south dakota permits and the other states

This is a discussion on south dakota permits and the other states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; in south dakota it is legal for a 18 yo to get a concealed carry permit, my question is if the other states where you ...

Thread: south dakota permits and the other states

south dakota permits and the other states

in south dakota it is legal for a 18 yo to get a concealed carry permit, my question is if the other states where you must be 21, i.e. nebraska, will honor that permit. i know that states honor other state's documents and licenses, if you marry some one in main you are also married in wyoming, but i am not sure if the same would hold true in this case because of the age difference. thank you for any help.
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sic Nos Sic Sacra Tuemur- family motto, translation: Thus We Guard Our Sacred Rights

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When in Rome do as the Roman's do. Even though you may get a permit at 18 when traveling you must abide by their law as if you have a premit from their state IE; a Florida permit allows the carry of any weapon in North Carolina it will only allow the carry of a concealed handgun.

One of the conditions of the Washington State law for reciprosity is that the other states age limit be 21 as washingtons is.

I thought it was FEDERAL law against anyone under 21 with handguns???
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    AZ:
    Federal law has nothing to do with reciprosity among states for carrying. Federal law does state that you must be 21 in order to purchase from and FFL, you can purchase at 18 by face to face private sales if your state allows it. Confusing I know but that is the way it is designed. You need a lawyer to get you out of trouble and the laws are made by lawyers. It is a cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by GUDWyo View Post
    in south dakota it is legal for a 18 yo to get a concealed carry permit, my question is if the other states where you must be 21, i.e. nebraska, will honor that permit. i know that states honor other state's documents and licenses, if you marry some one in main you are also married in wyoming, but i am not sure if the same would hold true in this case because of the age difference. thank you for any help.
    I am not sure if that is true, maybe some of the experts on here can enlighten us. That was raised when same sex marriages became fashionable and some states recognize a young as 14. My Grandmother was 14 when she got married but that was in 1899.

As for carrying in other states younger than 21 I suppose you would have to check the laws of the individual state and the reciprocity agreement. I know that was brought up in SC when discussions of extending the reciprocity to all states was debated in the legislature and have never received a definite answer. The ones opposing the legislation said that it would apply to those under 21 and I haven't heard a contridiction from a reliable source.

It has been my experience that most states will not enter into a reciprocal agreement unless their rules match up pretty evenly. Most states require 21 so I think you will find the answer to your question is, NO.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by GUDWyo View Post
    in south dakota it is legal for a 18 yo to get a concealed carry permit, my question is if the other states where you must be 21, i.e. nebraska, will honor that permit.
    Nebraska is a bad example as that state does not recognize any other states' permit. You have to abide by the laws of the state you are in, not from the state you came from or have the permit from. Check out "usacarry.com".
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Links