"Scouted" at lunchtime-Spidey Senses Tingled

This is a discussion on "Scouted" at lunchtime-Spidey Senses Tingled within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had an interesting lunch today. I leave the office in a marked company truck for lunch. I am legally parked on a public street ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Scouted" at lunchtime-Spidey Senses Tingled

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

"Scouted" at lunchtime-Spidey Senses Tingled

I had an interesting lunch today. I leave the office in a marked company truck for lunch. I am legally parked on a public street that receives very little traffic, even though it is next to one of our dying strip centers. I pack my lunch and use this escape time to get away from the office.

A white Buick Skylark (early '80's X-Body) driven by a white female with two male passengers - one white, the other hispanic - drives by and proceeds toward the nearby Micky D's. The vehicle returns in less than a minute, slows down as it approaches my truck and the two men look at me. They looked like Post Office mug shots with a drug habit! They drove by me, went two blocks, turned around and drove by me very slowly - again with both men looking at me. At no time did I see either man's hands. This process repeated itself yet a third time!

The first pass I chalked up to somebody forgot money for Mc D's. The second time I figured something was up and had my .45 in hand and the third time I stared back at them with my .45 aimed outwards, yet hidden below the window line. I left the area shortly thereafter and returned to work.

This is not a big town (125,000) but it is not without crime. We have some drive-by's, gang-banger wannabies and drug/domestic crime. Living in Orlando for 14 years and reading things in here helped a lot with my awareness. I do expect to see the vehicle (and perhaps its occupants) again driving on the streets of this town again. Perhaps they thought I was someone else, or perhaps they thought I looked like an easy mark. For their sake, I hope it's the former and not the latter.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Good job with the situatuional awareness
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Good looking.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    We could speculate all day about what we think they were up to but we know whatever it was, it weren't good!

Good situational awareness bro!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    They looked like Post Office mug shots with a drug habit!
    I call this 'felony face'. Instant alert.

Maybe the "look" you was giving them was one of those "gimme a reason" looks. Having your "buddy" in your hand gave you a lot more confidence than without it and you probably demostrated that you were not going to be an easy target.

In that place and time under these circumstances it sounds like these three would raise the hairs on the back of the necks of even the oblivious . Good job on telegraphing that you're not the one .
    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - General George Patton Jr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Perhaps, Jframe, and I've thought about that. In hindsight, however, I don't think I did. I intentionally try not to give that look. I watched their approach in the rear view mirror - that's what made me elevate the condition. I finished the last part of my sandwich, looked right to the passenger mirror and returned to the driver's mirror. That's when I saw them take the last 50 yards very slowly. I am just glad I didn't have to pull the trigger, but was prepared to do so if it broke bad. I guess the good thing was that I wasn't shaky, didn't feel a super adrenaline surge, just was ready.
    Last edited by sniper58; February 25th, 2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: addition
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

This is a very good post because it perfectly illustrates how anyone at anytime can become the target of criminal(s). Had you not been armed and aware of what was going on around you you would have been easy prey. If I may, without offending anyone, I also think this is a good illustration of why it is better if possible to be armed with something substantial. I don't want to minimize the utility of smaller weapons but there are sitiuations where there is no substitute for a full size or close to full size weapon with ample ammo. I think this was one of those sitiuations.

Great job in your encounter! Glad it ended well.

Its a good post,good to keep the eyes sharp...

I was going to say "good situational awareness" but then thought better of it. Not because you don't have good situational awareness but because you'd have had to be either asleep or dead not to notice those clowns.

Well done on the way you handled it though. Watch for them the next time you are in that area and be aware that they may very well be in a different vehicle. The one they were in could have easily been stolen, so watch for faces, not necessarily the vehicle.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It is great things turned out well. I know the hair stoodup on the back of my neck simply reading it.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    The first pass I chalked up to somebody forgot money for Mc D's. The second time I figured something was up and had my .45 in hand and the third time I stared back at them with my .45 aimed outwards, yet hidden below the window line. I left the area shortly thereafter and returned to work.
    I am glad it worked out. I am not sure what "look" I could give that would say "don't mess with me". Does anyone think it would have been a good idea to expose the firearm in a non-threatening way (ie not pointing it at them, just show it to say I am armed).
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Maybe would be smart to let the cops know about this suspicious behavior, including the time, description of the car and occupants, and its plate number - sounds like this crew was "casing" someplace for a score. If the car was stolen, it would be a good heads up - civic duty and all that.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I am glad it worked out. I am not sure what "look" I could give that would say "don't mess with me". Does anyone think it would have been a good idea to expose the firearm in a non-threatening way (ie not pointing it at them, just show it to say I am armed).
    Probably best not to show a gun unless it is time to shoot. In the situation described, say you lifted your gun up where they could see it, for all you know they have one ready as well and might just shoot you right away. Keep your gun ready and give them a Clint Eastwood "Make My Day" look.

Now if they stopped the car and got out to approach you, and you had no way to accelerate out of there, then it might be time to show them you are armed and ready.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links