Disabled Carrier gets Made

This is a discussion on Disabled Carrier gets Made within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Awhile back I was cruising a local outdoor Flea Market in my motorized wheelchair when someone taps me on the shoulder. The fellow was pointing ...

Thread: Disabled Carrier gets Made

Disabled Carrier gets Made

Awhile back I was cruising a local outdoor Flea Market in my motorized wheelchair when someone taps me on the shoulder. The fellow was pointing to the butt of my painfully obvious .45 sticking out of my tee shirt. "Why does an old guy in a wheelchair need so much firepower" he asked. My answer was fast and to the point. Number one, I said a guy like me is a sitting duck target. Number two I can't run away from a bad situation. I have to sit and fight. I thanked him for pointing out my weapon and covered up. I now carry a micro Kahr MK9 and have no trouble with concealment.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

2. Remove Ads

I carry a 45 and i sit a lot from spinal cord injury i use a wheel chair sometimes,I have a crossreed iwb holster and my weapon doesn't print,sometimes you need to find a good holster that works for you

The answer is; Because you're not a man of steel AND are in a wheelchair.

Predators prey on those they deem to be weaker, weakened, or simply weak period.
    Prey largely do not understand this because they don't know or have the mindset of a predator.

- Janq carries a .45 and is in 100% healthful and excellent physical condition
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Excellent answers bluesteel. Would a cross-draw type holster work better for your .45?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Good answer bluesteel... but it makes me wonder just how stupid someone has to be to ask a guy in a wheelchair why he needs protection!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Good answer bluesteel... but it makes me wonder just how stupid someone has to be to ask a guy in a wheelchair why he needs protection!
    No kidding Thumper, that dufus must be permanently at the UNAWARE level.

I have a friend who has a Handicapped placard but often won't display it just so he doesn't get IDed by BGs and he packs.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    Awhile back I was cruising a local outdoor Flea Market in my motorized wheelchair when someone taps me on the shoulder. The fellow was pointing to the butt of my painfully obvious .45 sticking out of my tee shirt. "Why does an old guy in a wheelchair need so much firepower" he asked. My answer was fast and to the point. Number one, I said a guy like me is a sitting duck target. Number two I can't run away from a bad situation. I have to sit and fight. I thanked him for pointing out my weapon and covered up. I now carry a micro Kahr MK9 and have no trouble with concealment.
    The MK9 is a great little gun,I like it better than my PM9.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    Sounds like you had good answers ready for him. Granted I wouldn't have changed afterwards...I'd keep the .45, but that's just me and I don't have to worry about it not being concealed here in VA.

Some people just don't get it. In hindsight it would be nice to get his opinion on what is appropriate level of firepower...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Good answer bluesteel. It's none of his business what you do anyway.

Good answer. Now that I'm a little short on my left leg (i.e. it ends about 4 inches below the knee), I also feel even more the need to carry to protect myself. I can "limp" away, thanks to RoboLeg, but my running days are over...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Sam Andrews at Andrews Custom Leather makes a crossdraw holster that is perfect for wheelchair bound shooters. You could then comfortably go back to your .45.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Sam Andrews at Andrews Custom Leather makes a crossdraw holster that is perfect for wheelchair bound shooters. You could then comfortably go back to your .45.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check their site out. I really like my .45 better anyway, been shooting a .45 for 40+ yrs.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Bluesteel,
    I've got something for you if you want them. Let me know! I was in a bad motorcycle accident several years ago, and my buddy Chris Lynch, owner of Alumagrips, sent me these. They've been in my closet forever, and reading this post I thought of them. They're for a full-size 1911, no ambi cut, tapered bottom. PM me your address and they're yours!
    Tracy
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links