Empty Holster

Empty Holster

This is a discussion on Empty Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this is the right place for this post, if not please move it. Although I attempt to avoid locations that prohibit carrying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empty Holster

VIP Member

Empty Holster

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, if not please move it.

Although I attempt to avoid locations that prohibit carrying a firearm, there are times it is not possible. After reading about Empty Holster rallys by Students for Conceal Carry on Campus, I got to thinking about it. Perhaps we as law abiding citizens, we should adopt a similar campaign. If you have to go into a bank, resturant, store or where ever, that prohibits carrying, prominently display a empty holster on your person. I'm sure at some point you will be ask about it. At that time you can explain to whoever ask, that you are just following the law by not carrying a weapon. It also opens the door for discussion on the fact that the property owner is putting you and everyone else at risk. Might point out the mall shootings in Utah and Omaha, the Chicago Lane Bryant store, numerous college campuses and other places where shootings have occured. The worst that can happen is that management asks you to leave the store.
    Any thoughts on this?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    My thoughts are concealed is concealed. I don't let any regular joe know that I am carrying, or even worse that I have been disarmed because the premises is able to legally mandate that I be a victim.

That being said, here in Oregon license holders have a broader range of carry priveledges when compared to many other states. So I rarely have business that take me into a mandated victim zone.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I don't like the empty holster idea at all. As a ccw holder, I see myself as the silent protector of myself and my family. I don't carry a gun to let the world know I carry. I don't carry a gun to prove a point. I don't carry a gun to make a political statement. I don't carry a gun for any other reason other than to protect myself and my family. Going about town with an empty holster ruins my silence an anonymity. I will fight for my rights through silent and anonymous political contributions, through my voting record and through supporting organizations such as the NRA.

Not to mention the fact that walking around with an empty holster would make me feel like a goofball. I don't like having eyes directed at me unnecessarily. Walking into a bank, school campus, off limits areas, etc... with an empty holster would draw a lot of eyeballs in my direction. I doubt most people would even realize that the empty holster was a form of protest. Most people myself included would see someone walking around with an empty holster as a mall ninja wannabe.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I tend to agree with SonfoaSniper and Jaystekan. While it would be nice to make a statement about my beliefs and my commitment to protect myself, doing so would reveial the fact that I do carry. I protect that fact more than I do my SSN.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    My first thought was that walking into a bank with an empty holster in plain view is a bad idea. It implies that you have already drawn the gun. To be provocative in a bank is just asking for trouble. I'm not really the activist type though.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I don't like the empty holster idea at all. As a ccw holder, I see myself as the silent protector of myself and my family. I don't carry a gun to let the world know I carry. I don't carry a gun to prove a point. I don't carry a gun to make a political statement. I don't carry a gun for any other reason other than to protect myself and my family. Going about town with an empty holster ruins my silence an anonymity. I will fight for my rights through silent and anonymous political contributions, through my voting record and through supporting organizations such as the NRA.

Not to mention the fact that walking around with an empty holster would make me feel like a goofball. I don't like having eyes directed at me unnecessarily. Walking into a bank, school campus, off limits areas, etc... with an empty holster would draw a lot of eyeballs in my direction. I doubt most people would even realize that the empty holster was a form of protest. Most people myself included would see someone walking around with an empty holster as a mall ninja wannabe.
    My thoughts exactly.

Rick

Administrator
    It's always refreshing to see examples of folks "thinking outside the box" - just not sure this idea is such a great one. I personally would not do it. It's just not my style.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Open carry

The second amendement says the right to keep and bear arms. It does not say anything about jumping through many hoops and wait for months to get a permit to protect your family. Move from one state to another and you have to wait for six months to apply for another permit. Drive from one state to another and its different hoops to jump thru. All of this should not be happening
    The idea of open carry is to show the public that a holstered gun is not a threat that you pick up your cell phone a call 911.
    I would like to see every state have an open carry walk through the captial on a Sunday. Show the public that a holstered gun is no threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I don't like the empty holster idea at all. As a ccw holder, I see myself as the silent protector of myself and my family. I don't carry a gun to let the world know I carry. I don't carry a gun to prove a point. I don't carry a gun to make a political statement. I don't carry a gun for any other reason other than to protect myself and my family. Going about town with an empty holster ruins my silence an anonymity.
    I did however walk with an empty holster last year in support for Stundents for Conceal Carry and was asked why the empty holster and I explained..never did I acknowledge that I was also armed at that time..if it is a GFZ, I avoid!

Low profile, honor private property, vote for the people who really mean it - the right to carry.

Senior Moderator
    Interesting idea.

Carry the holster with a cellphone in it. You may start a fad.

that'll get some attention...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    Low profile, honor private property, vote for the people who really mean it - the right to carry.
    Yep, besides concealed is concealed even if it is an empty holster to abide by the law.

VIP Member
    Maybe it is the right time for something like this... sooner or later people are finally going to figure out that "NO GUNS" hasn't worked!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I like the idea alot, I just dont have the guts to do it. Some type of a political statement needs to be made but concealed is concealed. I prefer to remain anonymous.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead45 View Post
    I like the idea alot, I just dont have the guts to do it. Some type of a political statement needs to be made but concealed is concealed. I prefer to remain anonymous.
    I like this as well, and I have no problem with people looking at me.

Come Tuesday, I'll be the guy at the University of New Orleans with the empty holster.

Maybe I'll try the cell phone in it too, see how that works out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links