"Almost Violence"

This is a discussion on "Almost Violence" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Paranoid? thread made me think that although I personally have never been in a real life bad situation, I've been at Condition Red several ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Almost Violence"

"Almost Violence"

The Paranoid? thread made me think that although I personally have never been in a real life bad situation, I've been at Condition Red several times.

See the numbers for successful usage of a handgun are so skewed because more often than not, using the handgun means nothing happened. I've been in a situation like that myself.

I think I've told my little tales at least once on this forum so I'll hold off. However, I'm curious to see how many people here are like me: You've never actually had to defend yourself but you've been so close it was scary.

Let's hear your accounts.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Actually I have had to defend myself. Before the CCW laws changed I was attacked in a parking lot. Luckily , I got out with only a black eye and a few bruises. Fast feet and use dodging parked cars helped me escape. It ws close though. Haven't had many problems since I got my CCW.

The closest I have gotten was to move my gun to my coat pocket, have my hand on the gun ready to draw. My avoidance skills kicked in and kept me from getting into trouble thank goodness.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

A few years back I handled computer/communications accounts in the Wash DC area. When a problem was reported and required downdown I usually got scheduled to work somewhere between the dayshift or into the night until the following morning. I walked many a garage parking area and streets in DC, you could hear the click of car doors opening as they seen you coming and the signs on the DOJ door to go sit in your car and lock the doors because the guard was on his rounds. Never got held up, bashed in the head or suffered any physical danger in my years wondering around DC at night. I guess in a round about way I am explaining that it was as bad then as it is now. I was lucky or something but my focus was always on the job at hand, I never thought much about the danger part.
    A black friend I worked with(Jim) often told me, carry money they will get really po'd if they hold you up and you don't give them something. Two large guys walked up to Jim one day, one on either side and simply removed the nice winter coat he was wearing, stuff happens and there is no condition color associated with it at times.
    No, never had to really defend myself as some have on the forum.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I'll tell the short version of this story.

November 2004 I was driving from Austin Texas to San Angelo. Going north on I 35 between Austin and Round Rock the highway is divided by a lane with a concrete barrier going down the middle of it.

It was Austin rush hour and traffic was gridlocked. No one was going anywhere. I was in the far left lane, the one next to the barrier.

Suddenly walking towards me was either a white or hispanic man, not sure, skinny fellow that he was. He had hopped over the barrier.

He went up to a car and tried to open the driver's side door. My first thought was, is that his car? Did he get out to go see what was causing the traffic jam maybe? Or is he in trouble?

But when that door didn't open, he went to the next car, closer to me. And the next car...

The woman in front of me scooted over into her passenger seat and made a cell phone call. I assume it was the authorities.

He got to her door pretty soon and wiggled that handle something fierce. He slapped her window and was clearly not happy he couldn't get into her car.

I had my 686 in a camera bag in the other seat. By this point, I had removed it and had it sitting on my lap with my hand on the grip.

He came up to my truck. I looked him in the eye. He broke eye contact with me and looked at the gun in my lap, then looked at me again. He didn't dare touch my door. It seemed like we stared at each other for minutes.

He hopped the barrier and started running south going with the flow of traffic on the other side. Momentarily a police car came along at Code 3 going his direction. I'd like to think they were looking for him.

Me? My CCW process hadn't started yet, and Texas laws on firearms in vehicles were murky and unclear. I put the revolver back, figured it had already been reported, realized that nothing actually happened, and went on. Nothing good would have come of me trying to report it as he didn't even touch my vehicle.

I honestly don't know what that guy hoped to accomplish, but I am very glad I did not find out. He looked desperate by the time he got to me.

Assistant Administrator
    Just the one that I remember this minute -

In a large mall, maybe coupla years ago, having stopped to get some food before going on my way. Not that late in the day but very few folks around. In the huge food hall I doubt three tables were occupied - one was mine. I had already registed in a scan two guys who made me a tad uneasy - loafing around and seeming outa place, and initially some ways off from the food hall.

I took my customary peripheral seat, to enable a good view of most areas but - as I ate, the larger of the two walked over to the counter where I'd got my food - which happened to be behind me! This made me uneasy and so as I ate I scanned around, stretching peripheral field to include my 6.

He was there way too long and altho he chatted (it seemed) with counter clerk, he was not ordering. As he then walked a bit to either way, still very much at my back, I made my initially discrete head movements a little less discrete - maybe to show that I was seeing things. He was at times uncomfortably close.

By the time he did actually move on and into easy sight - I had my right hand on gun in sho rig - I was that ill at ease - continuing to eat with my left. Whether that even showed up as anything like a signal to him I don't know - it was discrete also.

Whatever, I finished up and left - but as I walked away I looked over to the two of them, then sitting not far off - he looked at me also and eyes met - his quickly dropped as if he felt awkward.

I have no idea if I was under any threat at all - but my spidey sense kicked in and I was orange the whole time eating. I could have moved but that seemed like paranoia then!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Judicious display at the right times in a gun shop environment is often all it takes to deter those with less than savory intents from trying anything. I've been known to 'inspect' the round in the chamber in the 20 gauge under the counter by ejecting it from the chamber (and replacing it with another one) in the process of 'dusting' or 'cleaning' in a non-threatening manner.

Now if it deters some lowlife from pulling their hand from under their jacket in 90 degree heat, well....

...I get that benefit and I've dusted the shotgun. ;)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    A couple of instances in high school and college of being attacked by someone larger and stronger than I convinced me to take up martial arts. In both cases other people were there and stood by doing nothing until after the fact. After I started taking martial arts, I never had a problem with anyone (besides an obnoxious college roommate who almost got himself thrown out a 4th floor window). After a few years in martial arts, although I was good, I realized that there would always be someone bigger, faster or better than I was, so I started carrying a serious knife and OC spray. A few years back I got my CCW in AZ as a lark more than anything else, as I lived in IL. Now that I live in FL, I have a CCW and carry. I am of the of the philosophy that if I pull my gun out in public, it will be because I am in fear for my life or the life a someone I value.

I think predators see you alert and sizing THEM up and they find easier prey.

On a bright, suny weekday, at 1:10 p.m. (the reason I remember the time will become apparent . . .), I parked in the parking lot of an apartment complex in a rather "rough" part of town. I was a former LEO, and quite familiar with the are, but it was, after all, middle of the day, and all that. I was there to conduct an interview of an insurance claimant.

As I sorted through my paperwork, before exiting my vehicle, I noted a Ford Pinto (remember those ??) with three male occupants, passing behind my car; in my rearview mirror, I saw all three staring at me. Not good.

This was in the bad ol' days, before, SC had shall-issue CCW; only the politically-connected could obtain a CWP in that era. On the other hand, SC law permitted "lowly civilians" to pack handguns in closed (not necessarily locked) gloveboxes & consoles.

It was in the fall, deer season was in, and I sometimes met with an uncle to check out his wooded property near my hometown. In the trunk of my car I carried boots, jacket, hat, and other "woods-trekkin' gear." In my glovebox, I carried a single-action .44 magnum revolver (did I mention it was deer season?).

When I became aware of the interest of my parking lot companions, I surreptitiously opened the glovebox and placed the revolver between my briefcase (on the seat beside me) and my right leg; out of sight, but ready at hand. Sure enough, two of the guys approached, one on either side of my vehicle. My passenger side door was locked, but not my door. Both guys smiled brightly. The one on my side asked me for the time (believe it or not!). Instead of looking down, I raised my left arm, glanced at my wristwatch, and said "It's 1:10 . . .," and he snatched my door open! I swung the muzzle of the revolver in line with his torso, and thumbed back the hammer. Before I could shoot, I realized I had no target! In fact, I was all alone! I tracked him with my eyes as he and his partner (who had also apparently seen that BIG handgun) dove into the Pinto.

Now, I swear I thought I heard the Pinto's tires squeal as the driver accelerated. However, I'm not sure a Pinto was capable of that feat; coulda been the two wannabe muggers.

VIP Member
    This happened in my country of origing way south of the border. I was at my parent's house when I heard a big time conmmotion outside. A recently moved to the neighborhood guy was on the street brandishing a scoped 22 rifle and screaming incoherently and sweeping the whole neighborhood. I was carrying a Walther PPK but I decided to grab some POS single shot italian shotgun my Dad had. I went up to a porch area that my folks built above the garage and looked at the street. The guy was still there and still carrying on threatening to shoot people. He must have been drunk or high, I don't know. I aimed at him and had decided that, if he shot towards my parent's house, he was going to recieve a slug in exchange. Less than a minute later, the wife of this guy came out and started to shout to her hubby to get her butt back inside before he got shot. The guy turned around and saw the wife pointing at my direction. When he saw the shotgun, he went very pale, lowered his rifle and went inside his house. I returned downstairs and I think I smoked some 10 cigarrettes in a row but relieved that I did not have to open fire on the A-hole.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

At least 3 times over the years, that I can think of off hand, having a handgun handy has saved me from a possibe violent encounter.

Probably told this story before (it's my only good one! )

My wife, daughter and I were out late one night at a friends house and we were on our way home. My little girl had fallen asleep in our rig and I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a couple of things. My wife went in, I watched her the whole way, and me and the kid stay in our Explorer.
    After a few minutes I noticed a WMA materialize out in front of the store. He sees me parked and starts to head over. It's ~0100 and there's no reason for this jerkoff to be approaching me and my girl. I pull my Ruger P94 from the 4:00 position and hold it on my lap. Now I know that with the height of my rig that this WMA does not see my weapon, but he did see my movement. I don't know if he realized it or not that I had a weapon, but he did an about-face and went back to his perch at the front of the store.

Smart kid.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball
    Probably told this story before (it's my only good one! )

My wife, daughter and I were out late one night at a friends house and we were on our way home. My little girl had fallen asleep in our rig and I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a couple of things. My wife went in, I watched her the whole way, and me and the kid stay in our Explorer.
    After a few minutes I noticed a WMA materialize out in front of the store. He sees me parked and starts to head over. It's ~0100 and there's no reason for this jerkoff to be approaching me and my girl. I pull my Ruger P94 from the 4:00 position and hold it on my lap. Now I know that with the height of my rig that this WMA does not see my weapon, but he did see my movement. I don't know if he realized it or not that I had a weapon, but he did an about-face and went back to his perch at the front of the store.

Smart kid.
    What caliber Ruger P94? I have one in .40 cal with Crimson Trace Grips. Great shooting gun...
    For God, Family and Country!

ArmyCop, My P94 was in 9mm.

I traded it in and got a Glock 19. The Glock is easier to carry and as I became more comfortable with carrying all the time I wanted a pistol without an external safety to worry about.

But I really liked that Ruger...
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

VIP Member
    Believe it or not, I was an idealistic liberal, until I got mugged at gunpoint. Fortunately, my reality check came at an early age, in college. It was a classic, dark campus street, light snow falling, unawareness of targeting, the test (got a match?) the close, weapon presentation and demand for cash. As I fixated on the silver barrel pointing at my gut, I imagined what disruption a bullet could cause, how my girlfriend might miss me, and sure enough, it's true, your whole life flashes in front of you. That didn't take long. I hadn't done much up to then. If it happened today, I'd have to stall for time. Finally convinced a poor student wasn't going to be productive, he said "I guess this just isn't my night." and walked away into the snowfall, as if in slow motion. After I returned to the apartment, my GF told me she'd had an awfull feeling of terror a few minutes earlier. Makes you wonder.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links