Bummer, the gun stays home.

This is a discussion on Bummer, the gun stays home. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My employer is shipping my butt off to Iowa for a week of training. Lucky me, I get to drive from Denver to Cherokee IA, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bummer, the gun stays home.

Bummer, the gun stays home.

My employer is shipping my butt off to Iowa for a week of training. Lucky me, I get to drive from Denver to Cherokee IA, and commute 20 miles to class and back (I hate office dwellers )

After doing some research into IA gun laws, I have decided that it is in my best interest to leave my baby at home.

Yeah, I could bring it, but it has to be rendered effectively useless in a crisis (unloaded and locked in a container to large to be concealed, or stowed in luggage/luggage compartment - in a pickup)

IA state law has a nasty little caveat that reads that the required method of transportation has to be the same from point of origin (Colorado) to point of destination.

I am traveling with a coworker in the strictest sense of the word - we are both employed by the same company, and I have only known/met the guy for like 20 minutes. (always carry, never tell) so even though keeping it in the hotel room is OK, we are sharing the room.

Before I got my CC, I never even thought of these kind of things. The gun traveled with me under the seat, and stayed with me in the hotel room, or locked in my vehicle when I was away from the room. I never considered checking into the local rules and regs. Now I want to make sure I obey little laws like this, because I DO NOT want to loose my CC.

Gonna feel naked and I don't like it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

that really sux! am sure glad I am retired and have no reason to leave home for anything. Best I can offer you is be very alert and be ready to run and dodge if things start getting ugly.

Just call me Tweak from South Park.

Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Don't feel all alone. I'm leaving for Texas unarmed today for training at Texas A&M. The difficulties of taking my weapon on this trip were just to much to deal with. So it stays home. BTW your company is making you share a room with a stranger Your trip stinks on all levels I guess. I would have to draw the line at that one.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Don't feel all alone. I'm leaving for Texas unarmed today for training at Texas A&M. The difficulties of taking my weapon on this trip were just to much to deal with. So it stays home. BTW your company is making you share a room with a stranger Your trip stinks on all levels I guess. I would have to draw the line at that one.
    Desk Jockey logic for saving money.

6 weeks ago when they decided to send us to class, they could have flown us, but someone decided it was cheaper to drive instead of fly. Said person did not think about fuel, paying labor during the 10-12 hour drive - per person (the flight is 1.5 hours), wear and tear on the vehicle, potential liability, or potential of getting stranded due to vehicle breakdown or weather.

Even when I found out that I was going and I called BS on the money saving because of the above listed issues, it was still cheaper to fly, but the rental car kicked it over the top.

I have not checked yet, but two rooms at the weekly rate might have been cheaper than a double occupancy for 5 days.

Idiots Amongus, Feareous Abundus
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Well I hope they're not putting you up in a $40 a night roach hotel at least.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Sounds like your getting the shaft all the way around "sticks" at least its their money there blowing, it just sucks its your time their wasting...

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    IA state law has a nasty little caveat that reads that the required method of transportation has to be the same from point of origin (Colorado) to point of destination.
    I don't see how this is enforcable at all. It would raise a serious jurisdiction issue. Do they define the term "point of origin?"
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Sorry. I would NOT be sharing a room with anyone...except a wife. As for bringing your gun, do not watch the movie Vacancy before going.

I would have thought that IA would be a bit more understanding as to carrying, seeing that it is in the midwest. I would check into that a bit more thoroughly.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Iowa gun laws for out of state residents purely sucks. I was born there and go back for short visits to see my uncle. when he is gone I will never go back.
    Jack dog

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    My employer is shipping my butt off to Iowa for a week of training. Lucky me, I get to drive from Denver to Cherokee IA, and commute 20 miles to class and back (I hate office dwellers )

After doing some research into IA gun laws, I have decided that it is in my best interest to leave my baby at home.

Yeah, I could bring it, but it has to be rendered effectively useless in a crisis (unloaded and locked in a container to large to be concealed, or stowed in luggage/luggage compartment - in a pickup)

I am traveling with a coworker in the strictest sense of the word - we are both employed by the same company, and I have only known/met the guy for like 20 minutes. (always carry, never tell) so even though keeping it in the hotel room is OK, we are sharing the room.

Before I got my CC, I never even thought of these kind of things. The gun traveled with me under the seat, and stayed with me in the hotel room, or locked in my vehicle when I was away from the room. I never considered checking into the local rules and regs. Now I want to make sure I obey little laws like this, because I DO NOT want to loose my CC.

Gonna feel naked and I don't like it.
    I agree, that this 'stinks'...but I question the 'from point of origin' law.
    How can IA question how one carries while in another state? While you must stop prior to the state line to comply...how you carry in your vehicle can only be addressed by the state you are in...OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Sorry. I would NOT be sharing a room with anyone...except a wife. As for bringing your gun, do not watch the movie Vacancy before going.

I would have thought that IA would be a bit more understanding as to carrying, seeing that it is in the midwest. I would check into that a bit more thoroughly.
    From what I have heard Iowa is one of the very worst states.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    From what I have heard Iowa is one of the very worst states.
    Your right Iowa is one of the worst states for reciprocity, because they have NONE! Old legislation, and not enough movement to change these archaic laws. We literally have 99 counties and 99 different Sherriffs that issue at their discretion. Some will issue carry permits and some wont. You're just lucky enough to live in a county where a sheriff will issue if you have a ccw. Fortunately I do, but a neighbor to the west across county line, cannot get a ccw.It's a rediculous law that allows a sheriff to determine if someone deserves the right to self defense. What part of the bill of rights do they not understand!
    As you can tell it is a little frustrating here in Iowa, and we do have a new bill in committe that we hope wil cure part of our problems. Hopefully it will get to the floor for debate. It addressess shall issue, and reciprocity. Hopefully things will change but i'm not holding my breath.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

Yea, I don't know about that "Point Of Origin" stuff either.

I once worked for a company that had the "two guys to a room" policy.

I always told my bosses that I was an epileptic and that in spite of my meds, traveling sometimes made me have seizures and that these seizures could by very unnerving and embarrassing for a stranger to witness ... yada, yada yada... The bosses always got flustered and put at a loss for words. They quickly said "Ah, er, ok, no problem, seperate rooms for you two." It worked every time. Of course, I wasn't really epileptic
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I would carry in all the states that reciprocate with colorado then lock it away prior to entering Iowa,I lied in Iowa for a few years I still have relatives there,As far as the room I would tell them i like to pleasure myself in motel rooms and can get real noisy,the other guy might get embarrassed I would suggest seperate rooms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links