Reciprocity: Wyoming, Utah, Nevada

This is a discussion on Reciprocity: Wyoming, Utah, Nevada within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be taking a trip from Wyoming, through Utah, and into Nevada next month. The reciprocity maps show UT as honoring my Wyo permit, ...

Thread: Reciprocity: Wyoming, Utah, Nevada

Reciprocity: Wyoming, Utah, Nevada

I will be taking a trip from Wyoming, through Utah, and into Nevada next month.

The reciprocity maps show UT as honoring my Wyo permit, but the Utah State site does not list Wyoming as a state whose permit it honors. Does anyone know the real scoop on this? The website does not appear to have a phone number listed.

Neveda likewise does not appear to honor my permit. What are the restrictions for having the firearm in my car while traveling in Nevada?

Your responses will be appreciated, thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Nevada and Utah

Nevada recognizes the following states' CCW permits:
    Alaska
    Arkansas
    Florida (added January 3, 2008)
    Kansas
    Louisiana
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Tennessee
    Utah

This can be verified at the Nevada DPS website here:

Nevada DPS website - CCW Reciprocity

I believe that Utah recognizes the permits of all other states.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

it is not illegal to conceal a weapon in your car. you can hide it, stash it whatever you want and not get in trouble.
    in nevada
    nevada is also an open carry state.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Utah's website lists states with which it has full reciprocity.

Honoring a permit from another state, and having full reciprocity are two different things.

Utah honors your permit, but doesn't have full reciprocity. From what I know, full reciprocity is just a written agreement between states. Doesn't really change anything, other than having the piece of signed paper.

This is from the Utah BCI website:

"In accordance with U.C.A. 76-10-523, Utah will honor a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by another state or county."

There you have it.

Nate

ADDED: Look into Nevada's policy on "peacable journey". You can carry your gun to your destination, but not once you get there.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Thanks for the input guys!

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar

Concealed Carry Travel Planning

My favorite resource for concealed carry travel planning is Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map. It even has the ability to combine more than one state if you also have a non-resident permit from another state.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    There's a very important bit of information missing from the Nevada replies.
    In Nevada, you can conceal a gun in your car without a CCW, no problem, EXCEPT- North Las Vegas (the city, not northern Las Vegas), and Boulder NV both have a local law prohibiting concealing a gun in a car without a CCW permit. So, if you're going through either of those cities (and if you come into Nevada from Arizona over the Hoover Dam, you'll go through Boulder), make sure that your gun is in plain sight until after you leave the area.

And Yes, Nevada is an open carry state. But use some common sense- don't try it on the Strip. The cops may decide to take you down first then ask you what you're doing. Face it, some nutjob will make a "Man with a gun" call to Metro, and they'll er, discuss the situation with you. Now for myself, I don't particularly like to eat concrete for lunch. Use some sense- you may be in the right, but it's still not worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    There's a very important bit of information missing from the Nevada replies.
    In Nevada, you can conceal a gun in your car without a CCW, no problem, EXCEPT- North Las Vegas (the city, not northern Las Vegas), and Boulder NV both have a local law prohibiting concealing a gun in a car without a CCW permit. So, if you're going through either of those cities (and if you come into Nevada from Arizona over the Hoover Dam, you'll go through Boulder), make sure that your gun is in plain sight until after you leave the area.

And Yes, Nevada is an open carry state. But use some common sense- don't try it on the Strip. The cops may decide to take you down first then ask you what you're doing. Face it, some nutjob will make a "Man with a gun" call to Metro, and they'll er, discuss the situation with you. Now for myself, I don't particularly like to eat concrete for lunch. Use some sense- you may be in the right, but it's still not worth the hassle.
    I will second that.
    Open carry may technically be legal, but open carry in the tourist areas will get you an immediate response from the police.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    My favorite resource for concealed carry travel planning is Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map. It even has the ability to combine more than one state if you also have a non-resident permit from another state.
    Try this map too.
    Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    So, if you're going through either of those cities (and if you come into Nevada from Arizona over the Hoover Dam, you'll go through Boulder), make sure that your gun is in plain sight until after you leave the area.
    The Boulder City ordinance prohibits having a firearm. You must have it "broken down" and not accessable. Do not have it in plain sight in your car or anywhere else in Boulder City.

Ken

Links