Lots of no-carry in North Carolina, eh?

This is a discussion on Lots of no-carry in North Carolina, eh? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I will soon be visiting family in NC. Here I was looking forward to the fact that I would finally be spending some time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of no-carry in North Carolina, eh?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Lots of no-carry in North Carolina, eh?

Well, I will soon be visiting family in NC. Here I was looking forward to the fact that I would finally be spending some time in a state that honors my Florida permit. (<RedStripe>Hooray, liberty!</RedStripe>)

Then I went to handgunlaw.us and looked up the off-limits places. So, pretty much every restaurant above the level of fast food (i.e., any place that serves alcohol for consumption on premises) as well as any place that charges admission (movie theaters, sports venues, &c.) are no-carry zones. And any place that posts no carry. And banks. And schools and gummint and public events and...

So much for enjoying the exercise of my rights. This is a vacation. We will be eating out, and not at fast food. And my dad says he is okay with me carrying, but his wife is one of those people who thinks guns will jump up and wreak havoc at any moment, so I better not let her see it. That also means that taking the time to lock up in the car is...shall we say, problematic. And OC (if it is even allowed, which I hadn't bothered to look up yet) is right the heck out for the same reason.

Oh, bother.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Yep, kinda aggravating but better than days before CWL. I just try to avoid the "no carry" places much as possible.

VIP Member
    Granted we have a lot of "criminal empowerment zones" but we do have GRNC (Grassroots North Carolina) working to make things better.

Welcome to GRNC

Welcome to North Carolina and enjoy your stay.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    When I visit my Granddaughter in NC I don't carry when I'm there.
    The no-no list makes it a pain.

But at least I can carry unlike South Carolina.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

you can carry in Ihop and Waffle House. Thats all i have checked out so far.
    I called up the alcoholics anonymous for a lift of non alcohol serving places to eat.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    And schools and gummint and public events and...
    gummint? huh?

EDIT: I'm not liking the topic of this thread,...I'm planning a trip to NC myself real soon

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Welcome to NC and out incredibly over-restrictive carry regulations.

Should House Bill 476 be passed in it's current form in 2009, it would GREATLY help the cause of conceal carry by opening the door to allowing it everywhere. Everyone in NC needs to be aware of this bill.

We here in Georgia are in the same boat - plus we have a no carry at any public gathering clause - which is very wide open to speculation on what a public gathering constitutes. TN is also the same in regards to restaurants that serve alcohol. A lot of bill in various states to address this - but none really making any progress.

Also, don't forget that you must declare when approached by an LEO.

Welcome to North Carolina where you can carry anywhere but here...or there....or there.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    gummint? huh?
    From a detailed study of this board, I have determined that "gummint" is how a cranky, armed Southerner pronounces the word "government".
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    Should House Bill 476 be passed in it's current form in 2009, it would GREATLY help the cause of conceal carry by opening the door to allowing it everywhere. Everyone in NC needs to be aware of this bill.
    That would be great! Of course, by this summer my dad will move to South Carolina and I won't be able to carry on a visit at all...

Based on my reading of the applicable North Carolina General Statutes, it appears to me that a person with a concealed handgun permit can carry into an establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. I've sent an email to handgunlaw.us asking them to doublecheck this. I'll let y'all know what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDriver View Post
    Based on my reading of the applicable North Carolina General Statutes, it appears to me that a person with a concealed handgun permit can carry into an establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. I've sent an email to handgunlaw.us asking them to doublecheck this. I'll let y'all know what they say.
    Absolutely untrue. You can not carry a firearm, whether openly or concealed, into an establishment the serves alcohol for consumption on the premises.

Do a Google search on "NC firearms laws" the second link you come to will lead you to a PDF file from the states attorney generals office. In that document it lays out where firearms are not permitted as well as other info that any NC CCWer needs to know.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Yep our state is a bit on the Bi-polar side of affairs. We never get a pro-gun law passed without an anti-gun measure.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links