Virginia's Governor vetoed two pro gun bills: MERGED

This is a discussion on Virginia's Governor vetoed two pro gun bills: MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; JD, you sure about that? I was under the understanding that it can't be concealed in a vehicle......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virginia's Governor vetoed two pro gun bills: MERGED

JD, you sure about that? I was under the understanding that it can't be concealed in a vehicle...
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

2. Remove Ads

What if you mounted a holster to your dash board?
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RjVA View Post
    JD, you sure about that? I was under the understanding that it can't be concealed in a vehicle...
    Exactly the point I'm making.

You said:

We are also an open carry state. No need to lock up your firearm.
    Which appeared to me that as it's an OC state, you didn't need to lock up your gun.

To which I replied with:
    Unless you're in the car.
    Meaning that although VA is an OC state, if you're in the car and don't have your permit, it better be secured.

In VA concealed carry in your car is lawful when the carrier has a permit to carry a concealed handgun and that person carries the firearm on their person (pistol or revolver). Long guns do not count as the permit is specifically toward as stated on the permit "handgun".
    Secure a resident or non-resident concealed handgun permit and you are then okay to carry on your person within your vehicle. As VA is a no permit required open carry (not concealed) state, the carry of a firearm in ones vehilce then introduces the condition of it having to be secured and locked during 'transport' for those persons who do not possess a permit either from VA or by one of it's reciprocal states.

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry
    LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    What if grass hoppers had machine guns?

There are a million "what ifs" I'm not going to try any of them.

I have my permit, I can have 3 guns stuffed in my pants under two shirts, and sit on another two guns, while having 4 in the unlocked glove box and it's legal.

I don't care about the "what ifs'

My general consensus is, OC all you want, but still get your permit, that way you don't have to test a what if in court.

Know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    A holster mounted to the dashboard or elsewhere of ones car is not being 'carried', it is then stowed/stored during transport.
    At that point you run into problems with VA state law as indicated early in on the thread.

The simple solution is to apply for and secure a VA concealed handgun permit.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I guess the key phrase is... "when such weapon is hidden from common observation."

Ugh, such grey area..... Thx JD....
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RjVA View Post
    I guess the key phrase is... "when such weapon is hidden from common observation."

Ugh, such grey area..... Thx JD....
    You're welcome.

Kaine is such an idiot! First he runs for office as "2nd ammendment friendly" and then vetos 2 bills that make 100% sense - the one to close the stupid ban on lawful, CCW permit holders to carry concealed in anyplace that sells alcohol (that's most restaurants and even some movie theaters) and the other bill that would let lawful Virginia citizens (who can legally open carry) store their firearm in a locked container in their vehicle. HELLO KAINE!!!! What's a law abiding citizen who exercises their right for open carry suppossed to do when they go into a business that forbids firearms? Just leave the gun out on the car seat in plain view????
    Both of these bills were common sense additions (or corrections) to Virginia's current laws.
    There was also a bill earlier in the year that would have allowed VA residents with CCW permits to carry on campus at universities - but that one never saw the light of day. Heaven forbid we try to defend ourselves against all these psychos who are shooting up the schools. Heck - if one or two of those students at VA Tech had been carrying legally, maybe Cho would have been stopped before killing so many...

Kaine wasn't an idiot, he was smart.
    He did what many have done before, 'bait 'n switch'...shuck and jive.

Also 2nd Amendment friendly has proven to be a national politics euphemism for 'I respect hunters and those from rural areas right to bear arms', but with caveats, clauses, and conditions that are not inclusive amongst the 2A.
    See Bush, McCain, Clinton, Romney, Obama...

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by braindonor View Post
    How does one legally carry a handgun in a car in Virginia, if the locked case idea doesn't work? How to get one home from the store, or to the range?
    You can carry it openly on the seat right next to you fully loaded... but it's illegal to have it unloaded in a locked glove box unless you are carrying it to/from a shooting range, gunsmith, or a show.

Luckily , the clerk said that I should be expecting a call this week to come pick up my permit... so this won't matter after that :D
    --never fight with an idiot, for he'll bring you down to his level and beat you by experience.--

"Stupid is forever. You can't change stupidity." - Temple's Basketball Coach John Chaney to the home crowd

What if's.....

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You're welcome.
    Gotto agree with JD here... there are too many "what if's". Bottom line is concealled is concealled however you look at it, do it legally and your covered. And 'OPEN" to plain view ie on your dashboard or on your passenger seat is completely legal. Whenever I get into my truck I always put my SA Micro into the holster I have mounted next to my center console(easier to get to if needed). Its not in plain view to the law if they ever needed to pull me over but then again my permit allows me to hide it from plain view, and I'd never put it on my dash for Anti-gun Momma and her 3 kiddies to see while they we were at a stop light. Could you imagine how that traffic stop would go!
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Senate Bill 476 (Hanger) would have allowed people to bring concealed weapons into restaurants that serve alcohol, under certain conditions.
    “Allowing concealed weapons into restaurants and bars that serve alcohol puts the public, the employees, and our public safety officers at risk,” Governor Kaine said. “I take seriously the objections of law enforcement to this measure.”
    Comment: Since 66 votes in Virginia's house of Delegates are required to override the veto, it is unlikely it will be overridden.
    What the fine Governor failed to realize is that you can carry a gun into a restaurant and drink as long as it was not concealed. At least this bill would have made it illegal to drink and carry a gun in a restaurant.

Tuttleje... your comment is a bit concerning and I hope you've considered the legal ramifications of what would ever happen if you were in a restaurant/bar drinking and something ever happened that you needed to use your gun. Could be anyone not just you but it brings a good point to light. (DONT DO IT!!!) Plus what isn't in you original post, Senate Bill 467 required anyone with a legally concealled weapon permit, if they were carrying, to notify a trusted member of the establishment that they were in fact carrying. Doesnt that take away from the whole point of concealled carry? So nobody know that you are?

I have open carried in restaurants/bars but I've never consumed alchohol when I have. Once again there is the possiblility of Anti-Gun Momma and her 3 kiddies calling the LEO while enjoying a good meal telling of the gun carrying guy sitting at the bar pounding down shots (while you only had 1 or 2 drinks with dinner) and getting hastled with breathalizers and being face down on the pavement when you walked outside with your family with the entire restaurant watching.
    Just a bit of food for thought but if you ever wanted to do that them please call your lawyer first and give him a heads up.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

JD
    Administrator
    Overall I'm not upset about this bill not being passed, the notify someone clause was retarded. Regarding making it illegal to drink while carrying, there's all ready text in the current laws relating to carrying a handgun while under the influence.

Any person granted a concealed handgun permit who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such weapon in a public place shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    Who knows, maybe this will just open us up for better written legislation next time around.

VIP Member
    In Virginia it is LEGAL to carry a loaded firearm as long as it is visible. 'in common view'....You CAN leave it on the seat beside you or even on the dash.

You can't put it the glove compartment, console or under the seats...IT MUST BE IN PLAIN VIEW.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links