Restaurant carry (for those who can or may by law)

This is a discussion on Restaurant carry (for those who can or may by law) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've started a series of posts/polls, to help me determine what I do, or what I may need to do differently. I like buffet restaurants. ...

View Poll Results: How I will carry in a restaurant---I'm particular as to my seating arrangements

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll pick the booth, and face the entry

82 56.16%
  • I'll chose a table in the middle of the floor, but face the entry

4 2.74%
  • I'm not particular, and the waiter/waitress can seat me and family however they would like

44 30.14%
  • I'll never take an open table in the middle of the floor where I'll be in the open

16 10.96%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I've started a series of posts/polls, to help me determine what I do, or what I may need to do differently. I like buffet restaurants. Me and the wife like buffet. My questions are based on my own experiences and perceptions. I'll say a bit before the poll-------I carry in restaurants. Because I do, I always (when possible) take a booth on an outside wall, place myself to face the main entry into the room or establishment, will sit next to the aisle, strong side outward.

I voted as "I'm not particular, and the waiter/waitress can seat me and family however they would like" however I always choose to face the door so I can see what's going on.

I figure asking the hostess for a 'seat where I can watch the door and not be in the open' might draw some unwanted attention. That said, when I am with my wife, she likes booths, and I usually sit so I can see most of the people...but that's just in case there are some cute girls around...j/k
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I prefer a table BY the door. BG's usually make a quick entrance into the middle of the room. This gives me the opportunity to get the hell out or at least the advantage of facing their backs. I'm the opposite, I want my gun to the inside of the table or booth so I can access it more discretely.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I voted the first one on the list. That is when I seat myself. I usually pick a out of the way table and face the door. If I'm seated, I usually go for a seat facing the door

It varies. In my favorite Chili place I sit against the wall. My back is to a window which sounds bad. But, there are two entrances and the front entrance is directly to my right where I can see it easily and I am facing the rear entrance which is also way to the right.

Other restaurants, other arrangements.

I guess I am an oddball because I dont want my firearm on the outside, I like it nice and secure on the inside of the booth, 2 reasons, 1st less likely to get spotted, 2 if I have to draw I can do it less conspicuously, I dont really care where I get sat, But where ever it is My choice on the table is more important, again something where I dont have to worry about a waiter/waitress bumping into my firearm. As far as watching the door, or needing to see the entrance, no thank you, not for me. If something bad is going to happen I would rather be close to the rear of the restaruant/kitchen/fireescape, the front door may be where you are most likely to see a threat first, but I dont think that is really true, in the time it takes someone to cover the 10-25 ft past the entrance you could still be looking at your plate of food, the noise is going to alert you before your eyes will, or at least thats my thoughts on the matter.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm kind of VIP at virtually the only restaurant that I go. When there in a group I sit in a booth next to the wall, facing the kitchen (away from the entrance). When solo, I face the entry in that same booth, but I prefer a chair in the middle of the restaurant. I always seat myself there though.

They have lots of tequila and XX there, so I can't lawfully carry [yet] there. I don't know if that means that the OP didn't ask my opinion or not.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

IMO .......it's faster to draw from a chair rather than a booth seat . I personally always ask for a table and sit with my weak side towards the door .

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I picked a booth and face the entry but actually I choose to sit where I can see the majority of the crowd as well as the kitchen. I have investigated many robberies that the bad guys enter thru the back door of the restaurant. The cooks and dishwashers get hot and will prop the rear door open or they are taking out trash and BG's will enter from the rear. If I feel out gunned or need to move my family out of the way....I have no problem with shooting out a window so they can exit ASAP.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I prefer to sit with my back to the wall and my carry piece on the inside away from the waitress. Actually favor a booth over a table because my hands and gun are less visible to others.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    I like to sit in booths, but I want my strong side in, so that way I can see the whole room and draw descretly if need be....
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Senior Moderator
    If I go to a resturant it is with my wife and son. We sit wherever we can put a high chair at.

Last time we ate out was in Oct
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I have no problem with shooting out a window so they can exit ASAP.
    I would have to be very sure of what was outside before I shot out a window...and I believe most of the windows in restaurants are built to not shatter...so you would most likely have a small hole in a window, a bullet that went somewhere, and a lot of attention drawn to you from the BG's.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    My wife understands that as an ex-cop I aways like to face the door. That is the controlling issue. Which side my weapon is on doesn't matter. I just want to make sure I am facing the right direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links