Guns on campus!?: Utah

This is a discussion on Guns on campus!?: Utah within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this was a pretty cool little story Utah students hide guns, head to class - CNN.com...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns on campus!?: Utah

this was a pretty cool little story
    Utah students hide guns, head to class - CNN.com
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Yeah I just spotted that one myself and am still reading through it.

Well, there's an "in your face" head in the sand syndrome classic for you there:
    Casey Matheny, from Plano, Texas, now studying at BYU, appeared indifferent to the debate over students carrying guns.

"I don't mind if they have one, I just don't want to know about it," he said.
    The bulk of the article though, does seem to project CCW in a good light. Unexpected from a Commie News Network article.
    Last edited by packinnova; February 21st, 2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: head in sand
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

CNN is now carrying this as a lead story!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    OMG... Logic prevails? I am speechless!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Im glad that this issue is getting some attention, in a positive way. It does kind of scare me though when they interview professors who say that they last thing they want is a student in their class with a CCW.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Good article, but the comments people have left are opposed to allowing students to carry concealed handguns on campus. What they don't understand is, most of the individuals who have CCW permits are college seniors, and are probably going to graduate within a semester or two. It's not likely the freshmen and sophomores are going to be in the same classes as the seniors, except for maybe a few. The idea of a student sitting next to me in class, who may have a loaded handgun in his/her book bag or on their hip is rather comforting, but I will sure to be aware of any sudden emotional changes with that individual. For the most part though, CCW holders are more law abiding than the average citizen.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    this was a pretty cool little story
    Utah students hide guns, head to class - CNN.com
    What is the penalty for getting caught with a pistol on campus.......a felony?
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I think, as long as you are CCW, the most they will do is kick you out of school. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

It depends on the state legislation. In Colorado, it's legal to carry on campus but against all but one school's policy so as long as you remove yourself from campus when asked, you can't be charged. Expulsion from school is highly likely though.

They won't post the comments i left in response to the first 25 comments.. all of which are irrational emotion-based arguments.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 22nd, 2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

this is one of the funnier (reality-based) comments:

I'm a total, dyed in the wool lefty, but I have no problem with this. Even at three minutes, a police response is too slow when someone only intention is to killing as many people as possible before committing suicide. College kids are grown-ups. If the law permits it, why not? It creates a real dilemma for the would-be mass murderer. When you read the notes these killers leave behind, there's a real fantasy element that they believe and that motivates them to go off and slaughter defenseless sheep, or to kill as many as possible "before the cops get there." We might find that concealed carry by private citizens is the johnny come lately vagina dentata element of this modern, erotic, mass-murder myth.

Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    They won't post the comments i left in response to the first 25 comments.. all of which are irrational emotion-based arguments.
    I have posted two comments. They are very definitely censoring the comments coming in. Neither of my comments were of an attack nature or anything like that.

Wow, just sad.
    The second admenment is an outdated law. It was put in place after the American Revolution so that Americans could overthrow the British. Lets think about this, if we did not have the right to carry weapons the Virginia Tech shooting would not have happened. As well as the shootings that took place in Colorado. These two case scenarios should provide us with the sense that maybe giving guns to the population is a very dangerous thing to do. In the United Kingdom you are not allowed to cary weapons, hence the gun related deaths are extremely lower than the United States. Sorry I would rather be stabbed by some kitchen knife than shot in the leg by a pistol.
    If you want to bring up such things as hunting, or clay pigeon shooting, then only licensed venues should be able to have weapons. Thus the gun enthusiast can use a weapon there and leave it there instead of taking it home.
    This is an incredibly outdated law in the American constitution and thus should be removed. It is actually silly that people can still argue the right to bear arms when such incidents happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

If you have a CCW, your 100% legal in Utah, and the school can't do anything.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I'm guessing the individuals who are opposed to the idea of concealed carry don't even want to hear our side of the argument, while we take in all their emotional based garbage. For those people who oppose concealed carry, you get no sympathy nor protection from me when you find yourself about to get killed by a crazed suicidal individual with a gun.

Oh yeah, Utah's my home state!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links