What do you recommend for motorcycle carry? - Page 2

What do you recommend for motorcycle carry?

This is a discussion on What do you recommend for motorcycle carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Scott I carry in my jacket. Both my summer and winter jackets have a convenient inner pocket that works well for this ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you recommend for motorcycle carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I carry in my jacket. Both my summer and winter jackets have a convenient inner pocket that works well for this purpose. Gun goes in a pocket holster and then in the pocket. I usually carry my phone and garage opener in the opposite pocket.

So far I haven't been anywhere on my bike where I would need to leave my gun behind with the bike. As secure as any other means on storing it should I absolutely have to do so on the bike.
    +1 Thats what I do.

Since you have saddle bags I'm going to guess you are on a cruiser and my sport bike carry will be of no use to you.. but it might give you an idea.

I have a VERY TINY little trunk on my bike.. I can fit.. oh.. a can of pop in it.. not a plastic bottle.. a can.

When I ride and carry it's one of two ways. Not sure how much 'gear' you wear but if it's simply a vest a shoulder rig works. I wear mine under my jacket, and if I have to take the jacket off I slip the shoulder rig off at the same time.. yes it looks funny when I do it. Fold the jacket with the shoulder rig and carry it wherever I go.

Now back to my little trunk.. if by chance I am going to a place that is posted I put it into my trunk. It is not a normal trunk as that little lock won't do me much good.. One of the bolts where my liscense plate bracket comes under the seat is gone. In it's place is a bar with a hole in it, that I can lock. I run a cable lock (laptop style) through it and through the seat where I've taken liberty and changed a few things about the seat.

It's not theft proof, but the cable runs through my subframe, through my bolt, through the seat.. so in order for anyone to get my seat off it's going to take some work.. and it's going to be noticed when they do it.

I have yet to have anyone see me when I place my gun in there.. they have asked me what I did to my trunk if I'm working on it at a friends house, or if a friend is at my place and they see the little metal tub I have built for it. I just tell them it's a beefed up trunk for when I need to leave something in it so it doesn't fall out. Currently I have a flashlight in it, but during the summer it gets a little extra.

Be creative.. look at anything you could change on your bike. I got the idea from a friend with a Road King (damn heavy bike) who did the same for his bike. The cool thing about the lock/cable is it doesn't even look like you are doing anything when you reach under to put the lock on.

It did take some time to create and fit it, and maybe about $50 in material.. and a friend who knew how to weld.. but it gives me added security..

Now if they take the whole bike... that's a different story..

Quote Originally Posted by monky View Post
    Since you have saddle bags I'm going to guess you are on a cruiser and my sport bike carry will be of no use to you.. but it might give you an idea.

I have a VERY TINY little trunk on my bike.. I can fit.. oh.. a can of pop in it.. not a plastic bottle.. a can.

When I ride and carry it's one of two ways. Not sure how much 'gear' you wear but if it's simply a vest a shoulder rig works. I wear mine under my jacket, and if I have to take the jacket off I slip the shoulder rig off at the same time.. yes it looks funny when I do it. Fold the jacket with the shoulder rig and carry it wherever I go.

Now back to my little trunk.. if by chance I am going to a place that is posted I put it into my trunk. It is not a normal trunk as that little lock won't do me much good.. One of the bolts where my liscense plate bracket comes under the seat is gone. In it's place is a bar with a hole in it, that I can lock. I run a cable lock (laptop style) through it and through the seat where I've taken liberty and changed a few things about the seat.

It's not theft proof, but the cable runs through my subframe, through my bolt, through the seat.. so in order for anyone to get my seat off it's going to take some work.. and it's going to be noticed when they do it.

I have yet to have anyone see me when I place my gun in there.. they have asked me what I did to my trunk if I'm working on it at a friends house, or if a friend is at my place and they see the little metal tub I have built for it. I just tell them it's a beefed up trunk for when I need to leave something in it so it doesn't fall out. Currently I have a flashlight in it, but during the summer it gets a little extra.

Be creative.. look at anything you could change on your bike. I got the idea from a friend with a Road King (damn heavy bike) who did the same for his bike. The cool thing about the lock/cable is it doesn't even look like you are doing anything when you reach under to put the lock on.

It did take some time to create and fit it, and maybe about $50 in material.. and a friend who knew how to weld.. but it gives me added security..

Now if they take the whole bike... that's a different story..

Would you be willing to post some pics for us? I have Harley Night Train. No bags. No trunk. Nowhere to put my gun should I need to disarm. My only option is to mount a lock box to my backrest but the only time I have that on my bike is when SHE is riding with me.
    I have thought about hollowing out the rear seat and stuffing mu gun in there but I even swap out my seat to the stock-not much padding seat when I dont have a passenger.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Thanks for the info, a friend of mine was wondering how to carry while he rides and I will turn him on to this thread. He is more concerned about which pistol to go for though. He is wanting a Poly Pistol so I recommended an XD 40. in the 3-4 in sections. He thinks my 1911 is just a hand cannon. It kind of scares him.
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    On my bike, there is no way I would even lock a gun to it and walk away. Chances are someone will see you doing it and try to steal it. If I'm going somewhere on my bike that I can't carry, I leave my gun at home. Other wise it is inside a pocket in my jacket or IWB.

Inside zippered pocket of my riding vest in a pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    Inside zippered pocket of my riding vest in a pocket holster.

Well... thats what I do too... but his issue was were to put it if he had to take it off himself and stash it in the bike...

Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    Would you be willing to post some pics for us? I have Harley Night Train. No bags. No trunk. Nowhere to put my gun should I need to disarm. My only option is to mount a lock box to my backrest but the only time I have that on my bike is when SHE is riding with me.
    I have thought about hollowing out the rear seat and stuffing mu gun in there but I even swap out my seat to the stock-not much padding seat when I dont have a passenger.

The bike is in storage for the winter.. not enough room for the snowblower and the bike.. and in the winter, a snowblower is much more useful in CO. I'll see if I can't get over there and get some pics.

It's pretty easy to do.. the hardest part was figuring out how to fit the little tub so I could get the gun in/out easily yet it still be secure. Btw.. I could not fit my xd .45 service. Only a sub compact would manage to fit securely, and easily. I'll see if I can't find my drawings and get them copied. They're a little rough since I'm not an engineer.. but they worked for me. Think stick figures... drawn poorly.

Over in town they would steal the bike to get the pistol locked on the outside.

I have a similar problem. My wife works for a school system, and itís not a problem dropping by in the truck (lock pistol in glove box) but on the bike, itís a different story. So, if Iím on the bike I canít stop by to visit.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Over in town they would steal the bike to get the pistol locked on the outside.

I have a similar problem. My wife works for a school system, and itís not a problem dropping by in the truck (lock pistol in glove box) but on the bike, itís a different story. So, if Iím on the bike I canít stop by to visit.
    Off topic but is it legal to even have the gun locked up in the glove box while visiting the school? Didn't they just fire a shop(?) teacher in Winter Haven, FL for that? I'm curious because I also work with the schools. If it's legal, I haven't heard anything about the guy challenging his dismissal. I have my CCW if that matters BTW.

On the motorcycle carry subject, I'd also be weary of hanging my gun on my HD for fear of theft or at least hacking everything up while trying to be stolen. Is it even legal in Florida to have your gun hanging on your bike exposed like that?

Thanks.

I use a concealment vest from Coronado Leather, makers of handcrafted, concealment leatherwear for law enforcement and those interested in high quality leather jackets, handbags and carrycases for firearm concealment and when I need to leave the gun, I take the vest off, (being careful not to dump the gun), and stash the whole works in one of the saddle bags or tour-pak. No one sees the gun.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I lock mine up in a Boss Trunk Bag when I have too leave it with the bike.

Someone with a pocket knife can get in that bag in less then 5 seconds. I have leather saddle bag that are lockable. I don't even put a lock on them because someone is going to think I have valuable in it and less then 5 seconds with a pocket knife, they are in them. I certainly wouldn't leave a gun in a soft bag. Well, okay! Maybe the 380 AMT used to have as long as they didn't bring it back.

If it's not IWB/SOB...my Harley Electra Glide has many carry places...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Does your bike have a factory tool kit???? Could the tools be placed in a unsecured soft bag, and the EDC be put where the tools were? Most tool kits are in a secure area, like under the locked seat.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Does your bike have a factory tool kit???? Could the tools be placed in a unsecured soft bag, and the EDC be put where the tools were? Most tool kits are in a secure area, like under the locked seat.

Z

HD makes a lockable chrome toolbox for Softails that I've seen used for small pistols:
    Browser Update Required

Just stash the tools elsewhere.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links