I've got three states to choose between. - Page 8

I've got three states to choose between.

This is a discussion on I've got three states to choose between. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kazzaerexys I posted a link in a different thread, but it seems Florida allows car carry w/o a CCW permit. Search this ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: I've got three states to choose between.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I posted a link in a different thread, but it seems Florida allows car carry w/o a CCW permit. Search this page from the Lee County Sherriff's Office for the word 'vehicle'.
    A handgun can be carried in a car without a permit as long as it is concealed and 'securely encased'. 'Securely encased' does not mean 'encased securely'.

By this I mean that the gun does not need to be in a case that can be locked. It basically means the gun cannot be 'readily accessible'. Glove box counts (doesn't have to be locked). A lidded box, like a cigar box, under the seat is fine. Having the gun in its case on the floorboard is fine.

The problem is, it is entirely possible for a LEO to not properly interpret 'securely encased', so don't play with it too much. For example, having the gun in a paper bag with the stop rolled up and closed could probably count as not 'readily accessible', but I wouldn't push the issue.

However, I believe if the gun is readily accessible to someone who shouldn't have access (child, felon, etc), than you're in deep doodoo. I can see how having it in an unlocked glove compartment with a felon or child in the passenger seat could be risky.

Use common sense and don't be stupid, and you should be okay.

-JT

I'm in UT right now and have a UT permit although I'm moving back to the homeland(TX) in 160 days or so. The only thing I'll miss here is my occasional open carry. Texas doesn't allow it but I'm sure I can console myself with some brisket. :)
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Florida allows carry of a firearm in a car without a CHL as long as the weapon is not readily accessible (see the earlier post by Cthulhu) and also that it IS NOT concealed ON YOUR BODY! You can carry concealed on your person in a car only if you hold a valid CHL.

I think the 'not readily accessible' bit covers not being able to conceal on your person in a vehicle, but it's good you pointed that out explicitly, Tally.

-JT

51% in Texas, just means bars.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Florida allows carry of a firearm in a car without a CHL as long as the weapon is not readily accessible (see the earlier post by Cthulhu) and also that it IS NOT concealed ON YOUR BODY! You can carry concealed on your person in a car only if you hold a valid CHL.
    thats the same as in Texas.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    thats the same as in Texas.
    Not quite.
    In Texas in can be loaded and readily accessible without a CHL, it just has to be concealed, and you can't be part of a gang or commiting a crime other than a class c misdemeanor...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Texas

thats right, i forgot about the gang part.

― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I would vote for Texas over Florida, don't know about Louisiana (other than New Orleans used to be a great place to party). Of course, I'm looking to retire far enough from the ocean not to worry about hurricanes. If you must move to Florida, go to the Carribean side, there's fewer New Yorkers, Quebecers and snow birds from New Jersey. Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are from the Northeast, the west coast of FL is just friendlier.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Sponsored Links