Going to Good Ole TN! Need Help

This is a discussion on Going to Good Ole TN! Need Help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok well next month we are traveling down to good ole TN for a 4 day 3 night trip for a wedding of my cousins. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Good Ole TN! Need Help

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

Going to Good Ole TN! Need Help

Ok well next month we are traveling down to good ole TN for a 4 day 3 night trip for a wedding of my cousins. We will be staying in Gatlinburg at the Brookside Resort (is it nice anyone know??) and will be visiting places such as a usual tourist does when not doing wedding stuff as my fiance has never been... I want to carry but am I allowed. What are TN laws on vehicle and establishments. Here is KY if the restaurant sells 51% food you are ok to carry, same in TN??
    What other important laws do I need to know??
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

2. Remove Ads

Gatlinburgh is right next to the National Park. Conceled carry is prohibited there. Might want to think it over.

Unless they have changed the law very recently, you can't carry into any establishment that serves alcohol.

Coffeecup is right, no carry in National Park. As far as the rest of the time in Tenn. you can't carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol for on premises consumption.
    Unless posted, you can carry in convenience stores and grocery stores that sell alcohol. You can even carry in liquor stores.
    If you go to Dollywood, it was posted the last time I went so no can do. Also the Aquarium in Gatlinburg is posted as well.
    Just keep an eye out for signs on the doors as you go in various places. I have only seen the ones at Dollywood and the Aquarium and I've been to a lot of the attractions and malls and had no problem.
    You can carry in church unless its posted in case the wedding is in a church.
    If you need to know all the rules, go here: Handgunlaw.us
    and look up TN in the US OFF LIMITS link on the left side of screen.
    Hope you have a great time.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Well they are in the process of changing this. There is Senate Bill 23. I am not sure of the out come, but it allows you to carry where alchol is served. As long as you dont consumer then you are good.

Those who are in possession of a handgun are already prohibited from consuming alcohol or face a Class A misdemeanor, which carries a $2,000 fine and up to 11 months and 29 days in jail.

I am pretty sure the bill passed but I would still call any local LE agency and ask.

Tennessee Senate Republican Caucus

News on the SB 23
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    Also the Aquarium in Gatlinburg is posted as well.

But their sign does not conform with the legal requirements, so I carried there.

Bill 23 was passed in the senate, however it is currently in comitee in the house and it's passing is very doubtfull
    Jack dog

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdog View Post
    Bill 23 was passed in the senate, however it is currently in comitee in the house and it's passing is very doubtfull
    Agreed. Our House Speaker, Mr. Naifeh, makes certain that this bill dies every year in the house. That will not change until he is no longer Speaker. So as of now, you cannot carry into any establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises.

As for the Aquarium, is it solely or partly owned by any governmental entity? Carry is also prohibited currently on public property in Tennessee, with very limited exceptions (e.g., gun shows).

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Off limits carry places have been covered pretty well so I'll just add, I've stayed at Brookside but it was several years ago. At the time it was a pretty nice place, not a four star hotel but clean and comfortable with good lighting in and around the hotel for safety/security.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    Ok well next month we are traveling down to good ole TN for a 4 day 3 night trip for a wedding of my cousins. We will be staying in Gatlinburg at the Brookside Resort (is it nice anyone know??) and will be visiting places such as a usual tourist does when not doing wedding stuff as my fiance has never been... I want to carry but am I allowed. What are TN laws on vehicle and establishments. Here is KY if the restaurant sells 51% food you are ok to carry, same in TN??
    What other important laws do I need to know??
    Stayed at Brookside Resort 25 years ago as part of our honeymoon package. It is not bad. There are some shops on the same strip as Brookside. There is winery across the street. The biggest disadvantage is the main shops and some restaurants are on the main strip - which is still in walking distance - just a good hike. Make time for The Peddler steak house. Always a great dining experience if you can get seated creek side. Everyone else has pretty much stated the carry laws. Have a good time.

VIP Member
    Remember if you carry where it's posted in Tn , it is against the law.Not like here in good ol Ky. You go to jail. Tennesee has a long way to go on ccw. Don't carry in a park of any kind, National, State or city. No carry in restaurants where alcohol is served. Better learn to like Big Macs.
    Sorry to sound so down on Tn, but I go to Nashville quite often. If I stay in a hotel downtown and want to walk to 2nd Ave or Printers Alley , see the sights then maybe go to the Spaghetti Factory or another resturant, I have to leave my gun at the hotel because I want to go to a restaurant while I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Remember if you carry where it's posted in Tn , it is against the law.Not like here in good ol Ky. You go to jail.......
    Not true, they can only ask you to leave if it is posted and you are discovered. Tn & GA has the same laws regarding carrying where alcohol is served for consumption on premises - cannot carry in those restaurants. I had a friend that was discovered at a mall in Chattanooga by their top notch security - they just told him to keep it better concealed this time and don't bring it back again. Even though I could never find where it was posted at the entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Not true, they can only ask you to leave if it is posted and you are discovered. Tn & GA has the same laws regarding carrying where alcohol is served for consumption on premises - cannot carry in those restaurants. I had a friend that was discovered at a mall in Chattanooga by their top notch security - they just told him to keep it better concealed this time and don't bring it back again. Even though I could never find where it was posted at the entrance.
    Sorry Flyboy but you are not correct on the law regarding carrying in posted establishments in TN. If the establishment is posted, then it is in fact illegal to carry there. If discovered and they want to, they can have you arrested. It has happened recently here in Memphis at the Kawasaki dealership on Summer Ave. A man did not see the no firearms sign and was discovered by the store security, who happened to be an off duty LEO. The man, whom I know, was arrested, had his gun confiscated and he is currently waiting to see what will be done with his case.
    The sign carries the weight of law in TN. If the business is cool, as most are, if they discover you carrying they will just ask you to leave, but that is not what they are required to do. They can just call the police and have you arrested, and most know it too.

TN is a nice state but as others have said, it has a long way to go on CCW law. A long way to go.

No carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. None. You can not even enter them with your gun. So that pretty much limits you to fast food and Cracker Barrel. Also, no state or city parks.

As others have suggested check Handgunlaw.us as it is an excellent source for the laws of any state.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Several restaurants local have obsolete signs that say that one can't lawfully carry where ethanol is "served or sold." This is no longer true. Now, only the "served" part counts.

And yes, violation of "properly posted areas" is a crime in Tennessee.

The mall in Jackson has a list of about 50 rules on signs sort of close to the entrances. The last rule is "no weapons." The retired state trooper that gave my course said that the mall is not properly posted and to feel free to carry there; an ejection is the worst penalty possible.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links