What would you do? Utah students hide guns, head to class

This is a discussion on What would you do? Utah students hide guns, head to class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Utah students hide guns, head to class - CNN.com I carry every day to class! What would you do if you attended a school that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? Utah students hide guns, head to class

Utah students hide guns, head to class - CNN.com

I carry every day to class! What would you do if you attended a school that had a supposed ban? carry anyway? attend another university?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Well, I wouldn't post to a public forum that I do it anyway.

As for the article. The communist news network finally managed to actually write an article without their usual propaganda.

to CNN
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

My current campus DOES actually allow concealed carry.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

CNN

As far as CNN not having a story full of propaganda, if you'll read the small paragraph at the top in Italics:

'CNNU campus correspondent Joshua Molina is a senior at Brigham Young University. CNNU is a feature that provides student perspectives on news and trends from colleges across the United States. The views expressed in this article are not necessarily those of CNN, its affiliates or the schools where the campus correspondents are based.'

haha, at least they put it up on their site!
    -Alexander Hamilton

I work at a University that requires permission from the Local Authority to concealed Carry with permit, by state Law. And, even though I have a Permit and have worked here for 28 years, I disarm. However I know of faculty that I believe, ignore that law and carry anyway. I know of a few that have Permission. Very few. I work to change the law. If I had an outstanding reason to break that law and it was evident that my life was in danger I would have to chose to break that law. I have to risk it for now in order to obey that law. I have little choice. Follow it or break it.

Fortunately (or sadly) I can have that gun in the car and I can travel through campus and around parking lots etc because of the way that the law defines "into the premise" is defined. Any public road, sidewalk, parking lot or grounds that is open to the public 24 hours per day is not restricted. This leaves simply the structures and buildings as the restricted carry places.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang00066 View Post
    My current campus DOES actually allow concealed carry.
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound as if I was directing that at you. I know Utah does. Mine doesn't, which is why I didn't answer your question.

haha, at least they put it up on their site!
    Well, it's progress anyway...and I get so few reasons to applaud CNN.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

What would you do if you attended a school that had a supposed ban? carry anyway?
    No. Even if you don't agree with the law, you must follow it. It is bad for our cause to have CCW people ignore the law. There is also risk you go to prison and loose firearms privileges for life as a felon.

attend another university?
    Not really an option. This is the sort of things the Brady Bunch says. The choice of college is an important and complex one. Having to make it because you fear for your safety shouldn't happen.

Join the Students for Concealed Carry organization. Lobby and work to get the law changed...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    There is also risk you go to prison and loose firearms privileges for life as a felon.
    Just for the sake of discussion, is it a for sure felony to have a gun where it's posted you aren't supposed to, say a certain store? From what I've heard, as long as it's concealed nobody will know about it anyway, but if for some reason it IS discovered, then you have the obligation to leave and secure it in your car and then return and there's no problem. BUT, if you refuse to leave and they do call the police, the most you'd get is a misdemeanor. Anyone have any actual information or real life situation where this has happened?

76-10-530 — Trespass with a firearm in a house of worship or private residence -- Notice -- Penalty. - Utah 76-10-530 — Trespass with a firearm in a house of worship or private residence -- Notice -- Penalty. - Utah Code :: Justia

All i could find (in Utah anyway) on this was the last line saying it's an 'infraction' ...?
    -Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    I ALWAYS obey the law!

(That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Utah Students Carrying to Class

From CNN News - an article about Utah students carrying concealed.

It didn't copy well, so I posted the link.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

This is the conundrum that otherwise lawful thinking and acting citizens of DC find themselves in toward living in their home and/or simply walking on their own neighborhood streets.
    Many of those people do as these students are.

Something about being judged by twelve rather than you or your being carried by six.
    Survival is job 1.

- Janq

"...But I understand." - Chris Rock
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Utah students hide guns, head to class - CNN.com

I carry every day to class! What would you do if you attended a school that had a supposed ban? carry anyway? attend another university?
    This is a question everyone must deal with on his own. Judge by 12 or carried by 6?
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    is it a for sure felony to have a gun where it's posted you aren't supposed to
    Yea, good point. It may vary state to state, but assuming you are otherwise legal, it is likely a misdemeanor.

College campuses are a special case these days- you also have to wonder how the campus police and anti's are going to react if you are seen. There is so much fear about any gun on a college campus there will likely be a serious reaction. This past Monday, a campus on Long Island was locked down after a report of a gun:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nman-seen.html

Oh, I am sure you would be expelled too. Might put a damper on your degree.

Food for thought. I am certainly planning on following the law...

"a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

For the record, Utah does allow carry on campus. So for the OP and the guy on campus, he wasn't breaking any laws. I think the OP wanted to know what we do, in other states, where it is against the law.

My answer...I'm not telling.

Who is John Galt?

Exclamation

I have read many posts regarding this and similar questions.

What you're asking everyone to admit is whether or not they are breaking the law. IMO you shouldn't. If you personally feel the need to carry into an area that is prohibited, then you must personally justify the decision and subsequently live with the decision. Period.

I feel your frustration. I work for a Gun-Free Campus, actually per policy; "All Deadly Weapons Prohibited" Campus. I do not carry at work and my gun is locked in my vehicle right now; in the dark, cold, and lonely .

I think the better question to ask the members here is "How much do you do for the cause? I work like cphilip said, "to change the law". And to do that we all have to get involved at the local, state, and federal level.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links