Got made today by a lot of people...

This is a discussion on Got made today by a lot of people... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was on a spiritual retreat many years ago. Its a semi annual event, and once you go on the retreat, you are sometimes asked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got made today by a lot of people...

I was on a spiritual retreat many years ago. Its a semi annual event, and once you go on the retreat, you are sometimes asked to come a work on following retreats, cleaning, cooking, etc. I agreed to help out.

Today we had an organizational meeting, where everyone that is going to work on the retreat gets together to plan things out, work on the schedule, and things like that. When I woke up, I got dress as normal, slipping my Sig into position at 4:00 and threw on a cover shirt and headed for the meeting.

Not having been involve very recently, I had forgotten about how much people like to hug each other. Some of these folks I haven't seen in years. I didn't think anything of it at first, until a pastor came up and slapped my back in a greeting, and then ran his hand up and down my back, in kind of "Thanks for coming to help out" and his hand bumped my gun.

I immediately turned and got back to work, but looked back at him, and he just smiled and nodded.

I thought to myself, "Okay, don't let that happen again." I remembered reading on this forum about hugging low. Getting your arms underneath theirs, pretty much forcing them to keep their hugs at shoulder level. The worked for a bit, until the director of the retreat came up and hugged me before I could react.

He is an LEO from a neighboring community, and his hand ran into the grip too. He released his hug, put his hand on my shoulder, smiled, nodded, and walked on to greet some more people.

At this point I was considering running out to my vehicle and locking up my gun, but then my parents showed up. I had forgotten that they agreed to work as well. They live about three hours away, and when they showed up, my mother walked right up to me, hugged me, and felt my gun. She knows I carry, but she isn't a "gun person" and I got a look of "Why did you bring that to a meeting of a bunch of Christians?"

We had a nice chat later where I explained (again) why I carry everywhere I go.

It was really an interesting day, and a day that made think I may need to invest in a smart carry or belly band before the next meeting.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Come on. No one would ever think of shooting up a church. What are you thinking?

If you do wear a SmartCarry and get made because of hugs, I would reevaluate a lot of things.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

The way I see it you have a very good group of people you're involved with. They knew and just smiled and nodded, awesome. I'm hoping to find a few folks that see CCWers the way you people do. And ExactlyMyPoint has a great idea with the smart carry I have 1 ordered and should be here anyday to try. Good Luck and Stay Safe.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    If you do wear a SmartCarry and get made because of hugs, I would reevaluate a lot of things.
    Especially at a church retreat.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

foreveryoung,

You know how them 'de Colores' folks are.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    I hate when that happens. A Smartcarry works well for this if you have a small gun to carry. I prefer to use a Galco deep concealment shoulder harness for dressing up . I put my sunglasses in my top pocket so they feel that instead of my gun when getting hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    foreveryoung,

You know how them 'de Colores' folks are.
    You got it.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post

My wife just yelled at me because I was laughing so hard.

Remember you need to be the LOW hugger and everything will be fine!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Since I have the Senior pastor's okay to carry at church, I've pretty much given up worrying about people finding out... darn huggers!

Now we're putting together a Church Security Team.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Good story, I'm glad so many people you are involved in are accepting of your carry. Actually it may make them feel better in today's world, especially in light of the church shootings.

My son works in a medical environment where he could get hugged unexpectantly daily from patients, their family, nurses, etc. He's waiting on his permit now, I'm guessing he'll need to pocket carry at work. There are too many opportunities there from surprise hugs.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    At this point I was considering running out to my vehicle and locking up my gun, but then my parents showed up. I had forgotten that they agreed to work as well. They live about three hours away, and when they showed up, my mother walked right up to me, hugged me, and felt my gun. She knows I carry, but she isn't a "gun person" and I got a look of "Why did you bring that to a meeting of a bunch of Christians?"
    Three words, mom: New Life Church

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

AMH
    I belong to a spiritual fellowship here in town. I am new to the fellowship and some of the old timers have taken me under their wings.

The fellowship attracts a wide variety of people from various walks of life. This includes doctors, policemen, businessmen, factory workers, the homeless, and even many convicted felons (of which I am not one, I have a clean record and a Department of Defense security clearance to prove it) who have turned their life’s around. Even though they are on the straight and narrow they still can’t carry due to their past. The fellowship is completely neutral to guns and officially refuses to comment or take a stance on the subject one way or another.

I always carry when with the fellowship and have not told a soul. A few people there are real big on hugs, and I make it a point to be the “low hugger”. A few times various people have put their arms around my waist or have affectionately patted by waist. This contact is strictly plutonic, but several people have directly touched by weapon. I weigh about 150lbs and carry a Springfield XD .45acp compact. It doesn’t print, but it is darn obvious what I am wearing when inadvertently touched.

Nobody has said a thing to me, not even a funny look. I hope it stays this way, and in the mean time I will continue to try to minimize this from happening again in the future.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Pocket carry will help.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I have a legal right to self defense, I employ that right everyday. If someone does want me in their church or business because I carry I would just leave. But it sounds to me that these folks have no problem with your choice, so why worry about it.
    Jack dog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links