I'm glad I don't live in IL!

This is a discussion on I'm glad I don't live in IL! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This legislation has been introduced in Arizona as well....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm glad I don't live in IL!

This legislation has been introduced in Arizona as well.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    WHY don't all of the gun/ammo manufactures step up and quit selling, and servicing any and all guns, parts, repairs, accessories, and ammo to the entire state. Would like to see how long that would take to get their attention. Many would say "to big of a market to lose" well that big market is going to be the down-fall of the entire industry if things don't change.

Z
    No, more specifically all firearms related manufacturers (including optics, ammunition, and accessories) need to do what Mr. Barret did when Kalifornia outlawed all .50 caliber rifles - "We will no longer sell, service, or do any business with that states law enforcement and security angencies."

If politically motivated LE and Security administrators had that hanging over their heads, I feel they would back away from supporting looney politicians who want to pass such laws. Also, it would take away the ability for the security details to defend these looney politicians.

Maybe then, after they are placed in the same "victim required state" that they wish to impose on everyone else, they will get a clue. Either that, or they will get ousted after anarchy and civil unrest erupts because only the criminals will have the guns and are able to operate with impunity.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in Illinois. There just isn't any way I could ever move my family there and relinquish my rights just for the sake of money. Every time I look at the job market in my field, if a job opening is listed in IL, I just ignore it.

We ought to build a big wall around IL to hold all the anti gun nut jobs in there while we build the wall we ought to be building along our borders.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I am amazed that sarah brady has not issued several press releases touting this as the best “common sense” legislation introduced yet.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    WHY don't all of the gun/ammo manufactures step up and quit selling, and servicing any and all guns, parts, repairs, accessories, and ammo to the entire state. Would like to see how long that would take to get their attention. Many would say "to big of a market to lose" well that big market is going to be the down-fall of the entire industry if things don't change.
    Z
    It definately would be in their interest to do so.
    You have to draw a line in the sand sometime and the longer they wait the worse/harder it'll be to make an impression.
    It's total absurdity.

Glad Florida and Texas isn't trying to screw us like this.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I am amazed that sarah brady has not issued several press releases touting this as the best “common sense” legislation introduced yet.
    I don't know...this might affect armed bodyguards....

I met my wife at Chanute AFB in Il. Couldn't wait to move out of there and did so in 1979 to Washington State. Got my first CCW there for $5. Big difference between Wa. and Il. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

We had better be prepared for this kind of legislation nationwide. And it will make a lot of sense to a lot of people who don't know much about guns. "Sure lets make sure we can track the bullets. Then innocent people with guns won't be charged". That argument will make a lot of sense to the sheep. The fact that the number may not survive the shot, that this is really intended to keep ammunition from all but the rich thereby taking guns out of the hands of all but the rich and the criminals, and that there is really no process to do this economically will go over the head of the sheep.

This is a very dangerous tactic.

My inlaws live in IL. They actually wanted us to move there while I am in law school. I told them that H*ll will freeze over beofre I move to IL and give up my gun rights. It's bad enough that I have to travel there from time to time.

When you enter IL, you leave your 2A rights and your right to defend yourself at the state line unfortunately. Wait until our next President gets in. He's from IL.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Due process

Don't bet on the supreme court backing your due process. Just ask the poor guys in New London, Ct about their houses. Or they could simple brand you a terrorist and use some &%$ Homeland Security law to get you.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    The sad thing is that this law will do the big, phat zippo for law enforcement. If anything, it'll make things ten times worse than before.
    First off, you can't just ban reloading of cartridges because many people make a living at it so it would be like banning a persons job. "Sorry, sir. Grocery clerking is illegal now. You need to pack your own groceries from now on." Any old reloading equipment and businesses that have done it in the past will have to be grandfathered in.
    Now imagine the database that now has to track each and every single bullet sale in the whole flippin' state. Talk about a frickin' beating for the budget to keep that puppy running smoothly. It'll be a new, proprietary system so you just know it'll lead to some serious FUBAR-zone situations when the po-po come kicking in the wrong doors or just can't look things up for weeks on end.
    And lastly, forgetting your brass at the range isn't a crime. Just the fact that you neglected to pick up a spent casing or two doesn't even come close to showing that you at "X" location at "X" time committing "X" crime. The fact that a bullet casing from your sale showed up at a crime scene sounds like a slam dunk if it wasn't for the fact that 1) shooting ranges and outdoor shooting spots tend to be used by a wide range of people of varying legality and education, 2) every gun throws the casing differently so my Glock is way easier to police up brass for than my buddy's SIG which tosses the brass for about 20 feet or so on average (and bounce off my hat which is really distracting) and then into other lanes as they roll around afterwards and 3) Whiskey Tango Foxtrot are you guys thinking?!? You even ask what the LE community thinks about this before you go dumping this horse hockey into their laps?

Edit: And it's unconstitutional to boot. You can't just take someone's property in the US without due process of law. So by confiscation of ammunition, reloading equipment, gunpowder and other firearms-related materials without a specific crime being committed then they are only setting themselves up for the big hoseroo from the courts. Even if it's passed, it won't last too long once the LE guys realize how big a pain in the butt it is and they get punkslapped for illegal seizure of lawfully purchased goods.

And I thought it was tough here in NY. I can't believe that this will be taken seriously by the State Legislature. But then again...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar

It's Not Just An Illinois Problem

I work for a Missouri Legislator. About 10 days ago we got a letter from a national organization asking for my bosses assistance in getting this legislation introduced and passed in Missouri. They are looking for sponsors in all 50 states.

In the letter they referred to anyone who purchases handgun ammunition as a "potential criminal". How does that make you feel?

This legislation doesn't have a snowballs chance in the hot place of becoming law in Missouri. But these folks are patient and determined. The battle for gunner owner's rights and the right of self defense is just heating up.

Hang on, things are going to get interesting!

digitalexplr:

Do you have a copy of this letter that can be posted?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I'm in western Iowa, which is getting too close for comfort. Iowa is getting more liberal by the minute, thanks to the eastern part of the state. Wish we were seperated by more than just a river. Went to Chicago once. I'll never go back.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LMarshall73 View Post
    This legislation has been introduced in Arizona as well.
    I thought AZ was gun friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    No, more specifically all firearms related manufacturers (including optics, ammunition, and accessories) need to do what Mr. Barret did when Kalifornia outlawed all .50 caliber rifles - "We will no longer sell, service, or do any business with that states law enforcement and security angencies."
    Agreed. Don't sell to anyone in the commie states, including LEOs. I wouldn't spend all the $$ required to comply with their requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Yankee View Post
    We had better be prepared for this kind of legislation nationwide.
    Reminds me of how Hitler started out disarming citizens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links