Without brandishing ---

This is a discussion on Without brandishing --- within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought of this after Euc's thread on ''almost violence''. In situations where things look dire - I reckon - for me anyways - and probably ...

Thread: Without brandishing ---

Assistant Administrator

Without brandishing ---

Thought of this after Euc's thread on ''almost violence''.

In situations where things look dire - I reckon - for me anyways - and probably most of us - I can gain a hold on my SIG grips without even showing the gun - not anyways to any significant extent. That is OWB, and sho rig is even easier.

This fits two useful requirements - first off it could be deterrant value if a threat is looming from which we cannot immediately retreat and secondly - it gives a good start if a draw is needed.

If situation defuzes then no harm, no foul. Maybe we could call this ''defensive posturing''?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

My local LEOs almost always have their hand resting on the grip of their weapon. If it's not 'brandishing' when they're talking to me or exerting authority, it should be no different for me.

I've done it before while talking to them at the shop and they don't seem to be too appreciative. They seem to stop in my presence at least, so I stop too. ;0

But back to the point at hand, no harm, no foul, at least as far as I'm concerned.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I've not had to use it, but one method is to sneak your hand up under the cover garment from behind (talking vest, jacket type, not untucked shirt) and establish a grip while doing the "good ole boy" pose.

Farnam teaches a confrontational stance that is hand on grip turned away from BG so they can't see what you are holding and putting your fingers up and pointed at them while asking "can I help you?" in a stern voice.

Someone sneaking up on me at my car in a parking lot is one reason I might go into this stance. There are a lot more, but you get the point.

VIP Member
    It's called prestidigitation
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

OK, I admit it... if it were not for dictionary.com I'd still be wondering what that big word meant. :)

VIP Member
    Wasn't sure if I spelled it right. I'll be watching your new iternet digs to see all the good stuff you're adding.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My take on it is.....never give the potential threat even a glimpse of your weapon and refrain from making a threatening jesture. If I were a LEO,one of the first things that I would ask someone that stated to me that"he pointed a gun at me" would be to describe the weapon. IMO to position the hand for a presentation would be a good thing.-------- Pre---what ? I don't have a dictionary that even goes that "high".

Lead Moderator
    I agree with RSSZ, better to not tip your hand if possible. Especially when ya figure how fast someone can close the distance. If ya can discretely draw or get a hand on your pistol, I see this as a much better option. Most will not even notice a gun in hand held along your leg.

VIP Member

Your state laws may vary

In VA once you put your hand on any part of your gun that qualifies as brandishing. Now it doesn't apply to legitimate self-defense situations. So should you find yourself "brandishing" best to call the police and let them know. Better that than be on your way and find yourself detained for "brandishing" because the other person called the police on you.

-Scott-

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I am right handed and wear my Kimber in a OWB at 3:30-4:00 o'clock position. If the BG is in my 12 o'clock position(directly in front of me),my normal presentation is started by turning to my right to put the BG at my 10 o'clock position.(I shoot Weaver) To the BG my right hand dissappears behind my right hip.He can't see what I'm doing with it.(Please,oh please,don't shoot me,crying and begging/pleading with the BG,heres my wallet,take it,it's yours just pleeeeese don't hurt me !!) The women that I teach are really great at this.Some of them actually tear up. Of course the BG ends up eating at least two rounds from your "wallet". Point is that my weapon stays behind my hip. If the BG moves off to my right,I continue to turn to the right. If I put my hand on my weapon he can't see it.Then, when the LEO (if I lived in Va.) askes me if I put my hand on my weapon I would tell him "what he wants to hear". Hey,works for me.--------

Like scott said ya have to watch what ya do im not sure on the ruleing here but in some citys touching the gun though cloths they would call brandishing we have quite a few antigun citys close to where i live

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar

+1 for RSSZ

I've never faced the situation, but I agree with RSSZ's scenario. This would make the most sense to me and seems to be a good way to ready yourself if things go bad.

Links