Moving to TX

This is a discussion on Moving to TX within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Georgia license, and I will become a TX resident over the summer. Does anyone know if I can just get a new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to TX

Moving to TX

I have a Georgia license, and I will become a TX resident over the summer. Does anyone know if I can just get a new license b/c of reciprocity? Will I have to start the process all over again in my new home state?

I have never taken a course, as GA doesn't require it and I'm dirt poor.

Will my GA license still be good as a TX resident as long as I have filed for a TX license?

I really hate the idea of being unarmed for who knows how long while I'm trying to make this happen.
    Half measures availed us nothing...

2. Remove Ads

Texas has reciprocity with Georgia, as of November 22, 2004. The license is $140 dollars or $70 for a renewal...I don't think yours will qualify as a renewal. The class is 10 hours for a new license and will run between 100-150 dollars. It will include a range trip where you must demonstrate proficiency. So you can add in the cost of range rental and rounds(50). If you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. With SA, you can carry both. Our permit lasts 5 years, give or take...depends on your birthday.

If your GA permit will expire before you have been in TX for about 4 months, then there is a chance your permit could lapse. You should fill out the application, pay the fee, and schedule a class as soon as possible. Most of the instructors here will do the fingerprints, photo's and notary requirements as part of the regular class.

Welcome to Texas. PM me if you need any more specific information or will be moving close to Dallas.

I should probably add that I do not know if your Georgia permit will still be good if you are no longer a resident of Georgia. Somebody here will probably be able to answer that question. In Texas we have to send a fee in if we move to change our address...I'm not sure how that works if you are moving out of state.

Try here...I'm trying to look up the exact answers now...
    TexasCHLforum.com • Index page
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I think you'll be out of luck for 6 months required residency. Don't think you Georgia license will be any good either. You might check and see if Texas honors any other states non-resident licenses.

Link:
    Texas DPS - Crime Records Service

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I can't find the price of the transfer, but the applicable code is GC 411.173. It states that you do not have to meet the residence requirements, but that...
    if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state. The procedure must include payment of a fee in an amount sufficient to recover the average cost to the detartment of obtaining a criminal history record check and investigation on a nonresident applicant....
    anyway, here is where you get the application
    https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/...rofCertManager

and here is the link showing that Georgia has reciprocity with Texas
    georgia.gov - Georgia's Firearm Permit Reciprocity
    and the link showing Texas has reciprocity with Georgia
    Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    While you're waiting on your CHL license to arrive, you can legally have a gun concealed in your car without a permit as of last year. That's better than nothing while you're waiting.

Can you come here & get a TX drivers license ahead of time to establish your residency earlier?

Call TX Department of Public Safety and have them send you the paperwork for a non-resident TX permit.

Then when you move to TX have the permit changed from non-resident to resident status.

Establishing residency is not required as Texas has a non-resident license that is renewed at it's expiration the same as a resident license. Plus he has reciprocity...and yes, concealed carry in a private vehicle is legal in Texas without any permit.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Call TX Department of Public Safety and have them send you the paperwork for a non-resident TX permit.

Then when you move to TX have the permit changed from non-resident to resident status.
    Mitchell, you beat me to it...but you are absolutely right...
    and the online link to fill out the application is posted about 4 posts up.

Who is John Galt?

Thanks for all the help.

I'm currently in TX, been here for 4 yrs now as a student in Denton.

I will be able to apply for residency sometime in the summer, as I've only been living off-campus since summer '07.

For now I'm just gonna try and get my DL and other auto stuff in order, then save up for the TX CHL. I will try to clarify the issue with someone who knows, but it doesn't look like I qualify for the non-rez permit since GA is a shall-issue state.

I will miss GA for its incredibly cheap licenses ($45) and quick turn-arounds (9 days), and, of course, the red clay, sweet tea, etc.
    Half measures availed us nothing...

VIP Member
    fyi....if you establish residence in Texas you're immediately considered a resident, we no longer have a minimum time in-state before you "qualify" to be a resident
    get the app and get it all turned in and get the class taken asap
    I would assume that once you officially move to Texas for residency that your GA license would need to be surrendered but I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night either

pre-welcome to Texas, glad to have you!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Plum View Post
    Thanks for all the help.

I'm currently in TX, been here for 4 yrs now as a student in Denton.

I will be able to apply for residency sometime in the summer, as I've only been living off-campus since summer '07.

For now I'm just gonna try and get my DL and other auto stuff in order, then save up for the TX CHL. I will try to clarify the issue with someone who knows, but it doesn't look like I qualify for the non-rez permit since GA is a shall-issue state.

I will miss GA for its incredibly cheap licenses ($45) and quick turn-arounds (9 days), and, of course, the red clay, sweet tea, etc.
    Once you see where you can carry in TX -vs- GA, you will be happy that you're here.

From what I have been able to gather, if you establish residency in TX, you will need to apply for a new permit from TX, take the class, and pass the background check and your permit should be in the mail in 4-6 weeks. Your Georgia permit will be good in TX if you have a valid address linked to the GA permit. You will not have to establish residency(i.e. 6 months) based on GC 411.173, but you will have to apply for a new TX license. GA and TX have a reciprocity agreement so one is good in the other.(and regarding your earlier post, TX is shall issue, also) If you have been residing in TX for the last 4 years, your GA permit may be invalid. If it is not and is current, then there is no reason why you cannot apply for a non-resident license, and at the end of 5 years, renew it as a resident license. Just ensure that any change of address is properly addressed with DPS TX.

Since you asked for advice...Here is mine.
    Since you aren't moving until Summer, apply for a non-resident license in TX as soon as your funds are available. As soon as possible after that, schedule a class. With any luck, your permit will be waiting for you when you move, and you might learn something in the class.

Who is John Galt?

You may also check with DPS for the requirements, but there are provisions for "indigent" status. If you qualify you may get a discount or not have to pay. If you are a veteran and have your DD 214, you also get a significant discount. You might check out the actual TX State website for the requirements. I just renewed and my affidavit said simply: a. are you a resident or b. are you planning on establishing residency?

Here is a recent link. The CHL link is under Online Services. You can obtain most of the forms online and download them. If you apply and pay online your packet arrives within about seven business days.
    TexasOnline

I moved here just over a year ago from Maryland and I had a Florida non resident permit. I used the Florida permit as a secondary ID when I went to get my TX drivers license. The DPS trooper asked me if I was going to get my Texas permit soon. If you have a valid permit from another state, at least one with reciprocity, they waive the six month residency requirement. I did the class and had my permit in hand about four months after moving here. Not a big deal.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    No doubt a TX license is rather expensive if funds are tight, and you indicated they were. It appears that it will cost around $300 to get the CHL in hand.

One has to make a decision as to necessities, and do the trade off.
    But if you are going to carry you must have a CHL. Unless changed lately, TX is not an OC state, and overall is not as gun friendly as some other states. Things have improved relative to car carry. But the TX CHL is among the very best when you get one.

txdrhuntr,
    I cannot find anything regarding Veterans benefits for CHL.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Unless changed lately, TX is not an OC state, and overall is not as gun friendly as some other states. Things have improved relative to car carry. But the TX CHL is among the very best when you get one.

txdrhuntr,
    I cannot find anything regarding Veterans benefits for CHL.

Regards,
    Jerry
    veterans get the fee half off(70.00), and the cheapest class I have seen is $99, but it did not include range fee or ammo(50 rounds). It includes everything else but your application fee. When you leave a class, you should have everything in your package. The only thing left for you to do should be to put a stamp on it, and put it in the mail.

As for the veteran benefit...When you fill out your application, it will ask you what type of 'person' you are...i.e. senior citizen, active military(free), veteran, indegent(sp?), etc.

Tx is not an open handgun carry state(it is an open long gun carry state, but I don't see that excercised as much as I use to), but you can carry a concealed weapon in your vehicle, or going from your home to your vehicle, as long as you aren't committing a crime other than a class c misdemeanor and you are not part of a criminal street gang.

And as far as TX not as gun friendly as some states....well, we're pretty close...we like our guns down here in the good ol' Republic of Texas.

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links