Virginia's Governor vetoed two pro gun bills: MERGED

This is a discussion on Virginia's Governor vetoed two pro gun bills: MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From Kaine's news release......no surprise here. Governor Kaine vetoed two bills having to do with carrying concealed weapons. Senate Bill 436 (Vogel) would have allowed ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virginia's Governor vetoed two pro gun bills: MERGED

Virginia's Governor vetoed two pro gun bills: MERGED

From Kaine's news release......no surprise here.

Governor Kaine vetoed two bills having to do with carrying concealed weapons.

Senate Bill 436 (Vogel) would have allowed people to carry a concealed weapon in a car as long as it was in a locked compartment or container.

“I have the same concerns with this legislation today as when I vetoed a similar bill two years ago,” Governor Kaine said. “This measure runs contrary to existing state law regarding concealed weapon permits, allowing persons who have not completed a criminal background check, and who are untrained with a handgun, to possess a firearm in a concealed manner within a locked compartment in their automobiles.

“It also presents a danger to our law enforcement officers, who risk their lives for Virginians on a daily basis while patrolling our Commonwealth’s roads and highways. The objections of law enforcement to this measure are compelling.”

Senate Bill 476 (Hanger) would have allowed people to bring concealed weapons into restaurants that serve alcohol, under certain conditions.

“Allowing concealed weapons into restaurants and bars that serve alcohol puts the public, the employees, and our public safety officers at risk,” Governor Kaine said. “I take seriously the objections of law enforcement to this measure.”

Comment: Since 66 votes in Virginia's house of Delegates are required to override the veto, it is unlikely it will be overridden.
    What the fine Governor failed to realize is that you can carry a gun into a restaurant and drink as long as it was not concealed. At least this bill would have made it illegal to drink and carry a gun in a restaurant.

Again, law abiding citizens suffer while criminals rejoice.

2. Remove Ads

How does one legally carry a handgun in a car in Virginia, if the locked case idea doesn't work? How to get one home from the store, or to the range?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by braindonor View Post
    How does one legally carry a handgun in a car in Virginia, if the locked case idea doesn't work? How to get one home from the store, or to the range?
    Unloaded, locked in a case, ammo separate for range travel etc.

While taking the gun home from the store: See below post....

JD
    Administrator
    Cont'

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

You can read the whole text of the current legislation in the link above, the quoted text is just an excerpt from the current law as I didn't want to clutter the forum with the whole content of the statute.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Unloaded, locked in a case, ammo separate for range travel etc.

While taking the gun home from the store, as long as you have your receipt and the gun isn't loaded you're OK.
    (trying to find the current legislation as I type this)
    This bill was for having a loaded gun in your car.
    WOW! That's crazy to me! In MS your car is an extension of your home!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    WOW! That's crazy to me! In MS your car is an extension of your home!!
    Yeah it's a pain, but note: This is if you don't have your permit to carry.

We are also an open carry state. No need to lock up your firearm.
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Car carry

Two options: Keep the gun unloaded and secured, here is the letter of the law:"provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported"

Open Carry is legal.
    I'm your worst nightmare, a liberal with a gun.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RjVA View Post
    We are also an open carry state. No need to lock up your firearm.
    Unless you're in the car.

So anyone can have it on their hip in a car?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Man, what a loser... I'd let his office as well as everyone who'd listen know that come election time I'd be doing everything in my power to make sure he doesn't see another term. Virginians have my sympathies.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    So anyone can have it on their hip in a car?
    There's debate on that. Based on my interpretation( I AM NOT A LAWYER), of the following:

Based on the statute and decisions rendered by the Supreme Court, a weapon is considered to be concealed at any time it is placed in a location as to be within reach of the person, without the person being required to make an overt act to retrieve such weapon, when such weapon is hidden from common observation. Placing a weapon under the seat, on the seat hidden from common observation, or at any location from which the weapon can readily be retrieved is considered to be concealed. A person carrying a weapon in the unlocked glove compartment of an automobile, if the person does not have a permit or otherwise fall within any statutory exemption, is a violation of 18.2-308(A), unless some particular fact or circumstance renders the weapon inaccessible.
    I'd have to say no, as that when seated in a car, the firearm will be:

...or at any location from which the weapon can readily be retrieved is considered to be concealed.
    Concealing a firearm without a permit is bad mojo in VA.

Granted it's an OC state, once it's deemed that you were illegally concealing a firearm, you're toast, you may win in court, you may not, but I wouldn't want to be the test case.

Man we have to get this fool out of office.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

What if you velcroed it to the dash while you were in it...hardly could be considered concealed...right?
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Yea, that sucks! Seated it would not be seen. I wonder what the % of the state, or any state, has permits? Has anyone seen those numbers?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links