NH Carry and Schools.

This is a discussion on NH Carry and Schools. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in ME, have a permit, waiting on my NH permit (vacationing there in April, hate to have to disarm.) I thought I'd brush up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NH Carry and Schools.

NH Carry and Schools.

I'm in ME, have a permit, waiting on my NH permit (vacationing there in April, hate to have to disarm.) I thought I'd brush up on off-limits places in NH while browsing around.

Here's the thing - while I know everyone touts Utah as being the only place you can carry in schools, I can't find anything anywhere that says you can't in NH. I searched usacarry.com, handgunlaw.us, and NH's own RSAs from their legislative website (and I trained in NH as a paralegal, so I know a thing or two about searching their laws.) I can't find anywhere that says school carry is illegal in NH. Can anyone point me to a verifiable source that says it is?

NB: I am not planning on going into or near a school - I don't think it's a good idea. I rarely go to NH, and even if I did, I have no reason to go to a school. I'm just interested.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

2. Remove Ads

you can legally carry in a school in NH...I thought that the difference with UT is that state law specifically states that school carry is allowed as opposed to not mentioning it but I could very much be wrong there. In general the only places off limits in NH are federal buildings and beyond the secure area of a court house.

as far as i know,schools are off-limits due to federal law and not state law.

as far as state..only place that's off limit by law is federal court houses.(or any place used by them)
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by berettaguy View Post

as far as state..only place that's off limit by law is federal court houses.(or any place used by them)
    This:
    NOTE: The Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act Restricts Carry to Permit Holders
    merely means that you can't carry in a school zone unless you have a permit i believe.

You can carry in schools in NH. The only places not allowed by carry via permit is a courthouse or any federal building. Any posted sign in NH on a private buisness has no particular rule of law binding except for the ability of the said owner to ask you to leave.

I love living here!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

You can't carry in a NH state courthouse, either, unless you obtain permission from the court. Applied even to LE. Some courts have a sign directing an LEO to state if he is there on official or personal business.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I vacationed in NH last Summer and recall going over this very carefully. I do recall finding that Schools were PROHIBITED and making a last-minute call to Sam Cohen, Director of Pro-Gun NH (he's a personal friend) to find out if Colleges were OK or prohibited. Sam confirmed for me that Colleges in NH were OK. [My Wife decided that we should visit the McAuliffe Museum on a college campus.]

I suspect that the section of law is somewhere else other than RSA 159 wrt schools being a prohibited place. Although I remember seeing the info, I don't recall where.

Going to Frequently Asked Questions about NH Gun Laws | Pro-Gun New Hampshire you will find your answer in the FAQ. Joining PGNH ($5 for Charter Membership) would also be a good move! Tell Sam that I sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    I vacationed in NH last Summer and recall going over this very carefully. I do recall finding that Schools were PROHIBITED and making a last-minute call to Sam Cohen, Director of Pro-Gun NH (he's a personal friend) to find out if Colleges were OK or prohibited. Sam confirmed for me that Colleges in NH were OK. [My Wife decided that we should visit the McAuliffe Museum on a college campus.]

I suspect that the section of law is somewhere else other than RSA 159 wrt schools being a prohibited place. Although I remember seeing the info, I don't recall where.

Going to Frequently Asked Questions about NH Gun Laws | Pro-Gun New Hampshire you will find your answer in the FAQ. Joining PGNH ($5 for Charter Membership) would also be a good move! Tell Sam that I sent you.
    I've looked through the RSAs and can find nothing sayign that schools are prohibited. I asked this specific question at my NRA class 2 weeks ago and was told by multiple instructors that school carry in NH was not prohibited. So we have multiple upstanding people saying polar opposites. This is the biggest problem with the laws concerning carry.

At this point, I will continue to carry in a school with my permit concealed until I can find and corroborate legal information specifically requiring that I cease carrying in a school.
    I only go into a school in Derry anyways and I happen to know just about ever officer in town so I'm not extremely worried about it.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by berettaguy View Post

If you look on that particualr page you cite in your post, K-12 carry specifically says "NOTE: The Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act Restricts Carry to Permit Holders"

So, if you have a permit to carry concealed, you can carry in a school if not disallowed by state law. You cannot open carry in a school however under that particualr federal law unless you are LEO performing duty buisness.
    Firefighter/EMT

I'm in ME, have a permit, waiting on my NH permit (vacationing there in April, hate to have to disarm.) I thought I'd brush up on off-limits places in NH while browsing around.
    I am also in Maine (Berwick), as I recall the NH permit only took a week or two (three at most) very fast.

While were on the subject of school carry in the area (if you don't mind), can you carry at schools in Maine? Not that I go around schools much but occasionally there is an event (e.g. the Republican Caucus).

-- Kirk.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by gpsxplr View Post
    While were on the subject of school carry in the area (if you don't mind), can you carry at schools in Maine? Not that I go around schools much but occasionally there is an event (e.g. the Republican Caucus).
    carry at schools in ME is prohibited unfortunately. College campuses are apparently no considered schools.

The uncertainty is caused by the following:

(2) (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm:

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    Pistol & Revolver Licenses in NH are normally issued by the police but in some cases they are still issued by the board of selectmen.

Here is RSA 159:6

The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue......
    Because some permits aren't issued by the police and because the RSA doesn't require a police background check some very cautious people feel that no NH permits are considered an acceptable license under federal law.

My view is that my permit was issued by the local police who ran a background check on me so I'm not concerned about carrying a firearm inside a school zone (which I do every time I take my trash to the dump as to get to the dump I pass within 1000ft of 2 schools).
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Quote Originally Posted by gpsxplr View Post
    I am also in Maine (Berwick), as I recall the NH permit only took a week or two (three at most) very fast.

-- Kirk.
    Yup, raysheen is right, carry is prohibited on public school campuses in Maine - Title 20-A 6552. It is interesting to note that last year they added a sentence: "For purposes of this subsection, public school property includes property of a community college that adopts a policy imposing such a prohibition." Also on the list of no-gos in Maine is courthouses, places that serve alcohol if they have a posted sign, and Baxter State Park. Oh, and the Capital area. Idiots.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I have the mental mindset that schools are off limits (and I don't intend to carry in one anyway, gray area or no it's just asking for trouble) and hadn't heard that NH didn't deny it.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

What makes it so good in UT is that the AG stood up for the permit holders and said that the PUBLIC universities can not ban concealed carry versus just not mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
    Baxter State Park. Oh, and the Capital area. Idiots.
    Hey Black Bear...are these two new? any law references? Not that I don't trust you, I just like to look them up for myself and I couldn't find them for some reason. I didn't see them in the last edition of the carry laws that I got when I renewed my Maine permit. Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links