Defensive Carry banner

New York State CCW

13K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  JonInNY 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I'm hoping some of the New York residents may be able to answer some of my questions. There is a chance I may be relocating to the White Plains area, which I think is in Westchester county. I currently have a CCW license with the state of Pennsylvania. From the info I could find on the web, it is up to the county judge to decide on whether a CCW license is issued. How difficult is it to obtain a CCW in the white plains, NY area? Is it a situtation where you have to personnaly know someone, or as long as my record is fine, will I be issued one?
Also, is the registration of firearms determined by the state or the county? Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
Pete

#3 ·
Coyne Park Range: Pistol and Rifle Shooting - Home Page

This is a link to a Westchester Range, run by the City of Yonkers Parks Dept. It's a 50 ft pistol range in Yonkers, on McLean Ave., just off the Major Deegan, aka, NYS Thruway. The guys there will probably give you more info since they deal with Westchester Licenses all the time.

NYS has two types of permits, Carry and Premise. Judges and/or PD (Sheriffs) in the different counties issue permits. As far as I understand it, NYS Troopers recognize Carry Permits as Right to Carry Permits, even if 'Restrictions' are listed on the permit. Restrictions may include, but are not limited to: On the way to/from bonafide pistol range, while fishing, hiking, camping (careful about Federal Parks), bicycling.....little help here guys..any more I forgot?

Local PD had asked me once when I have gotten stopped in the past (tail light out) why I was carrying with a RESTRICTION on my permit?
I said I was on the way to the range and he let it go. I have since gone in front of my issuing judge and he was kind enough to remove the restriction after I wrote a letter and spoke with him in court. I can now 'legally' carry everywhere in NYS, except NYC and certain parts of Albany.

Hope that helped a little. Oh yeah, best to send pistols to an FFL while you're waiting on the paperwork, unless you keep a residence in PA. Then you can drive them over yourself after you get your license and everything you own (pistol wise) listed on the permit. Just don't go through Jersey on your way to Westchester.

#4 ·
some more info that you may or may not have already found: Pistol Permits As long as your record is clear then you will be issued a NYS pistol permit which is legally a CCW permit good to carry concealed throughout the state of NY except NYC. I believe that the Westchester county judge(s) place administrative restrictions on the permits that are issued there. (example: sporting, target, hunting) this means that (administratively) you can only carry to and from the range and/or while hunting. Legally speaking, they have no bearing and you can legally carry concealed on them...in other words you won't be breaking the LAW if you carry concealed but you will be breaking the RULES if you do so. Since this is not a shall issue state you can have your permit revoked for any reason and carrying outside of the rules would be one reason to have your permit revoked (though again, you would not face any criminal charges). This is something that some new yorkers have to deal with depending on your county judge and only you can determine what level of "carry" you want to push while fitting in with the rules. Some places do still issue unrestricted permits and, thankfully I'm in one of those place...but many people aren't and I feel your pain. Some people decide to become members of 24 hour ranges and "always be on the way to the range" so they can always carry. Again this is a personal risk tolerance thing...just remember that if you loose your carry permit then you can no longer possess any of your handguns legally in the state. Many of the gun owners that I know living here are trying to find a way out. Combine the high consumer prices, second highest overall tax burden in the country with an extremely oppressive second amendment "privilege" and you'll get the idea. I have 535 days left here and I'm literally counting them down. Not trying to sound negative just trying to give you the whole picture.

#5 ·
Thanks

Greetings,

Thanks for the info. The only gun laws I am familiar with are with Pennsylvania. I've heard some stories about how difficult it can be to get a CCW in a may-issue state. But from what you told me, the Westchester county doesn't seem so bad. I'll call the Coyne park range when I get a chance.
The reason I may be moving to the area is that my girl got a job she really likes in the area. I'm working on my masters degree in physics, so I'll be looking for a job in that area as well when I am finished. Not sure if I'll go with a teaching position or R&D. If everything works out, it'll be a permanent move. Thanks for the info!

Sincerely,
Pete

#6 ·
Westchester county

Greetings,

Just read your post after I posted ,Raysheen, thanks for the perspective. Everything is tentative right now, we haven't made any decisions yet. Another option I was thinking was living in Connecticut, if the commute isn't so bad. I just want to get some info and perspective before we make any decisions.

Sincerely,
Pete

#7 ·
I am two counties north of Westchester, and basically, it is up to a local judge to decide what kind of permit to issue. I suggest that you put all possible uses on your application, i.e; target, hunting, etc. This way, the judge might not arbitrarilly issue a "residence" permit instead of a "no restriction" permit. Also, you can expect to wait about 4 months.

If you need more info, please feel free to private message me, if desired.

Good Luck!
Jonathan

#8 ·
If you are only going to be working in Westchester then I would suggest looking further north for a place to live. Dutchess and Putnum counties.
From the AR15.com NY Hometown forum:

Duchess County

Cost: ~$20 + $99

Eligibility Requirements:
1.) 21 years old
2.) 1/2 year residence in the county.
3.) 4 references who have known you for 1/2 year and who have also lived in the county for > 1/2 year.
4.) Background check, mental health check, & finger printing

Process Time: 3-6 months, may vary..

Restrictions: Permit not good in NYC. Unrestricted permit

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 4-7 days for purchase ticket in the mail, then go pick up pistol.

Personal Experience: Duchess Co Pistol Permit staff gets three thumbs up.

Where to go: Sheriff:Obtaining A Pistol Permit

Putnam County

Cost: @$120

Eligibility Requirements:
1.) 21 years old
2.) Must be Putnam resident for 6 months.
2.) 4 NY references who have known you for 3 years.
3.) Background check, mental health check, & finger printing

Process Time: It can take up to 4 months, but mine was done in about 10 weeks.

Restrictions: Initial licenses are "hunting & target shooting only." If you specifically ask for a license with no restrictions, i.e. 'full carry', you will have to go before one of the county judges and ask for it. Have no fear, the judge is a reasonable man.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 5 or so days and go pick up your coupon, or have it mailed to you. Your first pistol purchase ticket is pre-signed, meaning you can purchase it the day you get it added to your permit.

Personal Experience: Both the County Clerk's office and the Sheriff's department are friendly and helpful. There is no stigma attached to getting a pistol license in Putnam.

Where to go: Putnam County Sheriff's office www.putnamsheriff.com/modules/news/

Good luck!

#10 ·
I lived in the very expensive Westchester County and worked in WP most of my life. My brother lives there and on my last visit there he stated that they are starting to be a little more lienient issuing permits. You might be better off in Putnam County which is only 30 miles north of White Plains. Not sure about Connecticut laws but WP is only 20 min from CT. Stay away from Rockland County working in Westchester. You have to deal w/the Tappan Zee bridge. I'd rather have simultaneous operations on my hemmoriods and a root canal then deal w/that scenario on a daily basis.
Good luck with your decisions.

#16 ·
P.S. to Whisky19:

You might want to check this out:
http://blog.nysrpa.org/?cat=11&paged=2

Seems as though there have been a lot of complaints about this so-called proposal, and editorials against it. I do not think it has become law yet. The antis are trying, but from what I see in opposition, I think it has little chance of passing. But I will remain vigilant. Thanks again for alerting me to this possible infringment on our rights!

#18 ·
I had heard that when Cuomo was Governor, he made certain areas of Albany a no-no to carry in. LE excused as well as the criminal because....'If they listened to the law they wouldn't BE criminals'...that was my quote. I used the quote signs for effect...:image035:

#19 ·
I had heard that when Cuomo was Governor, he made certain areas of Albany a no-no to carry in.
As far as I am aware, that was never enacted, and all of NY State (except for NYC) is still ok to carry.

But, I had forgotten about that. Now it looks as though Spitzer is having a fall from grace as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.