Do you folks know anyone like this?

This is a discussion on Do you folks know anyone like this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think we had a similar topic here long ago but I had this conversation several days ago and the goofiness of it is still ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you folks know anyone like this?

Do you folks know anyone like this?

I think we had a similar topic here long ago but I had this conversation several days ago and the goofiness of it is still setting in.

Do you know anyone who underloads their gun on purpose?

I ask this because I had a conversation with a fellow who keeps the next chamber in his revolvers unloaded. I asked him why and he said it was in case he accidentally pulled the trigger.

That instantly gave me a headache. Honestly...

I don't claim to be some kind of ninja, and I've said 1000 times capacity isn't a big issue with me, but why would anyone purposefully underload a gun?

I've heard that old chesnut that a magazine should always be loaded one less than its capacity. I think there was a time when that was true but probably not any more.

I'll admit that I personally sometimes simply load a magazine and then chamber the first round and don't bother to eject the magazine and replace the chambered round. I normally do this when I have reason to believe I will have to clear it completely. It's just much neater to stuff the one loose round back into the magazine.

But the more I think about it, the more I can recall people telling me similar things. "Oh I only put 5 rounds in it." in reference to a Smith and Wesson 3913 I think it was.

Now look, a gun's capacity is not a big deal to me, but why underuse something? I could get by with a smaller fuel tank on my truck and be perfectly happy, but that doesn't mean I go around with my tank 25% empty all the time. My refridgerator is full of empty space but I don't go to my landlord and demand a smaller one. Even I understand that if the gun is 100% the same in every other respect, more capacity is indeed clearly better.

I hate to tell people what to do when it comes to their personal safety, but if you are carrying an underloaded gun I think you should think about why you do so very critically. Of course that's no one here so I guess I'm just preaching to the choir again.

Okay I'll go to sleep now I promise.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My guess is that this fella does not have proper gun handling techniques and seldom uses his gun. Or maybe he just does not know the 4 Rules.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Ya have to Face it Euc .. Most people are still Scared of Guns and noy confident in themselfs. I would not purposely underload a gun unless it was like you said slap a mag in load then dont top off but that still a lot different then only putting 5 in a 6 shot revolver..

You wont believe how many people still think you should only load 5 in a wheelie becuse something could hit the hammer and it might go off.. The gun Rags said so.

Years ago sure that was true and still is ona really old firearm like a Colt SAA.

But i dont think they have made a hammer mounted firing pin in almost 20 years or more,that design was done away with and i think more than anything it sticks in peoples minds about the load 5 not 6..

Now for mister i might accidently pull the trigger some extra training is for sure in order.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Not sure about the bigger stuff, but my NAA Mini .22 mag has the firing pin mounted on the hammer. Of course it also has a "1/2 cock" position on it that cant be forced or dropped with the trigger. (more like 1/8 cock) If it didn't have that and the hammer rested on the round, I would probably still be doing the same thing you are talking about.

I don't know anyone that underloads their guns, but there's a liberal secretary at work that finally admitted her and her husband have a handgun for protection. BUT it's locked in a cabinet, in a locked box, field stripped Good lock getting it together in time when someone breaks in.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

The only time my Glock doesn't have a round in the chamber is when I'm cleaning it or when I have to wear it mexican/appendix carry. Don't want to shoot my femoral artery or the unit.

+1 to Miggy's reply. Your friend needs to know those rules and get out and practice.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Lead Moderator
    When I had a Colt Trooper (357 wheel gun) I used to carry it with an empty under the hammer. That was a recommendation back in those days. Of course that would have been the chamber that moved away from the firing position as you went for the forst shot.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I've heard of police or security officers who are required to carry revolvers, but are allowed autos as BUGs, only putting 2 rounds in the revolver and actually using the concealed BUG if TSHTF. If they need the better accuracy of the longer barrelled revolver (barricade situation, etc) they can load it up and use it. This also means that a BG who gets their gun has a non-functioning weapon, at least until he pulls the trigger 3-4 times.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

The single action revolver I can definitely understand not loading fully. I know that some modern single actions like some of Ruger's offerings have a transfer bar safety that makes it safe to load all of the chambers, and someone told me some time ago about the ingenious feature the NAA has, but if you had another single action revolver in your collection it might be best to load them all the same way so you don't get confused. I can see that.

What kills me though is that leaving the next chamber empty is just nonsensical in every respect, and what difference does it make if you underload a magazine? If there's one "in the pipe" it's still loaded. If you're so incompetent you're going to hurt yourself (and you'd have to be pretty darn incompetent), it doesn't matter if there's 1 catridge in there or 20.

Always fully loaded, otherwise what's the point?

I always carry fully loaded. If I chamber a round from the mag, I'll top off the mag unless I'm at the range. I'd rather have the gun's max capacity available before a reload. You never know when you'll need that last round.

My father-in-law has a SAA knock-off that isn't safe to carry a round under the hammer, but his other wheelguns are fully loaded. Besides, he doesn't use the SAA for self-defense.

There is one guy at a local gun store I frequent that carries a Glock loaded with 3+1. His reasoning? If I need more than 3 or 4 shots, I probably shouldn't have gotten myself into that situation in the first place! I just shake my head every time I think about it!

I agree that if you need more shots than that you're probably screwed anyway, but that's no reason to deliberately handicap yourself if your gun can do better. If nothing else I carry reloads, etc. because I consider the possibility of standing there with an empty gun after successfully defending myself unenticing.

Yikes, even I have a minimum threshold of 6 with 5 being okay for a BUG.

And I guess part of the reason I'm so indifferent to capacity is that I carry two guns so often.

Dad was a State Trooper on OH and he always carried his Python .357 with an empty chamber under the hammer. Said it was in case the hammer got struck or he dropped it.

Dunno. Must be a wive's tale.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    EUC...

I put 10 in the mags when I'm shooting at the range (as opposed to 12)...

It makes keeping track of my groups a little easier when I'm changing targets in between mags.

If I were to carry, and when it's loaded for HD, I have both 12 rounders ready to go, but stored in the drawer next to the range bag. (college student, too many people in and out of the house for me to feel real safe leaving the pistol loaded, that's all)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Lead Moderator
    Fully loaded here. Even my SA revolvers, but they have the transfer bar safety to prevent accidental drop firing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links