Eventful week for guns.

This is a discussion on Eventful week for guns. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First the good: I am the happy owner of a new Springfield XD .45 ACP Compact And the bad for last: After a verbal confrontation ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eventful week for guns.

Eventful week for guns.

First the good: I am the happy owner of a new Springfield XD .45 ACP Compact

And the bad for last: After a verbal confrontation with my “ghetto” neighbor concerning the volume of his bass filled music I was forced to draw my weapon on him. After asking him multiple times to move away from my front door with out success the display of my weapon convinced him in a way words could not. I immediately called the police and explained what I had done. The police came over and filled out a report. They told me that what I did was completely legal and well with in my rights. They scolded my neighbor and told him that he was lucky he didn’t get shot. I love the police here in Oklahoma.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

2. Remove Ads

How did you "display" the weapon? I'm glad everything worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    First the good: I am the happy owner of a new Springfield XD .45 ACP Compact

And the bad for last: After a verbal confrontation with my “ghetto” neighbor concerning the volume of his bass filled music I was forced to draw my weapon on him. After asking him multiple times to move away from my front door with out success the display of my weapon convinced him in a way words could not. I immediately called the police and explained what I had done. The police came over and filled out a report. They told me that what I did was completely legal and well with in my rights. They scolded my neighbor and told him that he was lucky he didn’t get shot. I love the police here in Oklahoma.
    Congrats on the XD. Were did this confrontation take place? did it start at his place then carry over to your place? I get the image of you knocking at his door to turn down the music then he gets mad and follows you to your place. I know the law around my area is I can't start the argument if I draw. I wouldn't want to have to prove that I didn't say anthing to provoke this guy. In my opinion I would have shut the door and call the cops. If I didn't confront the guy about his music at all, and all of a sudden he is at my place then maybe I would draw depending on the situation. Thats my two cents, dosn't sound like we got the whole story.....

Glad it all worked out, stay safe.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Congrats on the new pistol! Bummer about your 'ghetto neighbor' ordeal. Guess all you have to worry about now is what he's going to do to get even. Raise your level of awareness now, and check your driveway for roofing nails and such. Good luck, stay safe.

So now you've gotta move, or move him. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sounds to me like the cops offered the solution...

AMH:

My position isn't unlike yours. My neighbor moved in a few years ago when the owner of the house (a real estate guy) managed to get the house listed under a program that identifies it as "low income subsidized housing" which is absurd (we're not in a low income area at all -- he pulled political strings).. So in essence, the renters pay 1/2 the rent, the Gubbmint pays the other half.

So who moves in? A lady whose kids and extended family are wannabe gangbangers. At one point, I noticed unmarked police in front of my house and went up to ask them what was going on. Turns out our neighbors were harbouring a fugitive.

Anyway, to make a VERY long story short. After calling the police numerous times on these neighbors, for numerous things, they've started to retaliate in very slummy ways. We find booze bottles thrown in our backyard, firecrackers thrown at our dogs, cars getting keyed, etc.

That's the kind of nonsense you'll have to worry about. You might consider some security cameras rather obviously placed outside your home.

Of course there's always sites like: Locate, Rate, and Share Good and Bad Neighbors Before and After You Move that let you, rather publically, document this stuff.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Sorry for the poor paraphrase, I will elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by clacky View Post
    How did you "display" the weapon? I'm glad everything worked out.
    I just un-holstered it, kept the muzzle pointed straight down. I never pointed it at the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Congrats on the XD. Were did this confrontation take place? did it start at his place then carry over to your place? I get the image of you knocking at his door to turn down the music then he gets mad and follows you to your place. I know the law around my area is I can't start the argument if I draw. I wouldn't want to have to prove that I didn't say anthing to provoke this guy. In my opinion I would have shut the door and call the cops. If I didn't confront the guy about his music at all, and all of a sudden he is at my place then maybe I would draw depending on the situation. Thats my two cents, dosn't sound like we got the whole story.....

Glad it all worked out, stay safe.
    I never left my apartment. The music was coming from his car as he pulled into the parking lot. It was loud enough to wake up me and my wife in the middle of the night. This is not the first time it has happened, and we have tried politely talking to him about it in the past.
    Anyways, as he was going into his front door I just poke my head out of my door and chewed him out, I never set foot out of my place. Nor did I have a weapon visible. He said that if I didn’t like the music then I should call the police, so I said that I would. Why he suggested I do this I don’t know, he was obliviously intoxicated and that most likely had something to do with it.
    I then shut my front door and went to fetch the yellow pages to look up the police nonemergency number, next thing I know this guy is banging on my door. After checking the peep hole I opened the door and asked him to leave multiple times. He refused and kept say I needed to come out side to talk. He then put his hand in his pocket and that is when I drew my weapon. It turns out that he was simply reaching for a lighter to light the cigarette in his mouth. I immediately saw that it was only a lighter, which is why I never pointed the weapon at him. But as soon as he saw the weapon he nearly fell over himself trying to get away from my door. It all happened very fast. And in hind sight I could have handled it differently. However the police assured me that I handled the situation in an appropriate manner and that the neighbor was at fault.
    Last edited by AMH; February 24th, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

If you are going to play your music loud, it better be the kind of music that EVERYONE wants to hear! I hate bump and thump music..if I can feel it and it hurts, then it is ASSULT!

Stay alert now that he knows you carry. Sad to say that most people today would rather seek revenge than admit they were wrong. Guess that just the nature of the brute that our society is becoming. I am not saying this to be negative, there are decent, moral people out there. You just have to look a bit harder to find them now.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    And in hind sight I could have handled it differently. However the police assured me that I handled the situation in an appropriate manner and that the neighbor was at fault.
    Hummm...ok, how or what would you have done differently? I think there are some lessons from your situation...you did what you thought you had to do and I am not sure how long you have been carrying, so I am curious what you would have done differently.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummm...ok, how or what would you have done differently? I think there are some lessons from your situation...you did what you thought you had to do and I am not sure how long you have been carrying, so I am curious what you would have done differently.

Rick
    I would not have opened the door for him when he came back.
    Join the NRA!

VIP Member
    Exactly what I would have said. I would not have opened the door to begin with. Talk to him through the door or crack a window. Of course if you had only called the police and not opended the door, he may still retaliate , especially if he got arrested. Sometimes ya just can't win with these idiots.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Yep...agreed. Odds are he would of just left...but would have been prepared to call 911 if it esculated.

Very sadly...now that he knows you have a weapon he may force you to draw not on your terms and within the laws...while attempting to push your buttons.

I also agree with Jang.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Glad you are ok. Good advice has already been posted. Stay on your toes and do your best to avoid any confrontation that might escalate the situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links