Hiding Your Weapon (In the House)

This is a discussion on Hiding Your Weapon (In the House) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering does anyone actually do this? If so, anything that is commercially available that doesn't scream open me I have something inside? I'm looking ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiding Your Weapon (In the House)

Hiding Your Weapon (In the House)

Just wondering does anyone actually do this? If so, anything that is commercially available that doesn't scream open me I have something inside? I'm looking for anything that looks like it goes on the wall, bookshelf, whatever that I can pick up that fits into the rest of my home. I don't have room / money for a safe, and hiding things seems like the next best option.

2. Remove Ads

Are you asking abt while you are home or away? If at home, so it could be handy if it needed be and you have NO young kids around, a couple of folded towels on top of the washer with a pistol tucked between them is handy..while sitting in your easy chair, maybe in a holster at your side in the chair..if not at home and you do not have a bunch of guns, maybe take them with you and lock them up in the trunk?

I guess I mean for semi permanent being in the house. I forgot to mention, no kids, and very very few visitors.

I have seen and I think Cabels'a carries a picture with a deep frame; the picture opens to a space to hide a gun. I have also slid mine between the arm of a couch or chair and the cushion.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have a locked bed side safe that will hold two handguns. It has a programmable 4 button combination and cost $90.00. It is screwed to the floor. That is affordable and fast access. I bought it the same day at the same gun store where I bought my first handgun. I regard it as the minimum for leaving a handgun secured in the house when I'm not home.

I won't leave a handgun at home when I'm not there that isn't locked up. Period.

I have a gun safe in the basement. I bought the gun safe before I bought more handguns than the bedside safe would hold - it holds two.

I had an eye opening experience when I lived in California. A good friend who was a Sargent in the LAPD once told me he could find anything I hid in the house in 10 minutes if I hid it so it was accessible and didn't require disassembly of the house to get to it. We picked something to hide that was the size of a handgun. The rules were it had to be accessible with out disassembling anything.

I hid it when he wasn't anyplace near our house and asked him to find it next time he was over. He had it in two minutes flat.

He said it is really hard to hide things so an experienced criminal can't find them in 5 minutes.

Fitch

If you have lots of books then a hollow book could work well. they'd have to be fairly dedicated to check every book of a good library individually.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

In a bed room somtimes I have put mine just under the pillow of my bed. I figure if you are going to come looking for somthing in my room under a pillow of a messy bed is the last place to look.

Quote Originally Posted by lopadrino79 View Post
    In a bed room somtimes I have put mine just under the pillow of my bed. I figure if you are going to come looking for somthing in my room under a pillow of a messy bed is the last place to look.
    From watching "It takes a thief", most burglars would just flip the bed to see if anything is under the mattress. They would hear the clunk of the gun hitting the floor. OMO
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

true, I never though of that. as small as my room is and the stuff it filled with, flipping the king mattress that against two walls would probly leave me to finding them with a broken bone n the floor. My rooms a war zone.

Sportsman's Guide sometimes sells those picture frames that hide a gun as mentioned by another poster. They also sell an end table and a coffee table which look like normal furniture (and have locks) with storage space for guns inside. The end table in particular looks innocuous if you put something like a decorative cozy and a lamp on one.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    If you can hide it really well than hide it. The problem with hiding things is that if you have a break in and once the BG finds something that is hidden he or she will distroy your house looking for other things he is sure you have hidden. I have seen wall safe at gun shows that are reasonable and you hang a picture over it. I don't know you budget but save up for the best safe you can. You sure don't want to have some punk kid get you weapon.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Mine are always hidden in the safe---except the one that's with me. Not necessarily 'on' me, but with me. Within arm's reach-always, and yes--it goes to the bathroom with me too. When I'm home, the combination lock on the safe is within the last tumble to open the door--upon leaving, it's scrambled. In my honest opinion--there's no sense in hiding weapons in the house-keep your trusted with you-company coming over?--believe me-you'll find a way to be discrete about things. I understand your quest for information, and part of what you are actually wanting to do. I recommend you continue finding viable alternatives to do what you think necessary--but--I 'd like you to realize that some of the folks you'll be receiving opinions from are real serious about being armed for the best part of 24 hours a day that they can, and they've made it a way of life, myself included. (God bless my family for understanding this and fully supporting it). Once you are at that level, everything about your armed status will become natural. Trust me. I've been where you are.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    How many and what kind? Hiding two pistols is easier then six long guns. So a little more info would help us help you.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Lead Moderator
    Even a cheap safe is better than just hiding guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have no room in my house for a large safe, so I've had to get creative. My favorite is the empty laundry detergent container that I cut the bottom off and that sits over top of one of my hand guns. It sits on the shelf above the washer & drier by our main door to the house. I guess if a thief really feels like going through my laundry stuff then I'm in trouble, but I like that one a lot.

Most important though, is training my kids. I have four kids who all shoot with me, and know the rules should they ever find a firearm lying around, whether in my house or a friends house. We drill these rules every morning on the way to school. (Don't touch it! Get immediately away from it! Tell an adult right away!) If one of my teenagers is baby-sitting the younger ones, I fully expect them to do whatever it takes to defend themselves and their siblings.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links