I set off alarm at DFW airport??

This is a discussion on I set off alarm at DFW airport?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, I went to pick up my parents at the DFW airport. I was carrying my son as I went in. We get through the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar

Yesterday, I went to pick up my parents at the DFW airport. I was carrying my son as I went in. We get through the sliding doors & suddenly a loud screeching alarm went off. We were the only ones going through at the time. We kept walking as the same pace. There was a worker to the right of us when we got in, she looked up & kinda nodded and smiled at my son. About 20 ft to the left was a police substation, door closed. I kept going about my business & nobody approached us. I was carrying my Glock 26 OWB with proper concealment clothing. Any ideas as to what that was? It did not go off as we exited the same door.

DISCLAIMER: It is only illegal in Texas to carry in the sterile portion of the airport. We were in the unsecured part, going towards baggage claim.

i used to have a pair of shoes that had the security thingy built into the sole and every now and then i would set of those detectors.
    one day on the way into a home depot the alarm went off and i mentioned to the lady i was pretty shore it was my shoes so she took her wand and swept both shoes and one made that noise as it disarmed and she said there you go. never bothered again.

M2
    Not sure about DFW, but SAT has the 30.06 signs posted at all the entrances. However, I checked DFW's Code of Rules and Regulations and don't see anything about it.

But my son has a pair of jeans that sets of detectors all the time. Some anti-shoplifting device is sewn into them...which does us no good as we bought them legitimately...

Cheers! M2

thats how my shoes where i bought them but somehow kmart never deactivated the security thingy but the good lady at home depot dod for me. maybe you can have some one at home depot or the like run the wand over them and deactivate it for you?

i have heard of some of the newer cell phones setting of some of thos alarms also?

VIP Member
    Coincidence most likely. You walked in as an alarm for something else sounded. It happens.

I'm not aware of any major airports installing any metal detectors at their main entrances yet. I hit a fair few of them but not all of them, so I'm sure there are exceptions.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Coincidence most likely. You walked in as an alarm for something else sounded. It happens.

I'm not aware of any major airports installing any metal detectors at their main entrances yet. I hit a fair few of them but not all of them, so I'm sure there are exceptions.
    I was thinking the same thing...especially since no one did anything for the alarm.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    No airport would install metal detectors at the initial entrances. Every person who entered would trigger one...

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    No airport would install metal detectors at the initial entrances. Every person who entered would trigger one...
    Agreed. Keys, change, belt buckles, all manner of other metal objects people have with them would set off a metal detector at the initial entrance. The alarm would be going off for every person who came into the air port.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have been through those same doors at DFW near the police substation and have carried at various times a stainless steel .45 and my sp101 and never has any alarm gone off. If I recall correctly there is a baggage carousel near that entrance and when they turn it on it makes a loud siren noise to warn people to quit sitting on it. That is probably what it was......

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    I have been through those same doors at DFW near the police substation and have carried at various times a stainless steel .45 and my sp101 and never has any alarm gone off. If I recall correctly there is a baggage carousel near that entrance and when they turn it on it makes a loud siren noise to warn people to quit sitting on it. That is probably what it was......
    I think it was a coincidence that it happened when we went through. The baggage carousel was not going when we entered. In fact, it took quite some time to get their bags. Oh well, nobody did anything about it, nobody approached me. Even if they did, it was a legal CCW place.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that this happened about 5 pm.

My wife and kids were debarking about that time, and with her rotten luck, it was her who set off the alarm. She also sets off the anti theft alarms at WalMart.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

A little confusion here

Those pillor things at the Walmart are NOT metal detectors.

They are an anti-theft device that reads the tags on mdse which are sometimes not demagnetised by the check out clerk. Those tiny tags are in EVERYTHING!

A metal detector that can tell if you are packing goes up over your head in an arch.

Large beltbuckles & cellphones will set them off as will a small pocketnife.

I have two fairly large screws holding my knee together and about half the time will alarm them - Depends how how the sensitivity is set.

But, don't sweat Walmart and the like -They would go crazy if they had to use a real metal detector.

If it goes over your head - It's for real.

...Skye...

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that this happened about 5 pm.

My wife and kids were debarking about that time, and with her rotten luck, it was her who set off the alarm. She also sets off the anti theft alarms at WalMart.
    It was about 11AM.

im guessing coincidence
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Location of Entrance?

Was the door through which you entered located near one of the security checkpoints into the secured area?

If so, at DFW there is an exit door at all of the security checkpoints, through which people can exit the secure area. Since they don't want to pay someone to monitor those doors, there are one-way motion detectors on the ceiling of the exit corridors that lead to those doors.

As you're walking in the exit corridor, if you try and turn around and go back towards the secured area, a bunch of extremely loud gongs go off, alerting the TSA folks in the screening area - just on the other side of the glass wall.

The motion detectors are very sensitive and can be triggered by swinging your arms more than normally as you walk towards the exit door, although I've triggered them for no apparent reason at all.

My guess is that as you were coming in the front door, someone who was exiting set off the alarms. You probably didn't notice them, since they hadn't even reached the exit door when they set off the alarm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links