Carry Missionary, No carry zones...

This is a discussion on Carry Missionary, No carry zones... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have bounced back and forth between being a vocal proponent of carrying, and keeping my status secret. I think Ive made up my mind. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry Missionary, No carry zones...

I have bounced back and forth between being a vocal proponent of carrying, and keeping my status secret. I think Ive made up my mind. An aquaintence of mine was shot at Northern IL. Ive already walked a few people through getting their permits, but I think now, I'm going to be a bit more forward and vocal with the people I know.

Furthermore, Im conflicted about carrying in gun-free zones. I obey all laws to the letter, and of course will continue to do so, however, I just cant seem to reconcile the idea of sitting in class without my gun, someone starts shooting, and I'm unable to protect myself.

Judged by 12 or carried by six, right? I don't think I could even care if I ended up convicted of some crap charge, as long as I stopped the threat.

I was about to ask "Do you really think they'd charge me with anything if I shot a mass murderer at school?" but I know as well as anyone that if the local prosecutor is an anti (and mine is), that yes, they will charge me. I'm just not sure that I care.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoh View Post
    I was about to ask "Do you really think they'd charge me with anything if I shot a mass murderer at school?" but I know as well as anyone that if the local prosecutor is an anti (and mine is), that yes, they will charge me. I'm just not sure that I care.
    Unfortunately, if you are in Chicago or Cook County, the answer is "yes" I believe they would too.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I understand the vocal propenent thing, I don't run down the street shouting about it, but I'm not afraid to bring up the need to defend ones' family with most people I know. I figure that people won't be as afraid of CCW'ers as much if they are exposed more. (hopefully to level-headed people, not hot-heads) As for the 2nd part of your post, speaking of doing any illegal activity is strictly forbidden here, even if the law is stupid.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I think in that case, if you were to do something like that, and came out the hero, the prosecutor would have to take a moment to reflect on whether or not he wanted to ever get reelected. After all, if he prosecuted a CCW holder who stopped a massacre, the NRA's political machine would be all over it in a heartbeat. Personally, I don't worry. my life is more important than a stupid sign and an even more stupid rule.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm fairly certain that this is an odd way to look at it, but I'd rather die free than go to jail alive.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

But if the threat never apears and you are found you still go to jail and now instead of the hero you are the CCW devil who broke the law.

Edged weapons keep me safe in the no-go zones, just have to practice with those as you would with CCW.

I was discussing this same topic with a friend and fellow CCWer. If you were to shoot and stop a shooter on a college campus before he caused harm to more than one person, most likely, the media and prosecutor would be all over you for having a gun and shooting. You'd make the news as badly as those who have shot 20. It wouldn't be a massacre since you stopped it and I'm not sure the media or the like would say you prevented a massacre(since it didn't happen because you stopped the threat). I think they'd say two hot head guys with guns got into a gun fight in a classroom and one died, hurting our cause even more. I'm a college student, and if I choose to carry that's my choice and if I break a law then that's my choice as well, but I wouldn't expect any slack from the prosecutor. However...I agree with judged by 12 or carried by six.
    "I play for keeps."

It's a hard call to make, and you have to look at both sides. I take night classes, so I sometimes will have a firearm locked in my car if I go out afterwards. Do I want to carry on campus? of course but is it worth the risj of getting kicked out? I suppose if my classes were during the day (when most school shooting happen) in huge lecture halls, i might decide it's worth the risk.

Howerver on the other side, say the gunman shoots himself and the LEO's think there is another gunnman, they search you and now SHTF becasue you are accused of being another gunman.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Howerver on the other side, say the gunman shoots himself and the LEO's think there is another gunnman, they search you and now SHTF becasue you are accused of being another gunman.
    If you used your weapon to stop the threat, you'd know to lock open the action, unload your gun, and place it on the ground away from you. Any rent-a-cop college security guy will turn that corner and gun you down if you have that anywhere on you.
    "I play for keeps."

Ok, but can't the second gunman do the same? open the action and drop it like he saved the day. seems to me like that could be a serious issue. Or what if another person is carying and thinks you are aa gunman??

It's not safe to carry a gun were it is illegal, becasue to many "what if's" can happen not to mention what others will think.

If you have chosen to carry in places where it is not legal, I would assume you would probably flee the scene after an incident, not saying it is right or wrong, but if I had to "defend myself" where it was illegal to carry a firearm I would be getting out of the AO asap and pleading the 5th, when /IF the fact that I fled came up I would state I was still in fear for my safety.

You know there is only one law on self protection - 2A! Those who forbid it are the law breakers! I sure am hoping that soon a lot of hurting parents and loved ones sue the state of Ilinois and that school really good!

Quote Originally Posted by Larryes View Post
    You know there is only one law on self protection - 2A! Those who forbid it are the law breakers! I sure am hoping that soon a lot of hurting parents and loved ones sue the state of Ilinois and that school really good!
    Taking any bets that the Brady Bunch sent those families a floral bouquet and a letter expressing their sorrow at the families loss, and here is what we (Brady Bunch) are doing to try to make sure that this never happens again?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I'm fairly certain that this is an odd way to look at it, but I'd rather die free than go to jail alive.
    If you die disarmed by the law, did you truly die free?

Jail is temporary (usually), death is not.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Jayoh, I think you are letting emotions play a part of the decisions you are thinking of making changes to. I certainly understand why where you are coming from but unfortunatly, you will have to live consiquences even though you don't agree with them. If something happened and you did defend yourself, I do think you would end up with some charges. On the other hand, as you put it, Judged by 12 is better then carried by 6. I'd let the emotions settle down for a bit before deciding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links