Travel time and need some help.

This is a discussion on Travel time and need some help. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a week I will be traveling to the Keys in Florida and I need some help from the Florida and Georgia folks. I need ...

Thread: Travel time and need some help.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar

Exclamation Travel time and need some help.

In a week I will be traveling to the Keys in Florida and I need some help from the Florida and Georgia folks. I need to know what the car carry laws in Georgia are. My permit does not cover Georgia so I hope they have a Car carry policy. Secondly, I was wondering where in FLorida ia off-limits to carry.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Ck here for links to GA laws

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

This is a "layman's" version of the firearm laws of Georgia. The information contained herein this document SHOULD NOT and CANNOT be construed as legal advice or as an alternate version of the current law. It is your own personal responsibility to know the law! The author of this document Cannot and Will not be responsible for its use in place of the actual law as legal advice. In short, Use at your own risk!

This document contains understandable versions of the Georgia Firearm Laws which covers the most referred to laws in the GA criminal code 16-11-120 - 16-11-134. THERE MAYBE OTHER FIREARM LAWS IN THE GEORGIA CODE THAT THIS DOCUMENT MAY NOT COVER! You have been warned!*NOTE: It is more understandable if this document is read in its entirety rather than reading and jumping to different topics, as one law may have an effect on another.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-120 The Georgia firearms and weapons act.

Carrying firearms
    There are 2 laws of Georgia that address the carrying of firearms in public.

Concealed Weapons: are defined as any bludgeon (asp baton, nun chucks, ect), metal knuckles, firearm (this means ANY firearm capable of being concealed, not just handguns), knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense (swords, ballistic knives), or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument that is not carried in an open manner and fully exposed to view. For weapons to be considered not to be concealed, they must be carried in some type of holster, scabbard, or sheath that is NOT to be hidden or covered up by the person's clothing or in the person's pockets (unless the grip is completely exposed). Weapons MUST be able to be visible through ordinary observation - this is commonly known as being able to view the weapon from at least 3 different viewing angles. This law does not apply to carrying a concealed weapon in a person's own home (including the property the home is situated on IF it is owned by the home owner), and place of business (including the property of the business is located on IF it is owned by the business owner). In order to be exempt from carrying a concealed weapon without a license at your place of business, you MUST either be the business owner or be a lead manager or the person who is in complete control of the business if you are not the owner. "Regular" employees are not exempt unless they have written permission from the person in control of the said business to carry a concealed weapon. This does not apply to weapons carried openly. This law does not permit, outside of a person's home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and even then the person may only carry the pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm only in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, or any other holster (ankle holster, crotch holster, fanny pack holster, pocket holster,ect) and also a hipgrip or any other similar securing device (a hipgrip is a type of grip that has a clip sticking out to hook on to your belt or pants, a similar device to the hipgrip is a clip) at which point the weapon MAY BE concealed by the person's clothing, or handbag, purse, briefcase, or any other close container. (Concealed carry is an option but is NOT required to carry a firearm. Firearms can be openly carried, however in each case; the firearm MUST be carried in a holster or other type of securing device)

This code section does not forbid the carrying of a loaded handgun in any private motor vehicle by a person who is not licensed, but also who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, in an open manner and totally exposed to view. For those who are not listed as ineligible for a license (found below in the "Firearm License Carrying" section) may also place the gun in the glove compartment, console, or any other similar closed compartment. A person who has a license issued under code 16-11-129 may carry a loaded handgun in any location, openly or concealed, in the vehicle. (This section does not address the legality of carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun in one's motor vehicle. I would assume that if you have a license then you would be fine, but use common sense and caution)Violation of this code section is a misdemeanor for a first offense and a felony for a 2nd or subsequent offense.(16-11-126; Carroll co. probate court)
    Last edited by airslot; February 24th, 2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: add information
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

GA car carry

In GA wothout a permit, you must keep your weapon visible, except if it is in the glove box or center console. I hold a permit, so I'm not as up to snuff as I should be. There might be other places you can keep it, but I don't want to say anything that might be inaccurate. Check out ga.gov and look at the regs.

No help for Fla., though, haven't been through lately. Enjoy your trip.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help." -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    Secondly, I was wondering where in FLorida ia off-limits to carry.
    Here you go.

Possession Restrictions - Weapons - Division of Licensing, DOACS

If you're headed for the Keys......# 10 will prob be the biggie. For clarification, you can carry in a restaurant, even if alcohol is served. You cannot carry in any bar area of a restaurant or in a bar where alcohol is primarily sold.

Leave it out of Captain Tony's or Sloppy Joe's!

Thanks or the help. Man I can't wait.

I will be heading down around that area, well San Destin any who. I was wondering though, I don't want to leave my pistol in the truck while i am out on an 8hour deep sea fishing trip, can I carry while fishing?
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla82ABN View Post
    I will be heading down around that area, well San Destin any who. I was wondering though, I don't want to leave my pistol in the truck while i am out on an 8hour deep sea fishing trip, can I carry while fishing?
    Sure.

Florida You Carry In Your Vehicle Loaded As Long As It's Securelly Incased.

My permit is valid in FL so i'm good to go on carry i was just worried about GA

Links