I've got three states to choose between.

This is a discussion on I've got three states to choose between. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MountainPacker They goofed. CA honors nothing. They absolutley goofed. CA doesn't honor any other state's permit. Some counties even claim they won't ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I've got three states to choose between.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    They goofed. CA honors nothing.
    They absolutley goofed. CA doesn't honor any other state's permit. Some counties even claim they won't honor permits from other CA counties! (S.F.)

2. Remove Ads

Don't forget all the lovely weather in Florida, Hurracians mainly is what I am talking about. That is why insurance rates are through the roof if you can get it at all. And don't forget your neighbor the alligators. I hear they love swimming pools especially on the gulf side.

TDPalmer

If you want to be near water, you're gonna suffer tremendously from the heat/humidity problems. LA is out, one of the most corrupt states from the ground up. Florida is expensive and filled with snowbirds half the year. There are some very nice spots in Texas. I like the area around Corpus Christy. Of course, NONE of them stack up against the versatility of Arizona. Here in central Phoenix right now, I can be sitting by my pool in the morning and snow skiing just over two hours later. I can be scuba diving in near-tropical waters just 8 hours south, or be in front of a roaring fireplace at my cabin in the tall pines at 7000 feet in two hours. Los Angeles, San Diego, Laughlin, and Vegas are a half day drive, and you can be on the beach in Puerto Penasco, Mexico in three hours. Very gun friendly and our reciprocity is growing weekly. All that and NO HUMIDITY!!!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

All the above mentioned states are good pro gun states if it were me I would be looking at sales tax, income tax, homeowners insurance and general cost of living. Florida taxes on the coast are insane, even in the panhandle some people are paying up to 12,000 dollars a year on a 1200 to 1400 square foot home in taxes and that's not counting insurance. I don't know about Tx or La.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I want to rent while in school,for then to buy. So I am leaning towards FL. But where do I find the best access to IDPA and IPSC training areas?

AZ you almost have me talked into moving to AZ
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Better hurry, between the brown flood from the south, and the pale white snowbirds from Minnesota, we're being overrun!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    I want to rent while in school,for then to buy. So I am leaning towards FL. But where do I find the best access to IDPA and IPSC training areas?
    If you are thinking of Florida State in Tallahassee, this is about the only local place with events. Tallahassee Rifle & Pistol Club, Inc.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

FL would satisfy the sun AND sea requirement. Good CCW laws. One really good one is:

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.

If you end up having to shoot a BG in self defense, the lowlife's family (or lowlife himself, if he survived) can't sue you.

As for IDPA/IPSC, really depends where you're going to be. We have two outdoor gun clubs in my county that host IDPA, and I think they both do IPSC as well. A couple of indoor ranges have shooting leagues. Three gun and Class 3 competitions are held around here as well.

West coast has the Gulf o' Mexico. East coast has the Atlantic. If you're on the central east coast, you can watch shuttle and rocket launches. Well...shuttle launches for a little while longer.

Unfortunately, they don't allow hunting rifles into Disney during tourist season...

-JT

Exclamation Other Resources

A lot of good stuff here already, so I'll just add one comment:

Find a new or recent copy of The Places rated Almanac!

It has tons of data on all aspects of different cities and areas all over the US. Schools, crime, health care, taxes, entertainment, recreational opportunities, economy, jobs, ages, demographics, ad infinitum ad naseum.

We've moved five times, and every time we used the most recent version to help chose locale. It is a fantastic aid.

Look here: Places Rated Almanac - The Classic Guide for Finding Your Best Places to Live in America by David Savageau!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Find a new or recent copy of The Places rated Almanac!
    Thanks for the tip, I am relocating soon as well and this looks like just what we were looking for.
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    West Coast of Florida only.
    East to just too crowded and costs a bunch more.
    Real Estate prices are starting to level off, I think.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Depends where along both coasts. Around Tampa is gonna be pretty high compared to further up or down the coast. On the east coast, Brevard, Indian River, and St. Lucie counties are relatively cheaper than the Boca/W.P.B. area.

Location, location, location :)

-JT

Well...everything from West Palm Beach down to Homestead would work as am thinking of applying to MDC and City College Fort Lauderdale..

Are you applying for work, or education? There are schools all over the state, regardless.

I don't know of any clubs in that area that support IDPA or IPSC matches. In Brevard County, we've got two clubs that do IDPA, IPSC, and Cowboy action shooting monthly, to name a few.

I've always seen W.P.B. to be a bit more 'snooty'...and usually in FL, that equates to a less gun-friendly crowd, in my experience.

-JT

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links