What states will issue to NON US RESIDENT citizen?

This is a discussion on What states will issue to NON US RESIDENT citizen? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Amazing as it seems, some states are barring US citizens who are not presently permanent residents of the USA from obtaining non resident permits; whereas ...

Thread: What states will issue to NON US RESIDENT citizen?

Amazing as it seems, some states are barring US citizens who are not presently permanent residents of the USA from obtaining non resident permits; whereas NON citizens are able to obtain permits as long as they are residents of the USA. Bizarre or what? As a citizen where are my constitutional rights?

I have searched all the usual sites but cannot seem to get a handle on what states will issue to NON RESIDENT US CITIZENS living outside of the country (i.e. contracted to work outside the country).

There are states that will issue and I presently have Utah, Maine, Virginia, Pennsylvania. Does anyone know factually of other states that will issue to me?

Connecticut ran me through the hoops, asking for more paperwork, and then rejected my application and kept my money. Florida was gracious in calling me to advise me that I needed to be a US resident (not just a citizen) and sent me my money back although they did not have to.

I gather that Nevada and Arizona may issue to me if I go there to attend classes and apply in person....

Right now I am just trying to CMA in case some of the states decide not to issue non resident permits and I am trying to get max coverage as I travel through the states all the time.

I would especially like to have a FLA permit but they will not even recognize a permit issued by another state unless I am a resident of that state.

The problem will be partially resolved next year when we retire and buy the ranch in Texas or New Mexico.... but in the meantime I sure would like to get the ball rolling.

Thanks.

Have you taken the NRA basic asafety course? I think that all of them would issues the CCW as long as they had a mailing address is here in the US. Do you have friends or relatives here in the US that would hold or forward your mail to you?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Az or Utah are prlly your best bets. They arm everyone (love the west)
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I'm no Lawyer , but if you file a STATE Tax return in a U.S. state AND maintain
    a residence in that state you should be able to use it on your application along
    with any valid State ID you have.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Colorado, Kansas, and West Virginia will not accept a non-resident permit either. As a non-resident of the US I believe Utah is the only state to issue. They are considering terminating that policy due to expense of processing and a lack of data on non-resident from the FBI computers.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I'm no Lawyer , but if you file a STATE Tax return in a U.S. state AND maintain
    a residence in that state you should be able to use it on your application along
    with any valid State ID you have.
    Owning real estate in a county/state might qualify you too.

Some jurisdictions however, require a utility bill in your name to establish a residence.

Also, in some states military personnel, under permanent change of station orders, are considered residents for CCW purposes.
    Last edited by KenInColo; February 23rd, 2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Last paragraph
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Resident aliens in Tennessee can get a permit. I hear that a TN non res permit is a rarity, but I don't see why a Canadian couldn't get a permit in one of the states that likes to issue non res permits.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Sponsored Links