Coming to your neighborhood?

This is a discussion on Coming to your neighborhood? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I quote this from a post made elsewhere - by whom is unimportant but - it does suggest to me that to a degree, wherever ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming to your neighborhood?

Assistant Administrator

Coming to your neighborhood?

I quote this from a post made elsewhere - by whom is unimportant but - it does suggest to me that to a degree, wherever displaced folks are gonna show up - there will also be jailbirds as well as gang types etc. I here this evening three planeloads are being taken way up North even - to Utah!

Therefore - anyone within range of such places should IMO upgrade their awareness levels - in towns and cities in particular, because as I see it - there are gonna be wolves on the loose.

For many of us this won't be an issue but for some - I do think it will. They should be prepared.

When the NOLA refugee busses arrived at Reunion Arena, a sizable number of the refugees literally ran off the busses and hightailed it into downtown instead of Reunion. If you recall, the NOLA jails & prisons have been emptied and quite a bit of looting, kidnapping, murder, raping & such has occurred. The Dallas Police Dept and City Council think that those folks, who arrived with pretty much the clothes on their backs, are some of that type and expect them to get what they need not through relief agencies, but through the means they used in NOLA.

The representatives of the Dallas City Council have, uh, "recommended a heightened level of security" in downtown Dallas, especially in the downtown churches on Sundays.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Washington DC sent 10 buses, the news tonight said that they hadn't made any pickups yet.

Guess that means that you don't want to come to DC even if your house is gone and you're starving!

Besides, even if DC got the worst, who'd notice?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I just found out that Springfield's going to get about 2000 of them. This is a pretty quiet, low-crime town (maybe 4 murders per year) and we don't have much of a gang-problem. It'll be interesting to see if anything changes.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Chris
    I just found out last night, that Massachusetts is using a Closed Military Base on Cape Cod for the displaced "refugees" Gov Mitt Romney (Ma) is asking the cities and towns of Ma that they are allowed to become permenant Citizens of that State.
    N H is quite possibly going to get displaced people also from the N O area.
    I'm sure, that with such "good news" we'll all sleep a little better at night. For me, I believe I'll keep something handy for just such an occasion. With all that has happened down there, I'll be very curious to see what happens to the rest of the Country, due to this mass exodus.

My original hometown, Omaha, is expecting 500-1000 soon. Originally to be put up at the new arena downtown, which is only 15 blks from the projects. The news anchor was practically gushing like the city is lucky to receive them.

This could be a blessing if these folks take on the attributes/ethics of the communities that they find themselves relocated to, or a curse if they decide to maintian the status quo. Even if they don't make some lifestyle changes, possibly future generations will. In any event, I'm willing to bet that less than 10% return permanently to NO.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    600 and counting have arrived at the 4H camp back in my hometown. My mother said some looked like trouble, but most were just interested in a bath, clean clothes, and a bed. When it fills up they are going to start housing them on college campuses. That could lead to some big trouble if the wrong sort comes in there.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I'm sure they're coming my way to NH. The people up here won't put up with the BS, especially if it ever turned to higher crime rates. I'm sure they'll be placed in the areas that will help "blend them in" It will be VERY interesting to see what happens after that.

1000 in Tucson, another 100 in Phoenix. We had an inmate crew load up our extra brand new mattresses and towels to ship to Phoenix for the refugees arriving there. Hopefully they will become productive members of the community eventually, but i vote for giving them a little time to settle down, and breathe.
    Washington DC busses empty? Maybe they figured the professional crooks already have that town sewn up tight....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

San Antonio has already gotten 25K and that's just the ones placed on buses. I'm sure there are those that are in town that had the presnce of mind to get out B4 the storm.
    Friend of mine is on the S.A.P.D. said many of the people who got off the buses hoofed it away without ever going inro the shelters (wonder why?-Not) My situational awareness is usually pretty good, but it will be a little sharperfrom now on.

I'm all for helping someone in need, whether they need food, shelter, or an acute case of 'lead poisoning'.

Have cancelled my business travel for the next couple of weeks until I see how all this settles in.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

10,000 are comming to Michigan, and over 1,000 to Battle Creek where I live. The question was brought up how long are they going to stay?

I susspect they do not plan on ever going back, mostly these people are the ones too poor to have made the trip any other way and this is a one way ticket. In short any area that accepts the refugees is going to have to eventually assorb them into their welfare system.

Of course in Mi we have one advantage, as soon as winter hits especially oh about January when it hits -10 they will want to get the heck out of here for some place warmer, actually so do I.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

First of all lets realize that we are all Americans and that we should be willing to take care of our own. Secondly, yes some communities can expect to be affected by the influx of people from different parts of the country. However, most of these people have nothing and displaced, most are sick and hungry and believe it or not most will miss home and have the desire to return to NOLA. I would not change my vigilance or awareness just because we have fellow Americans coming to your cities (I dare not call them refugees).

However do beaware of those who did not come from NOLA and may seek to get over on you with crocodile tears. Moreover, it is during these times when the wolves do come out and seek to influence and take advantage of the helpless. So, lets be vigilant and aware and willing to help, but at the same time lets not be afraid to defend if needed.

It is times like these that I miss my old unit and wish I was able to be down there helping out. Cleaning out the bad guys that are roaming NOLA taking shots at my brothers in arms. Anyway lets show the world why America is the Best in the World.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

P.S. Post,.....the only ones that will be housed on college campuses are those who were in Universities and this will be checked and their respective Univerisites will be billed. They will be in class not plotting.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I got this email from my sister today. She helped out at the 4H center yesterday.

I arrived at 11:30 am on Sunday at Rock Eagle and left at 5:10 am Monday
    morning, helping out. I made beds for 5 hours and drove a golf cart for 11
    hours with some other odds and ends thrown in between. I heard and saw some
    of the saddest things I've ever seen in my life. I was amazed at the mostly
    thankful attitudes of the people.

Many of them had been plucked off of rooftops that very day, the majority by
    helicopter, some rescued by boats - put on a bus, taken to the airport, put
    on another bus, and then onto a golf cart with me. Many did not have any
    idea where they were.

Some had absolutely nothing. One man was carrying a box of crackers, that
    was all. There was a 2 month old baby named Junior. There was a Spanish
    speaking family - Roger, their teenage son road in my cart. He only new a
    few words in English, but he said "this place good".

Three elderly woman, one named Anna, formed a friendship. They all 3 were
    obviously the type of women who have a spotless house. One of them was all
    alone in life, her husband deceased and her kids "gone" (I offered her my
    phone to call someone, but she didn't have anyone to call). She told me
    about how she had been on every mode of transportation known all in one day.
    We're going down the road to her cabin and she was saying "WOO! This is
    FUN!" She was laughing. Happy to be alive, and getting some help.

I took one man who had been in the Superdome for 3 days. He told me he was
    next to one of the men who committed suicide. I told him that must have
    been horrible to see, his response was "if you live in New Orleans, you just
    get desensitized to things". He also told me of the bodies he had seen
    floating in the water. That was another common theme most of us drivers
    heard, the bodies floating.

One man had been found in his attic. He had been flat on his back since
    Monday, not enough room to stand up, but the only dry spot he had.

I was so busy for so many hours that I didn't have time to do much thinking,
    but now that it is sinking in, I can't help but cry.

I'm so tired, but I wouldn't change it for a thing.

If you can't do much, do SOMETHING, those people need it.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    Lee - that is both moving and heartening - I daresay some memories will for many helpers be hard to forget. Thx for posting that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I live in a good neighborhood, but there is a H.S. complex a couple of miles from here that is housing displaced NOlans.(I'm beginning to tire of hearing the term 'Refugee' even if is isn't incorrect term).

I have already seen a rise in the #'s of calls for property crimes in my zip code according to my S.A.P.D. I'm going to be a little more on edge and going to stick close to home for the next week or two.

Fellow Americans can have my help as long as they don't try to take or bring harm to what is mine.

Steve
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links