''He said - she said" - Page 4

''He said - she said"

This is a discussion on ''He said - she said" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gunthorp …My take is that if he (or Tom C) had been carring open, the BG's first move would have been a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp
    …My take is that if he (or Tom C) had been carring open, the BG's first move would have been a disarm. If an opportunity or an opening hasn't presented by the time you feel very, very uncomfortable, you must make it yourself.

So close to being a member I can taste it
    You guys are pushing my buttons this week. And this is more a Friday afternoon, I’m tired and want to go shooting rant more than anything else and not directed toward gunthorp at all.

The alley scene in "Collateral" (I bought the DVD) was a choreographed scene. In the scene, if you watch carefully you will notice a couple of things. First, only two of the four BGs remain, where'd the other two go? Second, it is more than clear that the 2nd BG is fumbling while "Vincent" is shooting the first guy. Thirdly, everybody is standing still; nobody moves from the spot they were in when the shooting began.

Then I question that we could call the way Vincent shot the first BG was point shooting. No, I'm not saying he used his sights, but I know of four schools of thought and principles of point shooting and "Vincent" used none of them. All forms of point shooting that I am familiar with rely on specific things, for example one promotes a crouched, one-hand, target-focused, position with a disciplined method of raising the gun onto the target. The other three have their own disciplines but they all teach eye level indexing of the gun. They all claim effectiveness out to 15 yards and some even more. There is no way Vincent could hit something 15 yards away from the retention position he shot the first BG from.

It’s certainly reasonable to accept that there are numerous forms of point shooting, but most of us seem to tag any kind of shooting that doesn’t involve the sights as point shooting. But by definitions of point shooting principles that are widely taught, that is much too broad of a definition.

For example, if I'm on the ground in a struggle and I push my gun into the guy and fire, is that point shooting? I say no, that’s shove n’ shoot. Most also think shooting from the hip, like the speed rock, and various other retention positions is point shooting. I say it is hip shooting and the most inaccurate kind of shooting there is. I got into a discussion with a guy one time that claimed he point shoots up close. Then he got into a heated debate with some point shooters that were claiming they could point shoot accurately up to 15 yards. He finally realized what he called point shooting (actually retention shooting), and what they called point shooting was two different things. He meant that at arms length that he shot from a retention position with the gun almost chest high, tight in, but canted away from the chest. They meant the gun up at eye level with arm(s) and gun extended, with their eyes focused on the target instead of the sights.

Well, thanks for enduring a pointless rant on Friday afternoon; I feel some better now so I'm going shooting.

Assistant Administrator
    Hehe Ron - that was a TGIF smoke blow LOL!

Pushing buttons!?

What - this one ...................

Enjoy some shooting - I hope to do IDPA tomorrow.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    point well taken
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Hehe Ron - that was a TGIF smoke blow LOL!

Pushing buttons!?

What - this one ...................

Enjoy some shooting - I hope to do IDPA tomorrow.
    Well, I hope that button doesn't cause too much response on my part.

Shootin' was fun. Only did 100 rounds though; my wife went to visit our mom for the weekend and had to leave Tangle (the dog, not me) in the house because of storm conditions and I had to get home to let her out.

Hope the IDPA is fun! Do you can you use your CTs in IDPA? I doubt you can, but you should be able to. It's a viable and common carry option.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp
    point well taken
    I'm not so sure that was a point post.

Us old guys kinda "go off" ever now and then. I think people expect that???

Assistant Administrator
    Do you can you use your CTs in IDPA? I doubt you can, but you should be able to. It's a viable and common carry option.
    Ron - today's shoot is the night shoot - starting 8pm!

To have my scores count in the compo - no CT's, darn it. I might tho just scrub my scores re competition and go with the CT's to get some good practice in - more valuable to me than just the placing on the record sheet!
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Ron - today's shoot is the night shoot - starting 8pm!

To have my scores count in the compo - no CT's, darn it. I might tho just scrub my scores re competition and go with the CT's to get some good practice in - more valuable to me than just the placing on the record sheet!
    I hear ya! I'd like to encourage you to use them. I fully expect to hear that your score goes up dramatically. Even if the score doesn't count officially, it would in real life. Which score is more important?

Assistant Administrator
    Hehe Ron - see my reply to your other post on these.

I might even compromize - there that'll cover it . I'll maybe shoot three stages with and two without!
    Chris - P95

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links