Empty Holster

This is a discussion on Empty Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I prefer to fight the fight where I can behind the scenes ( writing congressmen etc ). I dont want anyone to know I carry. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Empty Holster

VIP Member
    I prefer to fight the fight where I can behind the scenes ( writing congressmen etc ). I dont want anyone to know I carry. I might do it somewhere where people don't know me.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Maybe it is the right time for something like this... sooner or later people are finally going to figure out that "NO GUNS" hasn't worked!
    Really?!! I think you overestimate the mass intelligence.

My thinking is that there isn't anything an empty holster does to influence someone's way of thinking. In fact, a t-shirt probably would have a greater impact. And really, when is the last time a shirt changed YOUR vote?

I have no interest in declaring my carry status. Further, if EVERY concealed handgun carrier wore their empty holster on the same day, it might have the opposite effect you're thinking. Specifically, many sheep don't even think about guns, and just as many don't want to know. If, all of a sudden, there were holsters on ten people in a grocery store, you might get the non-carrying public to vote out of fear and misinformation.

Just a thought.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I like the principle behind you idea, but I agree with others, that concealed is concealed, and I donít want anyone to know I usually carry.

And the only places we can not carry in Florida are Bars, that donítí sell food, and some Governmental buildings and all schools. So itís really not an issue here.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If you have to go into a bank, resturant, store or where ever, that prohibits carrying, prominently display a empty holster on your person. I'm sure at some point you will be ask about it. At that time you can explain to whoever ask, that you are just following the law by not carrying a weapon. It also opens the door for discussion on the fact that the property owner is putting you and everyone else at risk. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks for thinking "outside the box". It would be great to start some sort of strategy like this. Obviously some folks feel apprehensive about advertising their carry status and I respect that.

How about this idea? When you go to those places that you can't cc, then carry an adhesive sticker or card that says, "I'm a good customer and good citizen. I've passed the state requirements to carry a concealed weapon to protect myself and my family. Your sign at the entrance causes me to disarm which jeopardizes my safety on entering. You should know that your sign will not deter an armed criminal from entering your business. In fact it can actually encourage and attract a criminal to come in here since the criminal knows everyone is disarmed but him. Your sign will cause the lives of your customers and employees to be totally at the mercy of the armed criminal. Consider amending your sign to allow citizens who have valid concealed carry permits to enter."

I believe I'll make up some of these on my computer using card stock for paper. If I have to go in some place that has a gun-free sign, I'll leave them some of my cards. I could stick one on their entry sign, leave one on the bathroom mirror, leave one at the table in the restaurant, or give one to the manager, or whatever seems to work at the time.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I agree with the 'empty holster' ideal, but the ccw community tends to leans towards secrecy....but that is also the reason we have problem getting legislation passed, nobody knows who are you...In my community, I really would prefer not to have everyone know I carry....being a ccw instructor doesn't help that.
    The students with the empty holster campaign is a genius way to show they support CCW on campus...but in the 'real' world, it be just cause problems, and give up too much vital information regarding our choice to be safe.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I agree with those who say no, with one exception. I'm all for the student protesters who are collectively trying to accomplish something.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    I agree with the 'empty holster' ideal, but the ccw community tends to leans towards secrecy....but that is also the reason we have problem getting legislation passed, nobody knows who are you...In my community, I really would prefer not to have everyone know I carry....being a ccw instructor doesn't help that.
    The students with the empty holster campaign is a genius way to show they support CCW on campus...but in the 'real' world, it be just cause problems, and give up too much vital information regarding our choice to be safe.
    I agree 100%. I'm only going to be doing this on campus.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I don't join SCCC (students for concnealed carry on campus) b/c of the empty holster protests. Concealed means concealed which means I don't want my classmates potentially responding to me differently because they know I carry. If i wanted that i'd open carry. I'm all for CC on campus, and I wish it would become leagl at my University before me and my classmates get shot up. I go to one of the largest colleges in the world, and at the rate school shootings are happening and the way the law of averages works, its only a matter of time. Bummer.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links