ohio state expo center

ohio state expo center

This is a discussion on ohio state expo center within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wondering about carrying on the fairgrounds. Not during the fair but during the beef expo and the turkey expo. Events are on the fairgrounds the ...

Thread: ohio state expo center

Member Array carry for protection's Avatar

ohio state expo center

Wondering about carrying on the fairgrounds. Not during the fair but during the beef expo and the turkey expo. Events are on the fairgrounds the same weekend. No alcohol is served at the beef expo but I think there is in the turkey expo building. I'll be spending most of my time outside the buildings tending to the livestock. Are the fairgrounds posted, are the buildings posted, will I have to disarm before entering the turkey expo half of the grounds due to the alcohol being served? Columbus scares me about like Canton does.
    Thanks for the info folks.

You can not carry at the the Ohio STATE fairgrounds. It is owned by the state, making it a governmental property. Even if you never went inside a building while at the beef expo, (but I would think you would be in the livestock barns) will you need to use the restroom at any time while there? If so, you are entering a building. Violation of the law. The fairgrounds are posted at the street. Do they search your car? NO!

Come say Hi at the Deer & Turkey expo. Buckeye Firearms will have booth #637 there (near the food court).
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    You can not carry at the the Ohio STATE fairgrounds. It is owned by the state, making it a governmental property……..The fairgrounds are posted at the street.
    Linda – I have to disagree with part of your statement here.

Yes you can legally carry at the Ohio State Fairgrounds. It is totally legal to carry there as long as you do not enter the buildings.

Below are pictures I took at the fairgrounds during the State Fair. Please note that there are 2 different types of signage used at the fairgrounds. Most people are not aware of the 2 different types of signs. They just see the crossed out gun on the signs and don’t actually read the accompanying text.

Parking lot entrance and pedestrian ticket booths

Close up of sign shown at ticket booths above. Please note the wording “in any building on these premises”.

Metal detector at gate manned by State Patrol Troopers. When passing through the detector, it sounded of coarse because I was carrying both my primary and a BUG. The officer then asked if I was carrying any type of weapon etc. and I told him I was licensed and packing. Some times the officer would ask to see the license, other times they would not. They would then give me permission to proceed onto the fairgrounds.

Once you are on the fairgrounds, you will see the following (different) sign posted on buildings. Note that it reads “anywhere on these premises” (meaning this building). You can stand in front of this sign and be legal, but walk inside the building and you just became a felon.

I attended the State Fair on 8 different days and each time I was carrying. Each time after passing through the metal detector, and informing the officer of my carry status, they told me to have a nice day. They don't give a hoot about regular people carrying there......their mission is just to keep the armed gang-bangers out.

Your statement about not being able to enter a building or using a rest room is absolutely correct. You cannot enter a building if you are carrying, regardless of if it is individually posted or not. I just happen to have a very forgiving bladder I guess. Be on the lookout for the big porta-potty trailers they have there for some events. They are vehicles, not buildings.

If your do need to enter a building and your car is parked on the fairgrounds property, you can legally stow your gun in the car.

I have visited approximately 40 different fairgrounds in the state of Ohio in the past 3 years. I think the only one I have visited that has the proper signage reflecting current law is the Ohio State Fairgrounds.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

What about the "Unless otherwise authorized by law" part? That's what always got me. Doesn't my CCL make me "authorized" by law? It isn't like one of the yellow and black signs with the actual ordinance number on it that states something like "Unless you are a law enforcement officer on official business".

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post
    What about the "Unless otherwise authorized by law" part? That's what always got me. Doesn't my CCL make me "authorized" by law? It isn't like one of the yellow and black signs with the actual ordinance number on it that states something like "Unless you are a law enforcement officer on official business".
    No, you are not authorized.

You really need to read and understand what the ORC says if you are going to carry or pass information on to others as fact.

And no, carrying into a posted building will not make you a felon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No, you are not authorized.

You really need to read and understand what the ORC says if you are going to carry or pass information on to others as fact.

And no, carrying into a posted building will not make you a felon.
    Thank you for your reply. However, I was not passing information on to others as fact. I was merely asking questions. It is more confusing, at least in Ohio, because I have seen two different types of signs: The white and black one with the red circle and slash and then the yellow and black one with the image of the pistol and the ORC number.

Administrator
    sorry ccwguy, I wasnt aiming those comments towards you, I didnt make my post very clear.
    "Just blame Sixto"

sorry ccwguy, I wasnt aiming those comments towards you, I didnt make my post very clear.
    Not a problem. Mine may have been confusing as well. My intent was to show that I have seen two different signs in Ohio.

Where I live, the yellow and the black sign with the image of the pistol and the ORC number is posted at the liquor establishments, government buildings, schools, etc. The white and black one with the red circle and slash is used for private businesses.

Regarding the ORC and Concealed Carry into posted private businesses, ORC 2923.126 section (3) states, "...A person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree."

SIXTO – PM sent.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Administrator
    I saw the PM, read it... and you are correct for the most part, my post was backing yours up. Again, my fault for not being clear. The important part of the ORC is in the details... ya gotta read and understand the details.
    With that, I'm done here as I wont give legal advice... I do suggest that all posters here read and understand the entire ORC including the administrative and penalty sections before they parrot advice given to them by unknown parties.

Keep in mind that people want to twist the law into what they think it should say or they like to pick and choose bits and pieces that they do understand and pass it along as if they understand it in full. CCW instructors are famous for this, I've yet to find one that is truly an expert on Ohio law.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Member Array carry for protection's Avatar

Keep in mind that people want to twist the law into what they think it should say or they like to pick and choose bits and pieces that they do understand and pass it along as if they understand it in full. CCW instructors are famous for this, I've yet to find one that is truly an expert on Ohio law.
    My instructor is LEO and couldn't answer some of my questions.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by carry for protection View Post
    My instructor is LEO and couldn't answer some of my questions.
    A lot of them are. LEO status doesnt make own a know it all, I know judges and lawyers who need some schooling on the ORC. A person must take an interest and really study the thing to be knowledgable.
    I do, (I'm nerdy that way) and attend monthly legal updates as well as study on my own... I still dont know everything there is to know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

John, Thanks for posting those signs. Generally when going thru the toll booth, you don't get time enough to read the actual lanquage on it. Thanks for clearing that up and actually taking the time to take pictures, etc.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Linda
    You are very welcome.

carry for protection
    That was certainly great advice that SIXTO just gave you. Unfortunately there are a few people around in this world who suffer from the affliction of being legends in their own minds, who hand out garbled and flawed information to the masses under the pretense of being an expert. Many times their offerings confuse some people more than they were to begin with. Fortunately we have places & people like this to sort it all out.
    John -

Sponsored Links