I've got three states to choose between.

This is a discussion on I've got three states to choose between. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry guys, my hubby went back on his word about moving to AZ, so we are back at start. He wants to see the sea, ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got three states to choose between.

Sorry guys, my hubby went back on his word about moving to AZ,
    so we are back at start. He wants to see the sea, and I want to see the sun. So we have the following states to choose from:

Texas
    Florida
    Louisiana

All three states honor a bunch of other states. California only honor a Texas Permit. That means we can carry our guns when visiting friends in California right? Not sure how much that means though,since you can take it with you when flying.

In TX you can not carry in schools, amusement parks,hospitals or courts.But you can carry at state parks and road side rests.
    There is one point I am not sure at;

"A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on
    premises consumption"

How do you know the percentage? Is open carry allowed in Texas?

A LA or FL permit will not allow us to carry our guns back to California, right?! Is open carry and restaurant carry allowed in any of these states?

Which state is having the "best development" and most unlikely to change their point of view?

Anyone that has any tips or things they would like to share with us regarding this states?

Thanks for all your help and advise guys, I really appreciate it..

Administrator
    I go to Fla.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    "A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on
    premises consumption"

How do you know the percentage?
    we have that same law in michigan
    as far as practicality goes- just dont go to bars.
    sports bars can be iffy. its hard to know, its not like you are going to ask them. pretty much if they serve actual food and such (not just beer and hotwings), then i carry.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Florida or Texas..........but the Fl. coast is much better than in Tx.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

In Texas an establishment that gets 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcohol is off limits - but they must post a 51 sign (I think it must be large and in red/white). Elsewhere, it is ok to carry in most places but the ones you mention - unless a business posts a sign that reads the legal statute 30.06 verbatim in 1 inch lettering in English and in Spanish - and in two colors. I have only seen one such sign in my city and it was not a legal sign because it was not 1 inch lettering. I have heard of one hospital in my city that has it posted correctly. That's it Texas is a VERY friendly state.
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

Goel is correct. It is about 10" by 10", with a red 51 (5" tall) on white background. It will be posted conspicuously at the entrance of the establishment. It's very hard to miss. In the background it will say "The licensed or unlicensed possesion of a handgun...etc, etc, etc.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I lived in Florida for a looooooong time (23 of the last 27 years). It's fairly progressive about CCW. Texas is very gun-friendly as well. I would avoid Louisiana like the plaque (IMHO). I have heard nothing good about LA except it's duck hunting and food. Perhaps the state is OK and just New Orleans isn't. Every state has its quirks, but I'd look at Texas or Florida.

Florida has an unmanageable population issue, increasing by 800-1000 new residents per day - net (that factors people like me who raised the white flag and moved out). There are property tax issues (going thru the roof) and insurance issues (may not be able to buy homeowner's) and an increasing gang presence in the major cities. If you get out from the metro areas, Florida isn't a bad choice. Wages are about 10%-20% lower than the northeast, yet the cost of living is about the same. That's called the Sunshine Tax! People in Florida seem to be very angry most of the time. That may be because of the aforementioned issues or it may be because transplants arrive expecting things and they get peeved when they dont get it.

Texas is, well, Texas. Far more good than bad. There are a ton of Texans in the Forum and they can certainly advise you of the ins and outs. My perspective is that I always wanted to live in Texas, but God had other plans for me. I like the laws. I like the perceived attitude towards gun owners and most of the things I hear are very much pro-2A. Florida and Texas both have a huge illegal immigrant problem. Bottom line - I'd take Texas over Florida.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    In TX you can not carry in schools, amusement parks,hospitals or courts.But you can carry at state parks and road side rests.
    There is one point I am not sure at;

premises consumption"

How do you know the percentage? Is open carry allowed in Texas?
    There are 2 signs that you have to look out for in TX. An official 30.06 sign and the red 51. As I understand it, unless these are posted then you are fine (unless they fall into one of those special categories). You have to really search for an official 30.06 and even some of the ones that have tried to do it haven't followed all the rules which make it not applicable to your CHL.

There is no open carry here.

I would avoid Louisiana as a place to call home. Unless you speak Cajun.

From a practical stand point, your money will go a lot further here as it relates to buying a home and what not. Very low cost of living here. And no state income tax (same as FL though, except more expensive homes there).

JP
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

Administrator
    OK, after reading some posts here, I changed my mind. I'd go to TX, then Fla.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Fr a CCW standpoint, TX and FL are pretty darn close. Both are shall issue states with castle doctrine provisions and great reciprocity. FL is a little better with respect to restaurant carry and more importantly IMO, there isn't any provision in FL whereby a business can simply post a sign and legally keep you from carrying there.

Either state is great, and BTW, neither has a state income tax.

Comes down to which geography you prefer......and whether you can tolerate Texans!

I have a friend who is a sign maker. He's made probably a dozen 30.06 signs for various companies...He always makes them in 7/8" letters...He thinks it's funny. I do to.

As far as restaurants...I have never seen a restaurant with a 51% sign. Possibly some of the Bar and Grills, but those are mostly bars, not grills.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Can't really go wrong with either. TX has hurricanes - so does FL. FL is hot - so is TX. Florida waters > Tx waters. No state tax in FL - property taxes are less too (I believe). Insurance is about the same.

Depend on where you'll live in either.

Without a doubt...Texas

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    This is so good.........Places of the 51% law are suppose to put up a sign that can be seen when you enter the door.........but it they don't nothing happens to them. In most of the larger cities the city ordinances make an establishment that claims to be a restaurant has to be a restaurant ........ there by 51% of it sales must be made from the selling of food.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OK, after reading some posts here, I changed my mind. I'd go to TX, then Fla.
    Texas is bigger than FL, please go to TX...................
    Just kidding after Easter all the Yanks I mean visitors go home .Almost tolerable here. Then hurricane season begins.
    Homeowners insurance is almost impossible to get,taxes are sky high
    and crime is up in all urban areas.
    Gov. Christ new tax break has all of the public services wondering where there budget money is coming from.

Hope your not a senior citizen, and broke, just ranting, just filled up my truck @ 3.18 a gallon.
    I love it here, 85 degres and no snow, whats not to love!
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links