I've got three states to choose between. - Page 2

I've got three states to choose between.

This is a discussion on I've got three states to choose between. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Daniella A LA or FL permit will not allow us to carry our guns back to California, right?! Is open carry and ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got three states to choose between.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    A LA or FL permit will not allow us to carry our guns back to California, right?! Is open carry and restaurant carry allowed in any of these states?
    As far as Florida goes, Open Carry is a no-go except in very limited circumstances (on your own property, while hunting / fishing in some areas, etc.)

Restaurant carry is permitted, so long as you are not in that portion of a restaurant primarily created for serving alcohol. So if you go into a restaurant that has a bar area, you are free to carry concealed and sit at a table away from the bar, but you cannot enter the bar area for any reason (including entering or leaving the establishment or using the restroom facilities).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

whereabouts in California are you moving from? I moved from San Diego to Miami a year ago. I lived in California for over 15 years before getting outta dodge. Florida is cool, u just gotta get used to it. Humidity is something you have to get used to. Cost of living is cheaper. Just dont make the mistake of getting a stupid mortgage. Rent with no commitments and u can live on the beach and it's a fraction of the cost of Kalifornistan. CCW almost anywhere here, no open carry though . Wider selection of firearms to choose from, plus magazines , etc, not the regulated crap in California.

dont know much about texas though. Heard good things so texas may be another good alternative.

I used to live in Arizona, too (military background). No beach and the heat sucks.

Whatever yer plans are , best of luck

1943 - 2009
    California only honor a Texas Permit.
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but California does not honor any other states' permits.

Or am I mistaken?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    FL is a little better with respect to restaurant carry and more importantly IMO, there isn't any provision in FL whereby a business can simply post a sign and legally keep you from carrying there.
    I'm curious what you are referring to here. There are no issues in carrying in restaurants in TX and CHLs can ignore all signs except for a legal 30.06 or a red 51. I have never seen a red 51 and have only seen 1 applicable 30.06 ever. Just curious if there was something I didn't know about that I should.

Thanks
    JP
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I have a friend who is a sign maker. He's made probably a dozen 30.06 signs for various companies...He always makes them in 7/8" letters...He thinks it's funny. I do to.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post
    I'm curious what you are referring to here. There are no issues in carrying in restaurants in TX and CHLs can ignore all signs except for a legal 30.06 or a red 51. I have never seen a red 51 and have only seen 1 applicable 30.06 ever. Just curious if there was something I didn't know about that I should.

Thanks
    JP
    In FL you can carry into any restaurant.....no matter how much of their revenue they derive from alcohol vs. food. The only provision is that you cannot carry in the bar portion of a restaurant.

FL has no 30.06 or red 51 signs at all.

Minor differences to be sure. Both states are great from a CCW standpoint.

BTW....one thing I don't know. How is TX with respect to other weapons, primarily knives? Autos, balisongs, fixed blades, etc....all ok for a permit holder? I assume so, but don't know for sure.....

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    In FL you can carry into any restaurant.....no matter how much of their revenue they derive from alcohol vs. food. The only provision is that you cannot carry in the bar portion of a restaurant.

Minor differences to be sure. Both states are great from a CCW standpoint.

BTW....one thing I don't know. How is TX with respect to other weapons, primarily knives? Autos, balisongs, fixed blades, etc....all ok for a permit holder? I assume so, but don't know for sure.....
    Our is a Concealed Handgun License not a concealed weapon permit.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but California does not honor any other states' permits.

Or am I mistaken?
    I copy from handgunlaws.us and "who honor my permit";
    California; AK*, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, MT, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT*

Texas; AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NJ, NY, NM,
    NV, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VA, WA, WY,

I might be wrong but..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post

Or am I mistaken?
    According to everything I can find, California does not honor ANY other State permit, so you can elminate that from the decision making process.

As most have said, the beaches in FL are much nicer than the beaches in TX, the gun laws are more-or-less the same (of course there are differences, but the MAJOR ideas are the same), neither has a state income tax.

LA is not CCW friendly, for the most part, and there just ain't much to do there unless your life revolves around sitting in a pine forest (I was stationed there for two years) or you live in NO, and I wouldn't do that on a bet... Also, I never found one beach in LA that I would even remotely consider "nice," but then again I grew up on one of the best beaches in the country so I'm probably spoiled.

ETA: According to California CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info - Re California, "This State does not honor any other CCW permits."

According to http://www.handgunlaw.us/maps/texas_map.gif, CA does not honor TX or FL permits.

From Concealed Firearm Carry Permit in California: Information Database:
    I have a permit from (any other state). Is my permit honored in California?
    California does not honor any other state’s concealed weapons permits!
    And the capper, from the CA Attorney General's website here: Frequently Asked Questions - Public - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
    I live in another state and have a permit to carry a concealed handgun that was issued in my home state. Does my permit allow me to carry a concealed handgun while in California?

No. Weapons permits from other states are not valid in California.
    (PC Sections 12025-12031)

If they (handgunlaw.us) say otherwise on another part of their own site, I think that they simply screwed up. Always worth double-checking, you don't want to get caught carrying in CA on a TX or FL (or anyone else's) permit.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanside View Post
    whereabouts in California are you moving from? I moved from San Diego to Miami a year ago. I lived in California for over 15 years before getting outta dodge. Florida is cool, u just gotta get used to it. Humidity is something you have to get used to. Cost of living is cheaper. Just dont make the mistake of getting a stupid mortgage. Rent with no commitments and u can live on the beach and it's a fraction of the cost of Kalifornistan. CCW almost anywhere here, no open carry though . Wider selection of firearms to choose from, plus magazines , etc, not the regulated crap in California.

dont know much about texas though. Heard good things so texas may be another good alternative.

I used to live in Arizona, too (military background). No beach and the heat sucks.

Whatever yer plans are , best of luck
    Thanks for your wishes..Moving from East Bay. To either Florida or Texas..I guess it all comes down to living costs and accession to know stores like Starbucks and Jack in the box..And where we can get a nice flat with a patio over the beach..

I copy from handgunlaws.us and "who honor my permit";
    California; AK*, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, MT, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT*

Texas; AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NJ, NY, NM,
    NV, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VA, WA, WY,

I might be wrong but..
    They goofed. CA honors nothing.

Okay,thanks..So no points for texas that is..

Interesting, are there any other places that are standard no carry places? Athletic events, federal places like the post office or polling places, etc...?

JP

Thanks for your wishes..Moving from East Bay. To either Florida or Texas..I guess it all comes down to living costs and accession to know stores like Starbucks and Jack in the box..And where we can get a nice flat with a patio over the beach..
    Do you want to watch the sun come up, or go down over the beach? Atlantic coast or Gulf Coast. Beaches are better on the Gulf Coast and I personally like to end the day with an adult beverage while watching the sunset..... Of course, I'm sitting as far away from the water as you can get, here in Central FL. Go figure.

With the current housing slump, condo prices around here have dropped dramatically due to having been over built. Huge buyers market if that's what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post
    Interesting, are there any other places that are standard no carry places? Athletic events, federal places like the post office or polling places, etc...?

JP
    Yep, all of the above. Also schools (of course) and police stations/jails. Here's the complete list.....

Possession Restrictions - Weapons - Division of Licensing, DOACS

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links