Drunks, Trespassers, and a shopping mall

This is a discussion on Drunks, Trespassers, and a shopping mall within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just accepted a job as an un-armed security guard for Guardsmark, and while the job is good, I had to work a post today ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drunks, Trespassers, and a shopping mall

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Drunks, Trespassers, and a shopping mall

I just accepted a job as an un-armed security guard for Guardsmark, and while the job is good, I had to work a post today where I felt like I was about to faint from anxiety and nervousness. I had to work in a shopping mall that constantly has trespassers and drunks on the property, harassing patrons and mall employees. The police have to be called just about everyday. A couple years ago I had a personal experience with an intoxicated man that has left me mentally scarred, and more or less drove me to get my CCW permit. I do plan to inform my boss that I will not work at that location ever again as an un-armed guard. I honestly don't want to get attacked again by a 6 foot tall 230 lb drunk man again, and not have a means to defend myself. Maybe if there were one or two drunk people on the property, I might be able to handle it, but 5 or 6 is just too much, and dealing with nasty trespassers isn't pleasant either. I can't even carry a stun gun, pepper spray, or even a pocket knife.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

you mean asking nicely doesnt always work?

I dont blame you

That would be a "one day" job for me - that is if I lived that long. I think I would do a little more research with regards to the job description next time.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Fortunately, I was only scheduled to work there today, and no other day. I understood it was an un-armed position, and I accepted the employment terms. My permanent post will be elsewhere, so I won't have to deal with the public. I'm just going to let my boss know about it, so he does not request that I work there again.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    Fortunately, I was only scheduled to work there today, and no other day. I understood it was an un-armed position, and I accepted the employment terms. My permanent post will be elsewhere, so I won't have to deal with the public. I'm just going to let my boss know about it, so he does not request that I work there again.
    Sure, that's what they say now; your boss will tell you whatever you want to hear. If I were you, judging by your reaction to getting that post, I'd start looking for another job. They seem to view you as rather expendable.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

An unarmed security guard's duty is nothing more than "eyes and ears". If your company is putting you in harm's way, they have established a hostile work environment. Of course, as soon as you bring this up, you'll be fired.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    I dont mean to sound like a jerk, but it doesnt seem like this is the job for you. Carrying is the least used skill/tool in that business.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I will talk to my boss tomorrow, and leave it up to him if he wants to terminate me or not. If that becomes the case, then I will have to accept that, and move onto something else. My permanent post will be FedEx, and I'll be working at the local newspaper on Sundays, both locations don't really have drunks and trespassers. Dealing with them occasionally is fine by me, but every single day is a bit much IMO.

VIP Member
    Some jobs just aren't worth whatever they're paying you. I have to agree with Sixto, it sure doesn't sound like you're cut out for this line of work bro!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sounds like a no win situation. The people who contracted with your company know the situation and are hoping for a miracle cure. If your boss puts you in a similar situation again, it's time for a new boss.

BTW- Do they say "freeze!" up there?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Like Sixto said, it doesn't sound like security/LE work is a good fit for you. There is no shame in that, its just not a line of work for everyone.

My self personally, I would never engage in unarmed security work. Frankly, I don't even have a tast for any security work. I have just seen to many situations where you might as well wear a target on your back.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

First of all you need to understand that as an unarmed security guard your job is to "deter" not to intervene, if they want a bouncer then they should hire one, dont get me wrong a job is a job, I worked security in the past and am considering it again, (sad to say because it is way safer than my current job as a night shift manager at a c-store) remember your job description, and also remember that if you dont get specific post instructions your company is going to hang you out if anything goes bad, If you get involved in a physical confrontation state law may support you depending on what state you live in vs civil liability, but you better check that out...... in the mean time duck and cover, if something happens at that post you log it on your note pad and report it to the police, nothing more nothing less, UNLESS YOU HAVE SPECIFIC WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS AUTHORIZING YOU TO USE FORCE you are just another civilian in a boyscout uniform. (again some states protect their security guards some dont) In Texas you get an upgraded charge for assualting a security guard if he is liscenced, that means an extra 5 months in jail if you are too stupid to hire a good attorney.

VIP Member
    I sure would'nt say you should'nt do this job entirely, but I don't feel you are cut out for the mall job. You're too aware of what might happen. Too much stress. I'm betting if you refuse to do the mall job all together, they may find someone to replace you. Be interesting to find out what they say. Good luck.

Remember, you always have the option to personally sue for damages if someone injures you on the job.Some of those drunks and trespassers have deep insurance pockets. You need to press charges as needed to set up for a civil suit. Think of it as a game.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    An unarmed security guard's duty is nothing more than "eyes and ears". If your company is putting you in harm's way, they have established a hostile work environment. Of course, as soon as you bring this up, you'll be fired.
    Not true for all unarmed security officers. I worked section 8 with just a baton , oc spray and an M26 taser .I was expected to intervene in fights etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links