Can congressmen CCW in Washington, D.C?

This is a discussion on Can congressmen CCW in Washington, D.C? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My guess is the Capitol police look the other way. The secret service and other federal security types are also allowed to carry, whatever federal ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can congressmen CCW in Washington, D.C?

My guess is the Capitol police look the other way.
    The secret service and other federal security types are also allowed to carry, whatever federal statute covers them may cover elected officials(judges,congressmen,exc.). Good question though,since DC does not issue CCWs,nor can you possess a handgun if it hasn't been grandfathered in before 1976. I think alot of these congressmen own condos for the time they're in session.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

2. Remove Ads

Like I said, the Courts in DC are overworked anyways...so I'm sure a lot of these incidents involving legislators are dealt with quietly...because you never know who is going to be on the oversight committee who doles out money for the DC Cop's budget, or who the guy you arrested knows.

Arrest the wrong legislator and the head of I.A. & the chief may be in a congressman's office tomorrow at 6:00AM having coffee with the congressman and talking with him about cleaning up the DC police forces...starting with officer X, who it just so happens arrested his good friend the senator from KY...

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Remember, we also have a killer in Congress from Mass.
    Also one from another state.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Article I, section 6:

(In part)...They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

It is debatable if Congressional immunity found in the constitution allows them to override DC law; however, as in most situations with powerful public officials, I am sure they have little difficulty calling the chief of the DC metro PD or the mayor, asking them over for drinks, and broaching the topic of a carry permit for themselves of their favored staffers.

In any case, even if a DC permit would not be forthcoming, given the level of corrupt activity in DC and a firm understanding of how power works, if a DC metro cop has reason to search a congressman/senator or a person with a capitol hill ID card who happens to have a handgun on him, unless it was something major, I'm sure phone calls will be made, chits will be accumulated and the matter will be resolved without having to deal with those pesky lawyers or the overworked courts.
    It is not really debatable as under such terms the only body that has any jurisdiction over one is their branch. The Senate takes care of Senators etc. We had a case here in SC where the Lt. Gov. was stopped by a LEO of driving 90 in a 35 zone down a city street on his way to session. He was immune. There was a als big problem as the legislators would park anywhere they wanted and the city police couldn't do anything about it. Finally they built them a nice garage to allow the peons to get their parking spots back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links