Almost a BAD shoot

Almost a BAD shoot

This is a discussion on Almost a BAD shoot within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods fell free to move this if it should go else where. Yesterday was the wedding of 2 of my very close friends, I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost a BAD shoot

me [OP]

Almost a BAD shoot

Mods fell free to move this if it should go else where.

Yesterday was the wedding of 2 of my very close friends, I was one of the groomsmen and have spent most of the last few days with the groom. So Thursday the 28th was the rehearsal followed by his bachelor party (if one could call it that). A large number of the group, groom included, are either pastors (me) or are studying to become pastors so going to a strip club was something none of us had wanted to do, specifically the groom.

We went to the grooms house and shared in a fun time with friends and some alcohol. Since I was drinking, which I normally do not do (at least with these guys), I had disarmed and placed my firearms where they were safe and unloaded.

Well about half way through my first screw driver there was a knock at the door, people were coming and going so nobody thought anything of it until in comes a large guy holding what looks to be a stainless steel beretta and wearing a ski mask. I was out of his line of sight retrieved my 40 and seated a mag. At this point as I went to rack the slide this guy starts yelling "Stop! Stop! Stop!" he lowered his gun and pulled his mask off at which time the groom recognized him as a friend.

This stupid friend thought that with a little force and intimidation (air soft gun with out an orange tip and ski mask) he could take the groom away to a strip club because thats what he wanted the groom to do. He apparently ended up on the wrong side of the intimidation spectrum without my intent ever being to intimidate.

By the grace of God I was drinking otherwise this guy may have found himself in a body bag not a strip club alone that night. This would have been a fully justified shoot since he entered the house with an aggressive manor and with what appeared to be a real fire arm. But never the less it would have been a very bad and devastating shoot for everyone there.

How stupid can people get
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

In 1971, while I was in college, I answered the door fairly late at night to find a guy dressed in black, from his boots to his ski mask, holding a revolver. He fired twice and ran away. Turned out to be a friend with a blank gun pulling a prank. If he did that today, he'd be injured or dead.

Wow, that could have ended bad! Stupid move on masked guy's part, good reaction on your part, both to prepare to fire, and then not to fire.

I can see why you felt the threat was real. Had it been real, you shooting quickly would have given the best odds of you and your friends' survival, IMO.

I hope dumb friend learned a lesson.

VIP Member
    That just shows that someone doing something they consider to be harmless fun can lead to huge life changing events for them, and those around them. You have to think before you do anything.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

wow. can't really think of much else to say. like you said... thank god you chose to drink that night!!!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I hope that guy realizes how close he came to dying over a stupid joke. At least he had the sense to drop the act before it was too late. Good job on your part.

The groom will definitely have a story to tell about his bachelor party now.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Well this couldn't have happened at my bachelor party. As my best man lined up a couple of strippers to come to the party..... Damn I sure do wish I could remember that night. I'll never forget the hangover...... Lasted for 2 days... Thank God your situation defused pretty quickly.
    CW

I remember a bachelor party where a stripper came to the door with a gun and mask...Mmmmm, I THINK she had a gun...

...back to the thread...

Pretty stupid prank on the part of the friend...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    OH MAN!! That's a scarey situation. Some people think nothing of pulling a prank on someone. Coming up behind someone and scaring them, jump out of a dark place and yelling boo.
    I watch some of these pranks people pull on funniest home videos and think, "If that were me it was happeing to, someone might get shot."
    That guy really takes the cake. I'm sure he changed his tune real quick when he heard that slide rack. Glad it all worked out.

HKR
    And the Darwin Award goes to...............................

VIP Member
    Oh man... that was TOO close!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    That was was to close.......I was actually running late one afternoon and saw the exact same gun laying in the middle of the road. It was dusky dark I pick this Beretta look alike up......it does look real. That stooge should be really thankful that you had unarmed yourself.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

If he knew you carried, doubly stupid, if he didn't, then I am sorry you got outed so publicly. Good job being responsible with the alcohol.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

WHEW!!!! close,thinning of the herd

Unfortunately there are some very uninformed unaware, fill in you favorite adjective here for being clueless, people out there but I am still amazed every time I read something like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links