CCW When Getting Home

CCW When Getting Home

This is a discussion on CCW When Getting Home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm currently using my wife's Bersa T380 in a Desanti Pocket Holster in my leather coat as my CCW for the time being till I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW When Getting Home

CCW When Getting Home

I'm currently using my wife's Bersa T380 in a Desanti Pocket Holster in my leather coat as my CCW for the time being till I pick up my XD9sc. The whole "in the coat" concealment works quite well, as I'm still new to carrying and still getting a "feel" for it.

I plan on using a OWB concealment holster for the XD, or a IWB when I drop a few more pounds, but I'm having some trouble deciding what to do with the pocket holster set-up when I come home for the day.

Leave it in the coat? (not a very safe practice)
    Take it out? - then where to put it?

I have 2 boys (15 & 11) who've been sucessfully "de-wow'd" to the concept of dad carrying and guns in general, so I'm not overly concerned & I trust them - they know the rules about guns - I'm not fully comfortable with just setting the thing on top of the fridge or out in the open, visable to others who might happen to see it. (seen that done)
    I have been securing it in the master bedroom back in the handgun safe then getting it again if I go out, or just putting it into my jeans pocket when home, till I go to bed then it's in the nightstand.

So how do the rest of you address this?

1. Manage to carry it with you at all times till bedtime?
    2. If you do "set-it-somewhere" where? how? what works?

Just curious

Thanks
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

I'll carry IWB or OWB depending. I've carried all day long before at home. If it's not on me, it's next to me-in holster or out. I've made this a habit. The family is used to it, and the only remarks I get on occasion are "which one is that one"? (Baby Glock, medium Glock, or Daddy Glock) The SIG demands it's own respect and is well known as it's two-tone. My prescribed pistol for the day is an extension of myself. Never without it.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Personally, I feel that if I am going to need my gun, it will most likely be at home. My 1911 comes off my belt when I get into bed.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Its with my IWB at about 4 o'clock, from the time I wake up until I go to bed, and then it sleeps next to me on the night stand. And if I happen to fall asleep watching TV... we might spend the whole night together... (don't tell my wife)
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Never in the house without a weapon within a foot or two away, or on my person...
    No kids around so the safe is left open for easy access to other 'choices'...
    My wife never says a word about a gun on the coffee table, or IWB...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One could do the smart carry thing around the house. I've recently (just this weekend) taken to clipping my new keltec .380 iwb my shorts/pjs with the belt clip. So light it doesn't drag my shorts down, although it
    ll probably get real linty pretty quick like this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I carry a P3AT 380 or Glock 26 both in a nemesis pocket holster and I keep them in a drawer in my home/office.

Home security starts at your property line, therefore, there should never ever be a surprise intruder That said, my home defense guns G19 and G17 ones in the nigh stand, and other one is over the sink in the kitchen.

If I had kids I was worried about, I would unload all guns and put them in the safe, and only keep the G26 loaded. When I got home, I would remove the bullet from the chamber.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I carry all Day Home or away.

I generally carry IWB during the day and then switch to a smaller BUG and pocket carry at home.

I keep both weapons in a "finger combo" pistol safe in my dresser.

To me, it sounds like the best option for you would be to simply switch to pocket carry in your jeans/pants while you're at home. My .02 worth......

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    To me, it sounds like the best option for you would be to simply switch to pocket carry in your jeans/pants while you're at home. My .02 worth......
    That is the way I prefer at this point. WHen I get the XD though I'll probably go first with an OWB, then an IWB. (gotta get the belly off first)
    Sounds to me like the general consensus is always having it close, either on the body or within reach, and whichever one chooses - get comfortable with it.

Makes sense to me
    Thanks all.
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Like previous posters in this thread, I carry all the time and keep it near when I sleep or shower. If someone kicks in my door, the police are too far away to help, and neither would my pistol help if it were out of reach.

At home I either leave it in my smart carry, or switch to the factory OWB clip that comes factory with the XD.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I think it's a bit over the top to feel you have to have it on you all the time even at home. Mine is always withing reach when home, but seldom on me!

In fact it's a lot quicker to grab it ofe a TV tray or desktop than from a holster when seated.

For one thing, leather holster care requires that they be allowed to "breathe" so I let 'em breathe a bit more when it's not strapped to me!

When I arrive home, I change from my holster and mag carrier to a Bandera Beltser. It changes the "point" where my rig has been all day and is more comfortable if I decide to set the pistol on the end table and stretch out on the couch.
    Dave

How about, leave it in your pocket. I carry IWB even while at home. It comes off when I go to bed. That way I know it is always in a safe as well as easily accessible place.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links