New Leo Job! Choice of station, TX, or AZ

This is a discussion on New Leo Job! Choice of station, TX, or AZ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got in to the Border Patrol. I leave for the academy in about 5 weeks. I got a 98 on the exam, so ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Leo Job! Choice of station, TX, or AZ

New Leo Job! Choice of station, TX, or AZ

I just got in to the Border Patrol. I leave for the academy in about 5 weeks.
    I got a 98 on the exam, so I get to choose my location anywhere along the border with Mexico.
    California is out. I think I would have to sell half my guns to live there. New Mexico just seems desolate (no offense to its residents).
    So Im choosing from west Texas and Arizona.
    In terms of civillian CCW laws, and genral gun laws what do you all think? And what other opinions do you have on the two locations?

2. Remove Ads

I don't think you should discount New Mexico right off the bat. Las Cruces is a pretty big city pop. 87,000 and growing. It's a lot nicer than El Paso. My step-son went to college there (New Mexico State) and he loved it.

As far as CCW, I know that they have reciprocity w/Colorado so that probably means a whole lot of other states too.

But if you're BP, that would make you a Federal Officer w/carry privileges in the entire country no?

Oh Yeah, Congratulations!
    Last edited by KenInColo; February 28th, 2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Take Arizona. We could use more BPE Agents here. I've talked to a few former agents from south of here that loved it.

There's a few reasons not to pick Texas that have to do with the job, but others can answer better than I can.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Yeah, Ill have national carry privelege, but Id like my girl to be able to carry and Im just more comfortable in a place where I know the good guys are easily armed.

Tig
    Congratts on the exam and for keeping our butts safe(r). Maybe I might be missing the point, but as a LEO, you've got carte blanche when it come to CCW. My vote is for Texas. I dont know of another state which has a better criminal hunting program. Stay the HECK out of California. Lived there for 5 yrs, really nice place. Coudnt get a CCW if my life depended on it. I am retired military (navy submarine). Had my finger on the trigger of a lot of some very sophisiticated attitude adjustment equipment. We dont shoot to kill, but rather to stop / disable. That's the biggest load of dogggy dung I have ever heard. You have my word that when it came time to launch - there was no doubt what the intended outcome was. Got sent to the desert. Lots of fun being shot at. Shooting to disable never crossed my mind once I figured where the rounds we're comming from. Kalifornia just couldnt find me to be responsible enough to hold onto a pistol. Got pissed, packed up shop and headed east. Now, I dont even go to the potty without my shooter.

At any rate - keep your butt safe. When Paco, Taco and Laco come sneeking across the .... (open field?) it's good to know that we've got you folks. This is why I would NEVER be elected govener, but if I was, someone breaking into our country should have to face the same outcome as someone breaking into our home, as I fail to see what the difference is

Reaally New Mexico is a nice place and our CC laws are great.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    AZ or texas my good friend, and congrats and thank you; they don't let just anyone into the BP. AZ has very gunfriendly laws, but so does texas. TBH, it doesn't matter where you go you will see plenty of action and make a huge difference.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Come on over to Texas. Friendly people, lots of fishing, lots of guns, lots of bullets, and lots of crime for the LEOs.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

If it came down to Texas I'd pick that one UNLESS it was El Paso. I'd pick anywhere(except CA) over El Paso. We should have given that one back...
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Thanks for all the kind words. I had to do a bit of thinking before I took the job.
    Im a pretty liberal guy, and I have a degree of sympathy for anyone from a place so bad that they would go through what these people go through to get here.
    However, we are a nation of laws, and we have a system for getting in. This needs to be observed because we have to know what were getting. Sure, do I believe the majority of these guys jumping the border are just looking to escape poverty and make a few bucks, yeah. Do I think thats any excuse to overrun the laws of a soveriegn nation? No. Improve your own country, or come into mine the right way.

The biggest part of what Im doing involves the people who are coming in for the wrong reasons. Drug cartels, gangsters, and god knows who else are pouring over as well. If you think youre bring that kind of crap through my space youre dead wrong. Further, if I say "Hola!" and you say "Salaam!" you're going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Mighty desolate areas in both. I know AZ. Nogales sucks, but Tucson's just over an hour north. Yuma isn't bad, plenty of civilization there, but is often sets the nation's high temperatures. Nothing else along the whole border. Arizona is the busiest of all the sectors.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

West Texas, NM or AZ? They will all have lots of sand, cactus, and rattlesnakes, so take your pick. Actually, I love that type enviroment, and I think all three are very pro-gun for your GF, I know that Texas is. NM will be a little closer to the mountians in the North and in Colorado for somegreat winter skiing. Bu tif you chose Texas we would love to have you here too. Wherever, be save and live in Yellow.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Come on over to Tucson. Fly around in some of our CBP helicopters. Easier to see the crossers.

Google Border Patrol shooting in Texas...Those two guys are still in jail for shooting a drug smuggler that ended up getting caught about 3 months later with more drugs than he had the first time he got shot. That Border Patrol case is the only time that Texas gun laws have disapointed me.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    I have soft spots for Texas (U. S. Army) and New Mexico (Philmont Scout Ranch), but neither are near the border; and I know nothing personally of Arizona (not Arizona's fault, certainly). Good luck with whatever you choose, and thank you for your impending public safety service!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links