CCW at the gym?

This is a discussion on CCW at the gym? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going for my ccw this spring/summer. I have become a member at a gym to improve my health and for physical conditioning. Any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW at the gym?

CCW at the gym?

I am going for my ccw this spring/summer. I have become a member at a gym to improve my health and for physical conditioning. Any thoughts or opinions on to carry or not carry at the gym? Concerns about being made come to mind(especially since you change in a locker room) and also security issues since the gym is a public area. I would imagine that not every member is an upstanding, honest citizen. They do rent kit(small) lockers for storage of toiletries, etc. Any tips or advice would be welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    May I mention this link - do take a peek

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...?highlight=gym

I'll see if there are any others but this one alone might give you some good info.

Ok - one more for you

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...?highlight=gym

If these suit your needs then we'll close this thread if no longer needed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Gyms are bad places to carry. Thefts from lockers are frequent. There are some people that hang around the locker room noticing where you lock up your stuff. They know you won't be back for a while and break into them. They also watch parking lots since they know the same thing when you walk away from your car.

Maybe I should rephrase my first sentence to say "Gym's are hard places regarding carrying."

Tough call.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    I am going for my ccw this spring/summer. I have become a member at a gym to improve my health and for physical conditioning. Any thoughts or opinions on to carry or not carry at the gym? Concerns about being made come to mind(especially since you change in a locker room) and also security issues since the gym is a public area. I would imagine that not every member is an upstanding, honest citizen. They do rent kit(small) lockers for storage of toiletries, etc. Any tips or advice would be welcome.
    Dunno, I train at home so I just open carry until it becomes an issue with whatever particular movement and I just slip it off and onto the nearest resting place until that exercise is done. I would think a small/pocket gun would do ok in something like a smartcarry holster setup, which is going to depend on the type of exercises/lifts you're doing. Deep squats might be a problem. Not sure how you would cover the locker room/changing issue other than being very careful.

whoops...guess Chris hit submit before I did....pay me no mind.
    Last edited by packinnova; February 21st, 2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: oops...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Whenever my fiance drags me to the gym kicking and screaming, I just switch to my .38 snub in a pocket holster in my gym shorts. Shower at home.

just wear speedos and they might not even want any trouble :) joking aside maybe you could wear something small around your thigh so you can just lift up your shorts pull(assuming you wear looseish gym shorts) that way when you run or do whatever it wont show or bounce around

im not sure as ive never carried yet but just some ideas that seem logical(to me anyway haha)

I did it three times but figured it was kind of risky and silly. I carried my P3AT in a 5.11 holster shirt, belly band and pocket holster. It is so uncomfortable, makes you worry about printing/a free-falling gun, and also ruins your gun after you start to sweat..I carry a folding knife, and lock the gun in the car...

I leave my gun in the car.

I've tried working out with my weapon, it was uncomfortable and cumbersome. While working out I tend to move in ways I don't normally move and the holster pinched and wore in places it shouldn't (IWB). I wouldn't recommend the lockers, they get broken into to often. Unless you can find a comfortable way to carry while you move a lot, It is better off left in your car.

TDPalmer

We have had two separate incidents here in Atlanta where items were being taken from lockers in the gym, as well as, from vehicles. Can't remember how lockers were being accessed, but the police finally managed to catch the guys who were responsible after a number of thefts at different gyms.

In the latter case which was quite recent, a team was staking out the parking lot watching for people going into the gym. Assuming the patrons would be gone for some time, they proceeded to break into the cars.

Not common occurrences, but should still make you stop and think about how to best protect your firearm. Car safe perhaps?

Lead Moderator
    I don't know what the incidence of locker theft is in the gym my wife and I belong to, but two weeks ago we had to replace the passenger side window because somebody tried to rob the car in the parking lot. Someone happened to come out of the building so all that happened was the window was broken.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I would say go with a car safe. CoM, Bass Proshops, Cabella, Dicks Sporting Goods, ect..... Its better than leaving it in a locker.IMO
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Work out at home.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Work out at home.
    +1 I hate going to the gym anyways waiting for machine, seems like the teen hangout after school. Instead of paying high membership fees, I went and bought a free weight set. It will be payed off the same as if I had a membership at the gym for 3 years.... Just something to think about.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

I have the same problem, and am looking at a "carry bag" solution. There are quite a few bags out there that I see people often carrying around at the gym; these kinds of bags look like they belong in a gym and are usually attached to water bottles, sweat rags, iPods, etc. I haven't gotten one yet, but I plan to select one that looks completely unintimidating. It should be the last thing that anyone expects to have a firearm inside. Stay away from "tactical" models - those stick out like a sore thumb in the gym, especially if it's the affluent type with soccer moms and personal trainers.

Here's some from backcountry.com

Here's some used for indoor climbing

Camelbaks are pretty common; you could probably fold part of the internal bladder in on itself and make some space for a small gun. A holster could even be sewn in to make for an easier draw.

Main thing is, just don't let it out of your sight. If you keep some headphones or earbuds in your ears and they're attached to an iPod in the pack, then that acts as a tether (while remaining natural-looking) to keep someone from running off with the whole thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links