Coming to your neighborhood?

This is a discussion on Coming to your neighborhood? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not to slam the evacuees, but let's look at this logically. Baton Rouge (to use an example) has doubled its population since the evacuation. If ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coming to your neighborhood?

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Not to slam the evacuees, but let's look at this logically. Baton Rouge (to use an example) has doubled its population since the evacuation. If we assume an equal number of criminals in the evacuee population as in the normal Bation Rouge population, the number of crimes in the city (not the rate) will double. And since the evacuees don't have anything to steal or money to buy drugs, the criminal element in the evacuee population will try to commit crimes on the Baton Rouge native populace.

So be generous, be thankful, be helpful, but also Be Aware.

2. Remove Ads

An interesting point. The authorities are concerned in Jefferson Parrish due to evacuee's returning now that power and water have begun to work again in much of the Parrish. You'd think that those are the people they should be the LEAST concerned about. These are folks with homes, property, business, a means of transportation to and from the area... all things that are indicators of someone who is not prone to looting and violence. With the power returning to much of the Parrish and water running again, many who came back over the past few days are expressing a desire to stay. I say let them. They should probably remain under a dusk to dawn lock down but they have a vested interest in keeping their homes and businesses safe, so let them do it as long as their isn't a health hazzard like the one in New Orleans and upper St. Bernard Parrish.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I will hope for the best and remain prepared for the worst.

That being said my area has a closed AFB. It is also the airport I work at. My community will be welcoming 2500 (so far) guests from NO. They are to be housed in the old base housing and barricks. The area already has the highest crime neighborhoods in the area due to the cheap housing. The police presense is not even close to enough to control the criminal element already here. It will not take many "bad eggs" to cause a lot more problems.
    Also there are very few good jobs available in the area so many more people will have way to much time on there hands.
    When the snow and cold of Michigans Upper Penninsula comes, I hope these people will be prepared to deal with it.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

THEY WON'T be prepared, more than likely, so that may be yer saving grace.
    they won't like the cold.
    remember 50 is cold for them southern folks.
    we don't even put on a coat til the 40's :-)

south of me in cinciunnati the cops have much less trouble, even in the worst areas, when its cold. not conducive to lazy criminals
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I'm in Utah and haven't heard any problems with a crime increase yet. It is already cooling down at night and takes longer to warm up. I hope we will give them warm clothes when it gets cold. It wont be much longer till colder weather clothes are the norm. I guessing if the state doesn't help with that, the LDS church will. They are pretty big into service aid and preparation. Anyway, nothing bad yet. Sounds like they are being well taken care of. Hope it is the same everywhere.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

JT
    We’re starting to get reports of crime in North Texas from Louisiana refuges. In Ft Worth there was an attempted abduction of a teenage girl on her way home from school by a displaced sexual predator. In another area (I think Allen) there was a report of a family that took some people into their home, having one of their kids sexually assaulted by one of their “guests”.

These people that take others into there homes have an incredible amount of generosity. But I would never do it, because of my concern for my family. I’d pay to but people up in a hotel before I would let them stay with my family.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    We’re starting to get reports of crime in North Texas from Louisiana refuges. In Ft Worth there was an attempted abduction of a teenage girl on her way home from school by a displaced sexual predator. In another area (I think Allen) there was a report of a family that took some people into their home, having one of their kids sexually assaulted by one of their “guests”.

These people that take others into there homes have an incredible amount of generosity. But I would never do it, because of my concern for my family. I’d pay to but people up in a hotel before I would let them stay with my family.

I remember that right after the Mariel Boatlift, crime in south Florida exploded. Gang rape was up over 400% and armed robbery up 200% Just think, that was about six years before Florida's model CCW permit system first went into effect. Imagine how we felt: Like we were targets just walking around town, where you were most likely to be attacked?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

San Francisco

can you belive here in the land of love your brother(literally) only a few hundred are comming to a local Catholic cathedreal.I thought Diane and Barbara and Nancy could put that many up their selfs.These libs are really something all whine and no action.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    "It is out of control. There's rumors all over the place," said Lafayette police Lt. Bill McGovern. But, he added, "Everything's fine here. The population has just about doubled in the past 72 hours, so they're just nervous with all the new people in town."

McGovern said that he hasn't seen a spike in crime and that, overall, the New Orleans visitors have been an orderly bunch.
    Does anyone expect that he would tell us if it were otherwise?
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry

Therefore - anyone within range of such places should IMO upgrade their awareness levels - in towns and cities in particular, because as I see it - there are gonna be wolves on the loose.

For many of us this won't be an issue but for some - I do think it will. They should be prepared.

PULL!!

Sorry....I guess PC is not my strong suit
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

just found out last night, that Massachusetts is using a Closed Military Base on Cape Cod for the displaced "refugees" Gov Mitt Romney (Ma) is asking the cities and towns of Ma that they are allowed to become permenant Citizens of that State.
    The base is Otis Air Force base. A reserve center. We were supposed to get 2500 ppl a week ago. They have yet to arrive.

Mike

VIP Member
    In northern MN we have only seen a few family members seek help from their relatives. Maybe -40 is a deterrent. Local LEO's, firefighters, and medical personel, however have been driving down to help. Our townsfolk (85,000) have donated almost $1 m, so far.

When that great icon of american culture and history is rebuilt, I'm looking forward to the greatest Mardi Gras on record.

I hope this dreadful calamity will bring our neighborhoods closer together and teach us to be more self reliant. If it motivates each of us to keep a 4x4 gassed up and to stock survival gear, food and water for use in our escape plans, that will be a +.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links