degree (M.Ed.). Most of my cohorts were over 30. The notion that allowing CC on campuses would be putting guns in the hands of 18 year olds is what the anti-gun lobby wants people to think. Realistically, very few 21 year old students have CPLs -- it is mostly more mature students who want to be armed.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Watch the ABC video, link that C Paul Lincoln listed, and watch how the interviewer is such a s**t. He's waiting for 'the wild west'. Ignorance, that is a big threat.....

When he asked, 'are you carrying a gun now?'......ooohhhh....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Personally, I feel the media carries a significant amount of responsibility for the ongoing mass shootings on our campuses. The lunatics like Cho want to make a statement that they have been wronged in some way, and they want to be remembered for their final, heinous acts. By focusing so much attention on these shootings, I believe the media actually encourages other lunatics to follow suit.

What we need is an agreement from the media (I know, I'm dreaming!) that they will only publicize the minimum details . . . "There was a shooting at NIU today." Period. No "glory" for the gunman, no airtime. Don't mention his name. Communicate to all the other wackos out there that to shoot up a school, college, church, or mall is to die silently in vain.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    If they are mature enough to go to war and defend our country, they are mature enough to carry a concealed weapon.

I fairly recently finished a third college degree (M.Ed.). Most of my cohorts were over 30. The notion that allowing CC on campuses would be putting guns in the hands of 18 year olds is what the anti-gun lobby wants people to think. Realistically, very few 21 year old students have CPLs -- it is mostly more mature students who want to be armed.
    Sorry, don't agree with your first statement...seen many a immature soldier in my time...maturity has nothing to do with defending our country...but duty and honor does. Following your logic...many 18yr olds would be allowed to drink. Why isn't that states do not allow an 18 yr old soldier to drink?

For your second statement..I agree in part. The part I do not agree with is the 21 yr old line in the sand. Seen and met quite a few 21 yr olds, including my son, that lack maturity...and also lack emotional control.

I'm all for professors etc...not ready to crossover to the 1st time student with no real world experiences. And soldiers, LEOs, security guards with weapons, etc. take psychological tests...becarefull what you wish for...I see the next step will be all those wishing a CCW the same.

Rick

Great post I just sent it out on my facebook and ask others outside of the CCW world to join and help keep our kids on campus safe

don't forget all the ROTC students that upon graduation will be responsible for the lives of at least 20 other americans. (althoug i admit there are a few of them that i wouldn't trust with a squirt gun) the soldiers in collge to earn promotion points, law enforcment, etc. campusess are filled with the poeple we most expect to be resposible with a firearm but they're unarmed.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

VIP Member
    Well, it turns out that this shooter in IL had significant psych problems but got through background checks. He had been put in a treatment center by his parents when he was an older teen. He had been discharged by The Army after only 6 months. Neither produced a flag, and he got his firearms purchase card--whatever they call it in IL.

While background checks are somewhat effective, we deceive ourselves thinking that they reliably keep guns out of the hands of nuts.

There are no easy answers to this one. Neither more CCWs nor more restrictions are really going to make any significant difference to the number of thankfully rare incidents that occur.

(And for those who think trusting faculty to carry is a good idea, believe me, I have met many highly successful profs who would pass background checks but are total loons, and social goofs. It goes with the high level of creativity, I think.)

All we can do is try for some sort of middle ground that protects CCWers rights and protects the rights of the millions who have emotional issues and should not be stigmatized because they once were treated. It is tough policy to make and we (the country) are probably doing about as well as can be expected considering all the factors.

You won't believe the ridicule and complete lack of disrespect for this organization on my campus. The school newspaper made out all the members to be wild west wanna bees, but what do you expect from such a biased pile of garbage. There was a holster protest here about 5 months ago IIRC, and the newspaper absolutely butchered the event IMO. Given there was a lot of misinformation in all of the articles(ex: "Anybody can just carry a gun where ever they want, and I wouldn't feel safe knowing that.") These people are completely oblivious to the fact that in public they are around people that CC.

I often take friends/classmates that have no experience with guns to the range, I feel this education is the most beneficial for support. Many of these people that I have brought to the range are extremely liberal(common among the student body), and often scared of guns initially. After a range trip they love it, and from what I have found always come out pro-gun.

I know there are a lot of people on the fence about the issue, but I see no difference between a person that carries off campus vs. on campus. In most almost all of the recent tragedies it is one person that caused all of it, and I believe it only takes one armed person to stop it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links