Carry transitions-or stick with what I got for the weather?

This is a discussion on Carry transitions-or stick with what I got for the weather? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here it is---the next poll. For those who carry exclusively IWB, it's a no-brainer. For some of us who alternate IWB, and OWB, and depend ...

View Poll Results: Carry methods depending on weather

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • I carry IWB and do so no matter what the weather-no worries here

71 59.66%
  • I'll carry OWB in the colder months as I conceal with outerwear

6 5.04%
  • I carry OWB, and if the weather gets too warm, I'll abandon it

0 0%
  • I'll carry accordingly to the weather at the moment, and can transition to an alternative method when necessary

42 35.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry transitions-or stick with what I got for the weather?

Carry transitions-or stick with what I got for the weather?

Here it is---the next poll. For those who carry exclusively IWB, it's a no-brainer. For some of us who alternate IWB, and OWB, and depend on the government paid weatherman---we may start out the day according to those predictions, and then be sorry later on in the day. Say today for instance--31 at 7am, and the high for today was going to be 53 and the wind was gusty. Setting out with OWB gear and the jacket, and hence a couple things took longer than they should---I got kind of warm but stuck with it although I may have looked out of place. So---for those of you who determine IWB or OWB according to weather conditions-----are you able to transition--or do you just pick your forte first thing, and live with it the rest of the day?

2. Remove Ads

IWB 1911 year round. Tried OWB for a while, but find it easier to stick with one method. If we can do it in the Arizona summers, anyone can!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

We've been seeing spring and winter each week for the past month around here. I'm used to it getting cold and staying that way for a while. OWB is more to my liking, but I've been doing more IWB carry this winter because of the weather. I'm ready to do everything for summer carry though. And I just took care of the P220 possibility---ordered my Minotaur M-Tac tonight with a spare body for my Glocks!

I'm 99% IWB but I have carried OWB under a light jacket on rare occasions.

You missed one option.
    I carry OWB no matter what the weather or temp is.

That's me. I do not like IWB carry. I find it too uncomfortable no matter what. I carry OWB year round. As I sit here in my computer shair, I have my G23 on my right hip, OWB in a Blackhawk CQB SERPA holster.

I do not alter the manner or location or equipment that I carry because of weather or season.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

So then you all have open carry? Or might you enlighten us with your modus operandi? I sort of wish we had open carry here, but then again---I start to thinking...................

IWB all the time. Never tried any other method. This works just fine for me.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I carry IWB all the time.

But I am now wondering, did you just get a job at Gallop?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I prefer OWB, but only carry that way if its jacket or coat weather. Most of the time I end up carrying IWB.

Living in Las Vegas I carry IWB most of the times. But depending on requirements ie. weather, dress requirements, level of concealment requirement, driving long periods of time etc. I then select the appropriate CC method. For instance OWB, Shoulder Rig, undercover compression T-Shirt holster, Belly Band, nylon fanny pack, (crotch doo hicky holster-the one you can wear with sweat pants) plus I also intend to get the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster by Gunner Security and perhaps a Conceal Carry Jacket and/or vest. I figure the more choices the better as long as safety, functionality and adequate access speed are not compromised. That being said however the vast majority of the time it's IWB.
    Last edited by mojave_pistolero; February 29th, 2008 at 04:21 AM. Reason: typo
    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - General George Patton Jr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

IBW, granted i can open carry, but some of my friends are anti-s
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

IWB year-round.

Wow, no option to carry OWB year round without regard to the weather.

i voted
    I'll carry accordingly to the weather at the moment, and can transition to an alternative method when necessary
    though i'll more then likely be carrying OWB more often.i used to carry IWB during short an t-shirt weather.
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

Senior Moderator
    I switch back and forth between OWB and IWB almost daily, sometimes twice in one day and it has very little to do with the weather and everything to do with what I'm wearing, whether it will conceal my holster and how deeply I need to conceal and what I'm doing.

For instance if I'm just going to be going out to tea with a few gal friends and have a sweater that will easily conceal my OWB as long as I'm not twisting, turning, reaching, then there's no reason not to carry OWB.

However, if I'm wearing something a little more "form fitting" and need to conceal a little better and my cover garment won't cover my entire OWB then I'll switch to IWB.

Weather rarely plays a factor in my holster selection. Sure, if it's freezing outside and I'm going to be wearing a jacket or coat all day I'll put on my OWB because I'm wearing something that will conceal it well and I ALWAYS prefer OWB to IWB for comfort and ease of carry.

Yesterday, for instance, I wore IWB the first part of the day because I was doing a lot more physical stuff and needed to conceal a little better to make sure I didn't give anyone the accidental glimpse of my gun/holster, but in the evening I went out with the gals and we just sat around on couches drinking coffee and tea. I switched to my OWB for the rest of the night. No biggy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links