Denver's FOX 31 hackjob on CCW

This is a discussion on Denver's FOX 31 hackjob on CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Denver's Fox 31 news did "an undercover investigative report" on CCW's tonight. It was a hack-and-slash job. They made a huge deal about "anyone can ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Denver's FOX 31 hackjob on CCW

Denver's Fox 31 news did "an undercover investigative report" on CCW's tonight. It was a hack-and-slash job.

They made a huge deal about "anyone can get a permit! Even if they don't know how to use a gun!" I'm hoping they put it online. They used terms like "terrifying loophole" in the law.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

The gentleman in the video, Rich Wyatt is currently doing work on one of my .45's. He's an excellent gunsmith. Gunsmoke made headlines a few years back by taking out a full page ad in Soldier Of Fortune magazine offering to pay $100,000 to anyone who killed Osama Bin Laden with a Gunsmoke gun.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Denver's Fox 31 news did "an undercover investigative report" on CCW's tonight. It was a hack-and-slash job.

They made a huge deal about "anyone can get a permit! Even if they don't know how to use a gun!" I'm hoping they put it online. They used terms like "terrifying loophole" in the law.
    This is exactly what I always speak of. The use of outright lies and deception.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I saw that - the "Loophole" to which the story refered was that Colorado does not require a demonstration of familiarity and proficiency at the range. Strange, but true. Nonetheless, I find it a bit ironic that Denver (a gun-averse city) leads the state in per-capita crime.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I saw that - the "Loophole" to which the story refered was that Colorado does not require a demonstration of familiarity and proficiency at the range. Strange, but true. Nonetheless, I find it a bit ironic that Denver (a gun-averse city) leads the state in per-capita crime.
    The fact that you can buy a gun without showing familiarity and proficiency isn't viewed as a loophole in gun purchasing laws. That was left out of the report, of course.

Denver is the armpit of Colorado. I can carry concealed there, but I cannot legally open carry there. Go figure.

FOX 31 is a horrible news station, they twist any and every 'expose' they do. They are worthless and make whatever they are talking about seem like the devil himself.

VIP Member
    Not a good news report. Definately out to make ccw look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post

Consider the source and their leftist agenda.
    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - General George Patton Jr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sniper 58

You said that Colorado does not require proficiency for a permit.

I'm a little confused here.

When I applied for my permit (in Las Animas County) I was required to attend a 16 hour class, of which the last 8 was range time.

Is that just my County or what?

...Skye...

Sorry to say...

That I agree with the report. They caught the instructor with his pants down. If indeed Colorado has such loose requirements, it should be looked into. We'll never get any type of near-national reciprocity if there are not consistent standards in place. I thought Arizona was easy to obtain a CCW...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I took the ccw class from Rich at Gunsmoke. I also took his 5.5 day general pistol class last fall(this class changed my life by the way) Rich is a low key straight to the point kind of guy who will help anyone interested in learning or improving their firearm skills.Fox rocky mountain is just another media outlet that is unwilling to report on anything without bias one way or another. That story was way below the belt.
    Support your local gun shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
    You said that Colorado does not require proficiency for a permit.

I'm a little confused here.

When I applied for my permit (in Las Animas County) I was required to attend a 16 hour class, of which the last 8 was range time.

Is that just my County or what?

...Skye...
    In Mesa County mine was 16 hrs as well. 2 full 8 hr days with each afternoon spent on the range. I didn't see the report on TV but it sounds as if someone played fast and loose with the truth.

Thumbs down

I've stated this before in other threads.

It scares the heck out of me that CO requirements are next to null. Jane or Joe citizen who has never touched or handled a gun, can take a class like the one at Gunsmoke (I also took mine there, and was not impressed) apply for the permit, pass the background check, pay the fees, and can be out on the streets carrying with no training other than a brief overview of the law, and the requirements for employing deadly force in a defensive situation.

Now, that lady at Adams County that sated that "We are forced to issue" is an overstatement. The sheriffs still have discretionary authority to deny based on gut feeling.

The statements about the class being more of a political agenda, BS stories and sales pitch is absolutely accurate. Rich would be better off serving our cause lobbying than teaching the course.

BTW, he is supposedly an ex Aurora cop and either chief of police or Sheriff in a small county that feels that the words on the doors of the cruisers should read "Comply or Die" rather than "Protect and Serve"

I DO NOT recommend that anyone take the course there. It is over priced (as well as his firearm training courses) and not sufficient IMHO.

ON EDIT - I am going to send Fox a letter stating that Gunsmoke is only one of hundreds in Colorado that teach the class, and a majority of them do include firearms training.
    Last edited by pgrass101; February 26th, 2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Edited Language
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sent to Fox

As a CCW permit holder in Colorado, I was a little offended on your painting the entire Concealed Permit process as something that ANYONE can get a permit.

You failed to mention that all applicants have to be fingerprinted and go through a very detailed background check through both the CBI and FBI. You also failed to mention that the County Sheriffs have discretionary authority to deny issue, it is not a must issue.

CCW permit holders are among the most law abiding citizens in the state. We have NO criminal history, no restraining orders, no history of violence, drug use, alcohol abuse, or mental instability.

Gunsmoke and Rich Wyatt is just one of hundreds of places in Colorado that a citizen can take a class and most of them do include more involved handling and training in the use of a handgun.

And as a CCW permit holder that did take the Gunsmoke class, I have sought out additional formal training in the use of a handgun, even though I grew up with firearms in the house, my father taught me firearm safety and use, and have legally owned a handgun since I turned 21 and am very proficient with it.

Perhaps you should do a follow up story with another class that includes gun handling and range time showing that those graduates are qualified to carry a concealed handgun and know how to use it, including more detail in the process of obtaining the permit (background check, ect.
    Not that it will do any good, but I can hope.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links